Walking and dogs.

emilymat

I was a bit reluctant to open this issue, as I'm sure it would have been covered somewhere. However, I need some help with the answer.

To set out the problem. I'm 75 and like to go on long walks about 3 times a week just to keep in shape. This I do around Lkae Mabpachan, varying my routes.

Recently though, I have been 'threatened' by 2 or 3 dogs in various places, rushing out of the front of private property and the local Wat. They are not just having a friendly bark but are barring thier teeth and running up to about 6 foot away from me. Normally I carrry a stick but now I have resorted to carrying my golf putter that has two 'spikes' on the bottom. It could do some real harm to a dog.

My question is that  I have been lucky to now  and stared them out (if you like) while holding my stick, but, if one of these goes for me I could easily kill it with my putter head or maim it badly. (This assmues of course it doesn't get me first!)  What would be my position in 'law' here  in Patts. I know the re-incarnation stuff many Thai's believe in and the regard they seem to hold for pure innocent animals. Is self defence legitimate? I know some people say avoid eye contact and wlak away, but what if they then chase you and attack you from the back. No thanks.

I would add that most of the 'soi' dogs that hang around the lake are quite docile and give me no real concern. They are more interested if you have any grub for them.

Finally, you would  think going for a 5km walk around here would be a doddle,  but, waching the traffic and  these 'rushing dogs' is quite a handful these days.

Thanks all.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been chased many times by such dogs when on my pedal bike riding round the Darkside, I sympathesise.

I find dealing with them when I'm walking much easier because I always have a backpack slung over one shoulder when I'm out walking. If a hostile dog approaches I can slide the bag off my shoulder in a split second and swing the bag fairly gently a few inches above the ground in the direction of the dog as it gets close.

This has never failed to make a dog shy away or at least keep its distance. Another advantage is that the bag could never injure the dog.

In your position I'd have my bag with me, perhaps plus the stick - just in case the dog wasn't put off by my swinging the bag at it.

I couldn't advise you about the legal position. All I can say is that all I'd care about is not being bitten.

Good luck.

backpack.jpg

Another advantage of the backpack is that if I'm approaching some dogs I'm nervous of I can slowly slide it off my shoulder and carry it in a non-threatening way by its handle, ready for a fast response, just in case trouble starts as I walk past them. This is quite reassuring.

You're far from the only person to have had this problem. See this thread on the subject of walking dogs in Pattaya:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/450589-walking-the-dog/

As far as what will happen if you harm or kill a dog that you think is attacking you, well who knows, such matters are seldom black and white here. It's probably best to try the ideas suggested in the thread above to protect yourself rather than risk legal action (or worse) if you hurt/kill some puyai's pooch.

I seem to remember reading somewhere on here a while back that you can be liable if you kill or injure someones dog.

Had this problem in Singapore way back when they pulled down all the Kampongs and evicted the people who left their dogs behind, we found that a squeezy bottle (bicycle water bottle) with plain water in it would send them running off, maybe it will work for Thai dogs as well, worth a try.

13 hours ago, champers said:

I can't give you an answer, sorry, but I was wondering about your putter. Does it have 2 spikes as part of the design or have you added 2 spikes? Do you use it as a walking stick or solely carry it for protection?

Firstly, thank you for those replies, they have been quite helpful. To answer the specific question the putter has the 'spikes' as part of the manufacture. I would add that I carry it upside down like a walking stick and don't wave it around or anything.

I know I shouldn't but my first reaction when such dogs come racing across the road snarling and barking, is to shout at them to "p.ss off". I now realise this  might not be the best thing to do, but it is a natural reaction I get from not simply being able to have a quiet walk. (I would add I always walk on the opposite side when I know there are dogs on a private property).

I'll take the backpack suggestion and others on board and try to smile at the dogs instead of shouting!. I guess here are so few 'pedestrians' in this land of motorbikes, the dogs consider us a threat of some sort to the property.

Thanks again

002.JPG

i walk 1 hr every day before that i cycled and ive never ever been attacked by a dog,dogs are;nt stupid if they see you with a stick they think you are going to hit them with it so they act accodingly.my actions are to talk to them and act friendly,it works for me.

I am also a fairly regular walker around Lake Maprachan and although I've encountered some aggressive dogs I've not had to resort to hitting them with a stick! I do carry a cane with me and on more than one occasion I've had to bang it on the ground which I've found puts them off!

After a few walks the dogs get used to you and don't bother but the dogs at the Wat on Soi Siam CC can seem a bit over aggressive. Perhaps a rolled up newspaper would be a better deterrent than your golf putter and obviously would not cause any harm to the dogs!

We usually walk very early in the morning between 5 and 6 am. to avoid the sun. I find more aggressive than the dogs are some of the idiots who ride bikes. We always carry torches to warn any approaching traffic of our whereabouts but some cyclists still try to make us jump for cover!

Safe walking!

3 hours ago, monsieurhappy said:

I am also a fairly regular walker around Lake Maprachan and although I've encountered some aggressive dogs I've not had to resort to hitting them with a stick! I do carry a cane with me and on more than one occasion I've had to bang it on the ground which I've found puts them off!

After a few walks the dogs get used to you and don't bother but the dogs at the Wat on Soi Siam CC can seem a bit over aggressive. Perhaps a rolled up newspaper would be a better deterrent than your golf putter and obviously would not cause any harm to the dogs!

