Thonglor's traffic police have excelled themselves

sprq

The police have excelled themselves. In Soi Thonglor, from Soi 21 all the way down to the canal flyover just before New Phetburi, they have just put dividers. This has to be for one sole reason: to stop drivers doing U-turns in order to go back into Soi 21, where a right turn has been blocked for many years. Drivers are supposed to do U-turns under the flyover, not close to Soi 21 or anywhere in that stretch, but many have been doing it in those places.

Was this a problem? Not really, it only briefly halted the traffic going south along Thonglor from New Phetburi, even when many drivers were too incompetent to do a correct U-turn -- with three lanes of space!!! -- in one go and had to reverse into the traffic in order to get space to continue.

Perhaps that messing about is what has caused the police to do this draconian act of dividing the road and preventing all turns of any kind in that stretch. Now if you’re going north and want to turn into anywhere in that stretch, it won’t be too bad now -- except in jams – to have to go  down to the U-turn under the flyover. But – duh!! – what about for those going south who need to turn right into properties on the west side. They’ll have to do a U-turn somewhere after Soi 21 in order to get back to where they want to go. Duh!!

My god, I could go on and on about the stupidity of the police and/or the city’s traffic engineers – but it’s always seemed to me that the latter have virtually no say in new traffic management moves, it’s the police solely in charge, unlike in developed countries..

What would be done in Europe or North America? For a busy T-junction like Soi 21 and Thonglor, there would be traffic lights or a roundabout (circle for Americans). But the Bangkok police minimise the installation of traffic lights for some reason (probably because they like manual operation and don’t have enough men to manage extra lights) and roundabouts are never ever considered, for reasons I cannot fathom. (The whole of Bangkok has only three roundabouts that I know of, huge ones which only exist to circumvent major monuments, namely DemocracyMonument, VictoryMonument, Wongwian Yai).

So there we have it: another massive over-reaction to a minor traffic issue creating more problems than it solves. Well done, BiB, your dumbness is world class. Meanwhile, I reach for my book of world philosophy for some calming words. You can only survive in this city if you’re philosophical about the rampant idiocy which you can do nothing about.

On 1/19/2017 at 11:14 PM, sprq said:

The police have excelled themselves. In Soi Thonglor, from Soi 21 all the way down to the canal flyover just before New Phetburi, they have just put dividers. This has to be for one sole reason: to stop drivers doing U-turns in order to go back into Soi 21, where a right turn has been blocked for many years. Drivers are supposed to do U-turns under the flyover, not close to Soi 21 or anywhere in that stretch, but many have been doing it in those places.

What would be done in Europe or North America? For a busy T-junction like Soi 21 and Thonglor, there would be traffic lights or a roundabout (circle for Americans). But the Bangkok police minimise the installation of traffic lights for some reason (probably because they like manual operation and don’t have enough men to manage extra lights)

I think you mean 20, not 21. And the problem with turning under the flyover (bridge) is the buses that constantly stop in the way.

The lights? The problem, as far as I am aware, is that they have been computerised for years, but the RTP prefer to play around with them manually - and the RTP's position rules, regardless of its inordinate stupidity. No doubt the computers would now need considerable updating. No doubt, the concept of roundabouts means the same problem - the BiB having to get out and do some proper work.

That is what they know, what their superior know and their superior before that?  Whenever shits hits the fan they pull out cones to close or divert traffic down to the next area!  This is done all the time in Pattaya.  Traffic management is over fifty years behind times. They haven't heard of computers yet.

When friends of mine from Asia come over to the U.S. the number one thing they are amazed at is 4-way stop signs, and the fact that drivers here actually wait their turn at the sign rather than just barging into the intersection and then slowly tring to get around all the other drivers who are doing the same thing. Never the twain shall meet.

15 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

You mean wouldn't. And yes, they would. The problem would not be the density of the traffic but that of the drivers, and the upkeepers of law.

There are a couple in Lampang. Unfortunately, despite posted instructions, most drivers can't figure out how to use them.

