‘Scrap court time limit on Rolls-Royce bribery case’

rooster59

‘Scrap court time limit on Rolls-Royce bribery case’

By CHANIKARN PHUMHIRAN,
NATTHAPAT PHROMKAEW
THE NATION

3c23776fb7280f838dc66b817a62e3ed.jpeg

Anti-graft academic says evidence is conclusive in allegations against Thai Airways international and PTT.

THAI AUTHORITIES should enforce the anti-money laundering law in connection with the UN-sanctioned Financial Action Task Force (FATF) to beat the statute of limitations that protects some people who took bribes in the multi-million-baht Rolls-Royce scandal, an anti-graft academic says.

Sangsit Piriyarangsun, an associate professor at Rangsit University, yesterday told a seminar on corruption and national development that Thai authorities already have conclusive documentary evidence on bribery involving UK aircraft engine maker Rolls-Royce and Thai Airways International (THAI) and PTT, but no action has been taken against the individuals who received the bribes.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30305140

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-28

It would be great if the scrapped the statute of limitation on this one.. actually there should be no statute of limitation on ANY corruption case. Unfortunately all politicians (PTP and Democrats) disagree of course. Otherwise it would have been law a long time ago. If the PM means business he would scrap the statute of limitation for all corruption cases, that would make a lot of people uneasy (on both sides of the political spectrum). It would be a great deterrent because now ruling parties can suppress investigations and if they stay in power long enough can starve off any investigations. (that is why a change of government is great even by coup). Now if there is no statute of limitations then the strategy of staying in power and suppressing investigations wont work anymore.  

There's some big names amongst all this...with Thai Airways, military and political heavyweights.....and they would all be trying like hell to persuade the powers that be, to drop this one.....and that dropping it, no doubt, will be the outcome.

But, we all live in hope that Thailand can move forward with these cases.

Edited by ChrisY1

I could never understand the statute of limitations on crimes and in particularly

on mega crimes that affect the public to a large extent and the culprits just

laughing all the way to the bank or retirement village Scott free....

41 minutes ago, robblok said:

It would be great if the scrapped the statute of limitation on this one.. actually there should be no statute of limitation on ANY corruption case. Unfortunately all politicians (PTP and Democrats) disagree of course. Otherwise it would have been law a long time ago. If the PM means business he would scrap the statute of limitation for all corruption cases, that would make a lot of people uneasy (on both sides of the political spectrum). It would be a great deterrent because now ruling parties can suppress investigations and if they stay in power long enough can starve off any investigations. (that is why a change of government is great even by coup). Now if there is no statute of limitations then the strategy of staying in power and suppressing investigations wont work anymore.  

His "business" is the same as any previous PMs business.

The business of enriching and protecting his allies, family, friends, supporters, sponsors, and consolidating his power.

That simple fact seems to have eluded you. Even though the practice is "standard", and plenty of people are more than willing to point it out.

Instead of continuously "humping and pumping" your tedious mantra of  "a change of government is great even by coup" how about taking a time out and have a quiet little "think" (maybe read some online historical references, or a book?) about what the situation really is, and why it endures from generation to generation.

Edited by Enoon

NACC Poljeak said (summarizing) that there was no need for  Prayut to invoke Article 44 to extend the statute of limitations for those expired bribery cases because that would put the country in a bad light. (Thai news source that cannot be named in TV)

So justice avoided is a patriotic duty.

16 hours ago, ezzra said:

I could never understand the statute of limitations on crimes and in particularly

on mega crimes that affect the public to a large extent and the culprits just

laughing all the way to the bank or retirement village Scott free....

Yes. Does anyone know the justification for ANY statute of limitations?

And anyway, does not a SOL clock begin when knowledge of the crime becomes available / public? i.e., in this case, now?

NACC Poljeak said (summarizing) that there was no need for  Prayut to invoke Article 44 to extend the statute of limitations for those expired bribery cases because that would put the country in a bad light. (Thai news source that cannot be named in TV)

So justice avoided is a patriotic duty.