We usually walk very early in the morning between 5 and 6 am. to avoid the sun. I find more aggressive than the dogs are some of the idiots who ride bikes. We always carry torches to warn any approaching traffic of our whereabouts but some cyclists still try to make us jump for cover!

Safe walking!

Yep, it was just outside that Wat the worst case took place and up the road on the next left turn up to Horseshoe point. I want to be clear, I have not hit at dog yet or tried to do so. Thanks

Try carrying a small water pistol filled with bleach or turpentine.  A squirt of that on their nose or bum teaches them not to come too close.

Another trick is to just bend over. They think you are picking up a stone to throw. I used that method many times on packs of dogs when jogging in the tobacco factory grounds near Benjakiti Park in Bangkok. It worked every time.

16 hours ago, davidst01 said:

replace your weapon with dog treats. They will remember everyday and be your friend. Try it everyday for a week. Problem solved

Agree, it takes time but they soon remember. 

Buy a taser ... that works fine even with the most aggressive dogs who run away just by the sound of it ... and it will protect you from the 2 legged predators as well , who react similar to the dogs ...

1 hour ago, Trentham said:

Try carrying a small water pistol filled with bleach or turpentine.  A squirt of that on their nose or bum teaches them not to come too close.

Another trick is to just bend over. They think you are picking up a stone to throw. I used that method many times on packs of dogs when jogging in the tobacco factory grounds near Benjakiti Park in Bangkok. It worked every time.

Will try the water pistol trick, thanks, as when riding my bike I tried the bending over trick but fell off.

25 minutes ago, pumpuy said:

Buy a taser ... that works fine even with the most aggressive dogs who run away just by the sound of it ... and it will protect you from the 2 legged predators as well , who react similar to the dogs ...

I also have one of those 300bt taser type torches, a quick crackle and the dogs will run back quicker than they came at you.

That putter looks perfect for the job. If you carried that around in Farangland the police would fine you for carrying a lethal weapon.

Just don't tell anybody and get away swiftly.

I also find that feeding dogs works, funny thing is, I never see the dogs again.

The rucksack trick sounds improbabl and on a bicycle impractical.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

4 minutes ago, chrissables said:

They sell something similar at Big C extra, a small shop before entering the supermarket.

I have one of these too from Amazon, they work reasonably well but on an old dog it has no effect but worth a try for the OP.

On 06/02/2017 at 9:34 AM, Rimmer said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere on here a while back that you can be liable if you kill or injure someones dog.

Had this problem in Singapore way back when they pulled down all the Kampongs and evicted the people who left their dogs behind, we found that a squeezy bottle (bicycle water bottle) with plain water in it would send them running off, maybe it will work for Thai dogs as well, worth a try.

Quite agree Rimmer. one thing dogs here do not like is, is being sprayed with water. I've taken to carrying a small water gun on my walks and find it works quite well if the dog  seems aggressive. I always carry a stick but sometimes this is not enough of a deterrant.

On 2/5/2017 at 10:36 PM, AbeSurd said:

Another advantage of the backpack is that if I'm approaching some dogs I'm nervous of I can slowly slide it off my shoulder and carry it in a non-threatening way by its handle, ready for a fast response, just in case trouble starts as I walk past them. This is quite reassuring.

I carry an expensive Thule from Sweden.  I wouldn't want to share it with the dogs.

19 hours ago, davidst01 said:

replace your weapon with dog treats. They will remember everyday and be your friend. Try it everyday for a week. Problem solved

That is the intention of the dogs when they behave in a hostile manner to you even when you have not stepped into their turf.  The intimidation is designed to cow you into offering them food, and when they know this method works it will embolden them to raise the intensity of their aggression to extort more food.  The dog who mastered this art to perfection would finally be adopted by a kind farang.

This is a method practised by men and women in office too.  There is always a hidden agenda for unsolicited hostility through no fault of yours.

From my experience, when walking the roads, bend down and pretend (or really do it) to pick up a large stone and go through the motions that it's in your hand and you're about to through it at them/it.

Go into your baseball pitchers mode and it will scare the hell out of them.
They'll run down the street a ways and bark like heck. They won't disappear completely, but they'll leave you alone.

Water pistols with just water are very effective across the world. Right in the face. Very few animals including humans like that..

Forget the ammonia or other toxic fluids; simply not necessary, dangerous, and invites litigation. It's very hard for an owner to argue that squinting his dog with water warrants damages..

That said, the early suggestion of carrying simple treats is by far the best solution  . Makes the dogs, the owners, and even you happy.. Your buddies will soon start to follow you for a short distance and protect you from interlopers.

While out riding my bicycle, often the dog would come chasing after me, water in my water bottle works great but not always practical. Since I'm out to get some excercise anyway, I make it a challenge to outrun them..... 

Only that by walking on or riding away seem to encourage the already aggressive dog that you are 'giving in' to their threatening; I find that the best way to deal with them is to stop and make aggressive posture back at them, crouch down widen your arms out to make yourself look large and stare them in the eyes, this has an advantage over walking or riding away that if they decide to still come at you, you can see where from and deal appropriately and not be bitten in the ankle from the back. Although I don't enjoy stopping the bicycle every time a dog come at me, so I make a sport out of it when getting chased.