Running car costs

swbaggies

13 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I'm sure. But one other benefit of all of that is the dealer offered me a far higher trade in value on a very competitively priced new model and he did that on the spot rather than having to find a buyer etc. Each to their own however.

Yes of course there is that side of it as they know the vehicle. I bought my izuzu pick up in 2011 then 2 years old for 420000bht private sale (Thai needed the money so quick cheap sale) Service stamped up to then by izuzu dealers. From then no service stamps as I do it I do however keep a full record of all work done and services I do with back up recipts. Last time it was in dealership was for a bit of body work damage (insurance job) last Nov. The dealer tried to get me to buy a new one with a trade in for mine he offered 400000bht for mine. Last insurance inspection valued it at 360000. Dealers will offer more as they can hang onto vehicle untill sold plus I suspect they just add on there over valuation to the new vehicle.

Edited by Deepinthailand

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a vehicle is 5 years old or greater, forget about the maintained service history being significant. Even replacing the nearly bald tires with cheap new rubber wasn't needed. The professional second-hand car buyer works primarily from a list based solely on make, model and age and then there's a quick visual to check the flush fit of body panels to catch the ones that have been in the body shop. Good looks trumps low-mileage and detailed service histories are irrelevant. My experience but yours may vary.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:25 PM, wpcoe said:

How do you dispose of the old oil?  Do service stations here accept such "donations"?

Most service stations will happily take them, because once their metal cans fill up, they sell the used oil in bulk. I keep the old containers of the engine oil and use them for keeping the old engine oil when I do oil changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Good day all

Great thread with good info. Want to post my experience yesterday and hear what others have run into.

Took my Ranger 2.2 for service yesterday, see photo below. Standard oil change w new air filter and cabin filter, tire balancing and as always they washed it - but I just washed it three days earlier, including an engine wash so no cleaning required.

The total cost, 5714 THB! I cannot believe the total. In addition to the parts cost in the photo below, (3975 THB) is labour of 1365 THB. I was working for a major global manufacturer here, and the loaded salary costs for shop floor labour was about 500 THB++, so they take three hours to do an oil change!? I did this as a kid way long ago and then it was a place called Minit Tune (lol), and we would do a change in about 30 min, no wash.

So the total cost is more than double what a friend overnight told me he paid for an oil change (no wash, not sure about air filter), and it was $75CAD, in Toronto.

Is it only me that thinks this is way too much $$ for an oil change?

Cheers

image.jpeg

Edited by kuma
Wrong photo

4 hours ago, kuma said:

Good day all

Great thread with good info. Want to post my experience yesterday and hear what others have run into.

Took my Ranger 2.2 for service yesterday, see photo below. Standard oil change w new air filter and cabin filter, tire balancing and as always they washed it - but I just washed it three days earlier, including an engine wash so no cleaning required.

The total cost, 5714 THB! I cannot believe the total. In addition to the parts cost in the photo below, (3975 THB) is labour of 1365 THB. I was working for a major global manufacturer here, and the loaded salary costs for shop floor labour was about 500 THB++, so they take three hours to do an oil change!? I did this as a kid way long ago and then it was a place called Minit Tune (lol), and we would do a change in about 30 min, no wash.

So the total cost is more than double what a friend overnight told me he paid for an oil change (no wash, not sure about air filter), and it was $75CAD, in Toronto.

Cheers

image.jpeg

Wow, your truck needs 9 liters of engine oil? That's twice for the vehicles I've used.

Everytime you get a service, the service advisor will go through with you the list and the price for each before it's approved and signed by you. There are no surprises. If you didn't like the price of a certain job, simply refuse it. Your work order is still considered pretty honest compared to the crap "recommendations" I've been offered each time at the stealerships. I always take the Job Order list and take the pen and cross out anything I don't need done, then the technician goes back and reprints the job order and comes back until it's a Job Order I am pleased with and I know exactly how much I would be paying. I bring my own oil and usually only pay for oil filter, gasket. The air filters are a 5 second job, why bother complaining about the cost. Buy one, pop them in. I rarely pay over 1k each time for warranty required maintenance schedules. Yes, they hate me. =)

28 minutes ago, JacChang said:

Wow, your truck needs 9 liters of engine oil? That's twice for the vehicles I've used.

Everytime you get a service, the service advisor will go through with you the list and the price for each before it's approved and signed by you. There are no surprises. If you didn't like the price of a certain job, simply refuse it. Your work order is still considered pretty honest compared to the crap "recommendations" I've been offered each time at the stealerships. I always take the Job Order list and take the pen and cross out anything I don't need done, then the technician goes back and reprints the job order and comes back until it's a Job Order I am pleased with and I know exactly how much I would be paying. I bring my own oil and usually only pay for oil filter, gasket. The air filters are a 5 second job, why bother complaining about the cost. Buy one, pop them in. I rarely pay over 1k each time for warranty required maintenance schedules. Yes, they hate me. =)

And today's "cheap charlie tip of the day" award goes to..............:cheesy:

54 minutes ago, JacChang said:

I agree with the synthetic comment, another valid point as Shell quoted me 3800 incl. brake fluid replacement (no air filter in that quote). Much prefer synthetic. Miss on my part thanks for pointing that out too.

Also agree with the finding value comment. I will pay them to have the labour and materials, or I will consider doing it myself, but the price is out of hand. I could not go so the girl drove it over and it was first service I paid for, correct I should have gone and checked the order, but day did not unfold that way. In the future I am going to get involved.

Skipped Shell and went to dealer as realized it was still under warranty and if I skip the dealer the warranty may void, going to check and see what the rules are. No issue to not just flip the air filter, I would be happy to get ramps and the tools to do the whole thing for fun....and may end up going that route. But only for standard fare, not going to start flushing brakes etc.