I wonder if it has occurred to him, and his colleagues, so concerned with the countries reputation, that the fact that Rolls Royce, the cable suppliers and no doubt many other major companies regard it as absolutely routine to offer eye-watering bribes in order to do business with Thai state agencies says it all about the countries reputation in this field?

22 hours ago, Enoon said:

His "business" is the same as any previous PMs business.

The business of enriching and protecting his allies, family, friends, supporters, sponsors, and consolidating his power.

That simple fact seems to have eluded you. Even though the practice is "standard", and plenty of people are more than willing to point it out.

Instead of continuously "humping and pumping" your tedious mantra of  "a change of government is great even by coup" how about taking a time out and have a quiet little "think" (maybe read some online historical references, or a book?) about what the situation really is, and why it endures from generation to generation.

Sorry, i stick to my opinion and its proven by facts. Fact is whoever is in power will stall and oppose any investigations into corruption that they are part of. Fact.. only a goverment of an other color or military government will go after the corruption of others. (again a fact). So the only way for corrupt officials to face any kind of punishment is when a government of their "enemies" is in power.  So I also welcome it when PTP is again in power and goes after other corrupt officials. I rather see it an other way but this is the way it works in Thailand.. you can read all the books you want but this is the reality in Thailand. 

Great example is how YL said there was no corruption in her rice program.. how it did not make any loss.. a government official came forward to oppose her she got bullied and threatened with court cases. Democrats came with rotting rice.. threatened with theft... Later on it was found out that the program did indeed cost money 500billion (not pocket change but was kept off book) and there was corruption (fake GTG deals by her highest ministers). This would NEVER have been prosecuted as long as the PTP was in power. Keep your mantra about democracy.. but when you only use voting as a measure of democracy your wrong.. Its about any more things like transparency and even going after corruption in your own government. So i would not consider them any more democratic then the junta. (only difference they were voted in after that the principles of democracy stopped)

Now if the PTP gets in power and goes after misdeeds of the army or democrats I only applaud this.. as you can read in ANY topic on corruption i post in I don't care what color shirt they have if they are corrupt they need to be punished. Unfortunately here the only way for corruption of a government to be exposed is when there is a new government of a different color. Until this problem is solved I keep my mantra.

The fact that i want that statute of limitation lifted says enough.. it means I dont want ANY government official of ANY party to be protected by it. 

Edited by robblok

3 hours ago, JAG said:

I wonder if it has occurred to him, and his colleagues, so concerned with the countries reputation, that the fact that Rolls Royce, the cable suppliers and no doubt many other major companies regard it as absolutely routine to offer eye-watering bribes in order to do business with Thai state agencies says it all about the countries reputation in this field?

Not corruption, just the Thai business elite practicing "their version" of a sufficiency economy.

"Thai authorities already have conclusive documentary evidence on bribery involving UK aircraft engine maker Rolls-Royce and Thai Airways International (THAI) and PTT, but no action has been taken against the individuals who received the bribes."

Presumably the documentary evidence he is talking about is from the UK SFO showing that payments were made from RR to an intermediary.

To prove bribery it will also need to be proved that the intermediary shared the proceeds with decision makers at THAI and PTT. Without that this case doesn't have any legs.

2 hours ago, thedemon said:

Presumably the documentary evidence he is talking about is from the UK SFO showing that payments were made from RR to an intermediary.

To prove bribery it will also need to be proved that the intermediary shared the proceeds with decision makers at THAI and PTT. Without that this case doesn't have any legs.

And since that particular ball is firmly in the Thai court, we can fairly safely assume that the case has already lost its legs!

On ‎28‎-‎1‎-‎2017 at 4:10 AM, robblok said:

The current rulers have nothing to worry about of course, they cannot be dragged to court due to an amnesty. Funny how one group of people need to be curtailed, yet another group of people have carte blanche and are effectively above the law.

Edited by sjaak327