Need info on obtaining Non-Immigrant O visa

Assuming you are travelling on a US passport you will get a 30 day visa exemption (VOA is something different).

You will need to convert that stay to a non-immigrant stay (90 days) which you can then extend on the grounds of retirement. The more knowledgeable members will be along shortly with the exact process.

If you can get a non-immigrant O on the grounds of retiring (from a local consulate) that would make life easier by missing out the conversion stage. Again the all-knowing Oracles will indicate which consulates in the US are friendly in issuing this type of visa.

EDIT Since you have a month or so, you could even apply for a non-immigrant O-A (retirement visa), there's a whole raft of requirements but that would net you a whole years stay on arrival.

You can apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry (category O) with a visa exempt entry (not a VOA) at some immigration offices. You must have 15 days remaining on your 30 day entry or the 30 day extension of it. You will need to show 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Then during the last 30 days or 45 days at some offices of the 90 day entry you can apply for a one year extension of stay. You will again  need to show the financial proof. But the 800k baht must be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply.

As said it would be best if you applied for a single entry non-o visa at a honorary consulate in the states. List of them is here. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

Thank you Ubon Joe and Crossy for your informative response. I used to have the Non-Immigrant O visa and extended it three times, but let it expire recently, so now starting over. But I forgot about the number of days before applying for the Non-Immigrant O. I will use the visa exempt entry for my 30 days and apply for the Non-Immigrant visa within the 15 days left as you recommended. I will also secure my pension affidavit from the US Embassy for both the initial non-Immigrant O application and  for the subsequent extension. Thanks again! 

On 1/24/2017 at 8:58 AM, ubonjoe said:

As said it would be best if you applied for a single entry non-o visa at a honorary consulate in the states. List of them is here. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

OP - a particularly good reason for you to proceed in this fashion is that, if you were otherwise planning to travel to Thailand in anticipation of being stamped in for the standard 30 days upon arrival, you would run the risk of being denied permission to board your flight at your airport of origin unless you were able to provide the check-in assistant with evidence of a confirmed flight booking out of Thailand within the 30-day period.

17 hours ago, OJAS said:

OP - a particularly good reason for you to proceed in this fashion is that, if you were otherwise planning to travel to Thailand in anticipation of being stamped in for the standard 30 days upon arrival, you would run the risk of being denied permission to board your flight at your airport of origin unless you were able to provide the check-in assistant with evidence of a confirmed flight booking out of Thailand within the 30-day period.

I actually have a confirmed round trip flight booking from my airline (ANA) which consists of an itinerary print out detailing that I would leave Thailand within 30 days. I would be interest, however, in knowing more about the single entry O visa requirements. It just seems like a lot of trouble to acquire as opposed to my plan. I am wrong? 

33 minutes ago, likeke said:

I would be interest, however, in knowing more about the single entry O visa requirements. It just seems like a lot of trouble to acquire as opposed to my plan. I am wrong? 

You need nothing more than your passport to prove your age and a application form to get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over at one of the honorary consulates. The Portland, Oregon  consulate has been reported as accepting applications by mail.

You have not mentioned where you would apply for the visa at immigration here. Some offices cannot accept the application. You might have to make 2 trips to Bangkok 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamps.

On 1/25/2017 at 4:11 PM, ubonjoe said:

You need nothing more than your passport to prove your age and a application form to get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over at one of the honorary consulates. The Portland, Oregon  consulate has been reported as accepting applications by mail.

You have not mentioned where you would apply for the visa at immigration here. Some offices cannot accept the application. You might have to make 2 trips to Bangkok 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamps.

I always use CW in Bangkok. When you say I may need to make 2 trips for the visa/entry stamps, do mean the Non Immigrant O visa, and the single/multiple entry stamps? Thanks Ubon Joe for all your help. 

30 minutes ago, likeke said:

I always use CW in Bangkok. When you say I may need to make 2 trips for the visa/entry stamps, do mean the Non Immigrant O visa, and the single/multiple entry stamps? Thanks Ubon Joe for all your help. 

When you apply for the non immigrant visa at immigration it requires two trips. The first trip you apply for the visa and then you will have to return after the application is approved in about 15 days to get the visa stamp and the 90 day entry stamp.

I did mine in Los Angeles in June last year and I remember having to gather a few documents including a letter indicating I had no wants or warrants. There is a list of documents needed on the consulate website.

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

When you apply for the non immigrant visa at immigration it requires two trips. The first trip you apply for the visa and then you will have to return after the application is approved in about 15 days to get the visa stamp and the 90 day entry stamp.

Will do. Thanks UbonJoe!