On 24 January 2017 at 5:29 PM, yardrunner said:

And when drivers have no idea of the traffic rules about using roundabouts 

I started sweating thinking about Bangkokions trying to use a roundabout, it would either be carnage or gridlock.

On 24/01/2017 at 5:29 PM, yardrunner said:

And when drivers have no idea of the traffic rules about using roundabouts 

I have lived in Thailand over a decade and still don't know what the 'rules' are for roundabouts here, if indeed there are any.

I most certainly know what they are in the UK where they work, as rules are followed.

Around Pattaya each roundabout seems to have different rules,  and never expect anyone to give way

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I have lived in Thailand over a decade and still don't know what the 'rules' are for roundabouts here, if indeed there are any.

I most certainly know what they are in the UK where they work, as rules are followed.

Around Pattaya each roundabout seems to have different rules,  and never expect anyone to give way

The rules are the same as everywhere else. They put up a sign with instructions next one in Lampang. Still no go.

On 1/24/2017 at 4:54 PM, Jonmarleesco said:
On 1/24/2017 at 4:52 PM, natway09 said:

Traffic roundabouts do not work with the density of traffic here. Fullstop

You mean wouldn't. And yes, they would. The problem would not be the density of the traffic but that of the drivers, and the upkeepers of law.

The bigger issue would be finding the space to build a roundabout.   Unless they knocked down a few buildings to accommodate a decent sized roundabout.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I was told that you have to give way to the left whether you are coming on to the roundabout or already on it, but that could be wrong.

On 1/24/2017 at 4:53 PM, Jonmarleesco said:

I think you mean 20, not 21. And the problem with turning under the flyover (bridge) is the buses that constantly stop in the way.

The lights? The problem, as far as I am aware, is that they have been computerised for years, but the RTP prefer to play around with them manually - and the RTP's position rules, regardless of its inordinate stupidity. No doubt the computers would now need considerable updating. No doubt, the concept of roundabouts means the same problem - the BiB having to get out and do some proper work.

The only time they will be getting out to do "proper work", is when it comes to tea money time.

12 hours ago, seank said:

I started sweating thinking about Bangkokions trying to use a roundabout, it would either be carnage or gridlock.

Apart from the stupidity and greed of the RTP, I have never had a problem driving or riding in Bangkok, I feel much safer there than say Roi Et.

The longer I'm in Thailand and the more I hear about lack of proper laws, the way Thai people ignore the laws they don't like, derision for the outdated computer systems here that expats laud in their own civilized countries, the more I'm inclined to stay here to see how it all turns out. I already know where the other road leads.

You see, I come from a country whose government adds 800 pages per day to the Federal Register containing all the rules and regulations required at the federal level that dictate how people live and interact with each other. All the state, county, city, and housing association laws and statutes are on top of that.

All government agencies at all the aforementioned levels have exquisitely linked and thoroughly advanced computer systems to track and enforce said laws and rules.
We have millions of miles of interstate, state, county, and city streets that are generally kept in good repair at significant cost to taxpayers citizens. Oh, and of course virtually every stop, turn, and intersection of these glistening thoroughfares is monitored constantly by unsleeping computers and video recorders with facial and license plate recognition programs. The better to keep us safe with.

Rules are enforced and justice meted out by increasingly well-equipped and militarized officers of The State.

Our intense education system is well-founded by ever-increasing property taxes. No child is left behind regardless of their personal or parental interest in learning or achieving.

Our markets are filled to overflowing with multiple variations on the same item, and foods, ranging from absurdly cheap to ridiculously expensive.

Medical and emergency care is generally available to everyone , everywhere at any time.
===================
What is the cost of these 'necessities ' of life and who pays for them you may ask.

What are the actual results and anticipated superb quality of all these spectacular endeavors?

Well first, the educational achievement of our students ranks well down the list against the rest of the world.

We enjoy the oversight, 'guidance', and care of approximately one uniformed officer for ever 100 citizens. They are even posted in our schools. Feel safer? No, not at all really.