Yes a learning experience, will dive into it more next round. They seem to suggest visit every 10,000km. I think that is overkill as well. I do about 25,000 per year and figure every year is fine, though do ply Issan a fair bit and the dirt there blows fine...

Cheers 

1 hour ago, kuma said:

I agree with the synthetic comment, another valid point as Shell quoted me 3800 incl. brake fluid replacement (no air filter in that quote). Much prefer synthetic. Miss on my part thanks for pointing that out too.

Also agree with the finding value comment. I will pay them to have the labour and materials, or I will consider doing it myself, but the price is out of hand. I could not go so the girl drove it over and it was first service I paid for, correct I should have gone and checked the order, but day did not unfold that way. In the future I am going to get involved.

Skipped Shell and went to dealer as realized it was still under warranty and if I skip the dealer the warranty may void, going to check and see what the rules are. No issue to not just flip the air filter, I would be happy to get ramps and the tools to do the whole thing for fun....and may end up going that route. But only for standard fare, not going to start flushing brakes etc.

Yes a learning experience, will dive into it more next round. They seem to suggest visit every 10,000km. I think that is overkill as well. I do about 25,000 per year and figure every year is fine, though do ply Issan a fair bit and the dirt there blows fine...

Cheers 

Was your service performed at a Ford dealership ?

15 hours ago, JacChang said:

You have to read that bill one more time, for me it looks like 5 liters of oil....

On 22.1.2017 at 9:39 AM, transam said:

Just had oil and filter changed at B-Quik, 6 litres of Mobil  Semi syn oil, filter and labour cost 1,200bht, they even blacked the tyres whilst it was up in the air and checked tyre pressures..

b0212.gif

Good price :smile: But semi syn, on what car?

19 hours ago, kuma said:

Good day all

Cheers

how many thousand KM service was it ?

Up to 75,000 is free labour.

https://www.ford.co.th/en/owner/maintenance/

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

how many thousand KM service was it ?

Up to 75,000 is free labour.

https://www.ford.co.th/en/owner/maintenance/

HI 

Thanks for that, and all the other posts.

it has 53000 km, I am not the original owner but I drove it since new then bought it. I understand the warranty carries over with the sale. So labour should be free...interesting, as are the comments on oil quantity, it does indeed look like to much oil, for a 2.2 diesel.

It was done at a Ford dealer, same one since new, and they should clearly know about the warranty and should know how much oil it takes.

Seems Ford in this market is a mess, as if these things check out and they did double charge me on oil and overcharge me on warranty free labour then shame on them and I will post name of the dealer far and wide once I confirm it. Will dial them up tomorrow to inquire.

And as it looks to me the price is inflated anyway.

Cheers 

59 minutes ago, kuma said:

HI 

it has 53000 km, I am not the original owner but I drove it since new then bought it. I understand the warranty carries over with the sale. So labour should be free...interesting, as are the comments on oil quantity, it does indeed look like to much oil, for a 2.2 diesel.

It was done at a Ford dealer, same one since new, and they should clearly know about the warranty and should know how much oil it takes.

Seems Ford in this market is a mess, as if these things check out and they did double charge me on oil and overcharge me on warranty free labour then shame on them and I will post name of the dealer far and wide once I confirm it. Will dial them up tomorrow to inquire.

Cheers 

From the workshop manual.

oil.jpg

1 hour ago, kuma said:

HI 

Cheers 

Don't.... we are in Thailand. You'll be locked up for 10 years for defamation and the dealership will be fined a maximum 500 baht for frauding customers.

32 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

From the workshop manual.

oil.jpg

Interesting thanks for taking the time to post that, had not taken time to look yet. 

Guess i  I am way too distant from this now, as my gut and past experience (30 years ago admittedly) had me believing a 2.2 litre engine would not use 9L of oil, apparently. It does....6L as quoted for the Vigo diesel was more where my head was at.

So the outstanding issue is the labour for warranty service, which above is stated should be NC. 

I guess the the market impression that Fords are expensive to own vis a vis the competition, and do not hold their value as well is the story here. Rangers may boost resale value but things like needing 30+% more oil than benchmark competitor is the kind of thing that hurts them.

Cheers thanks for all the good input

Cheers

2 minutes ago, kuma said:

Interesting thanks for taking the time to post that, had not taken time to look yet. 

Guess i  I am way too distant from this now, as my gut and past experience (30 years ago admittedly) had me believing a 2.2 litre engine would not use 9L of oil, apparently. It does....6L as quoted for the Vigo diesel was more where my head was at.

So the outstanding issue is the labour for warranty service, which above is stated should be NC. 

I guess the the market impression that Fords are expensive to own vis a vis the competition, and do not hold their value as well is the story here. Rangers may boost resale value but things like needing 30+% more oil than benchmark competitor is the kind of thing that hurts them.

Cheers

And the Vigo does NOT need full synthetic, an engine that does brings a ? to my head..

6 minutes ago, kuma said:

Cheers

Luckily you dont have the 3.2, A service fill with filter is 11.6 liters !!

I would defo be asking about the labour though.

Edited by Don Mega

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Luckily you dont have the 3.2, A service fill with filter is 11.6 liters !!

I would defo be asking about the labour though.

Hey Don thanks, yes will make that call for sure.

Envious, would be happy to buy two litres more and have a 3.2 but it was not to be, 

18 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Stupid price ?.

Do you think it should be free ?

No Toyota service 3 weeks ago 1400, the correct price for a very simple job, this included labour, oils, etc etc and a full clean, getting my Pajero serviced today will post cost later.