The rapidly declining middle class pays for the lavish government programs from roads to education on diminishing real wages. The cost of having and raising a child to maturity costs over $360,000. That doesn't count college of course, which is now out of reach for most middle class families. Those same taxpayers can no longer support themselves and the State by their wages alone, despite two earner households. So they turn to their home loans and credit cards backed by cheap and available fiat currency printed and distributed by a State deeply in debt to the rest of the world who buys our bonds. Since they can't pay the mortgage with credit cards most lose their homes if they lose their jobs. Of course there is always the State to provide a pittance of welfare help every week if you are careful to follow the additional rules that such largesse harshly demands. They have so much and own so little.

Our Healthcare system bleeds the taxpayers again to provide that swift and readily available Healthcare for those that can't pay. For those that can the cost alone is likely to make you sick from stress.

The majority of our people are overweight and a large fraction of them are classified as obese. The majority of the food available would not have been fed to dogs 200 years ago when we still knew what real food was as opposed to manufactured food junk food essentially devoid of else but sugar/salt/fat/calories. In fact, our pets often eat more nutritious food than their owners do.

We lead the world in transportation-related death and injury, in diabetes, heart disease, violent deaths, hospital acquired infections, and Lawyers craving suites to prosecute against anyone for any reason, real or simply asserted to cause anguish or discouragement.

However we are quickly exporting this gross mischief to other countries as well.

Every child and adult has a cell phone and laptop computer with diminishing personal information worth conveying. We are all so thankful that the burden of being "smart" has been taken over by our phones.

They cannot count change or add double digit numbers without a calculator in their ubiquitous and mind-numbing phone if they even bothered to install such a useless app. That leaves more phone memory for selfies, videos, tunes, and the required dozen or so social apps they devote a third if their waking life to in order to provide free personal information to the sprawling surveillance apparatus of the State. The more the government knows about us the safer we are we are told. Loss of privacy is the cost of protection and security.

I was born in1949 and lived my life in this country and have seen first-hand how it has changed so dramatically as we became more "civilized, advanced, and law-abiding".

Be careful what you wish for Thailand to become when you wag your head at these stupid, unimaginative, primitive, uneducated, and rule-breaking natives eking out a miserable existence. Despite this they are often smiling or laughing while my countrymen are swallowing handfuls of pain- killers, antidepressants, and sleep aids along with their daily dose of vitamins, alcohol, and caffeine in preparation for their 1-2 hour commute to work at jobs they despise.

Pity these poor people, they imagine they are free while my countrymen know without doubt that they are not.

I offer this long sermon not to praise the glorious natives, nor to ridicule my homeland. Nor do I claim that all my statements are unequivalently true or beyond question. They are my personal observations and ruminations thus far in my life in the LOS.

So when I see a motorbike taking an extended shortcut against traffic or ignoring a non-smoking rule or traffic sign, or a corrupt cop/official, I reflect that I know of worse State-sponsored crimes that affect countless millions of people in tremendously more tragic, insidious, and virulent ways a few thousand miles away in a Glorious and Shining Paradise.

For my part, I believe that the Thai people have reached a reasonable compromise in life on this planet and am personally glad that this place still exists. The State seeks to homogenize the world's citizens into docile Wage-slaves that provide the elite with a ready supply of milk and meat.

Moreover, knowing that what must come is unstoppable, I simply wish to spend my remaining 20 or so years in relative freedom and obscurity. I even go the wrong way on my bike occasionally just to feel that spark of childish glee at getting one over on 'the Man'.

Call me a romantic and idealist; I guess I am, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Finally, and I am sure you thinking thankfully, I pose this simple question to the relentless and smug critics of this cesspool of humanity you call your second home:

Why don't you simply return to the welcoming bosom of your modern and maternalistic or paternalistic homeland?

You would undoubtedly feel more at peace and content there in the company of your own kind than here in this land of ignorant peasants who fancy themselves free.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Archived