no wedding pictures

Been married for 8 years (legit. certificate), but was still working in home country, did not have much money, and it was hard to plan a wedding, regardless (as wife was working full-time when I would show up).

Going for an extension of an O-visa (1st time). Other than that, have lots of pictures, friends' testimony attesting to the legitimacy of the marriage. Should I lie, tell the truth, have a picture of a fake-wedding from a studio, wait until I am asked, ...? Any experiences? Any ideas? Much appreciated.

You will not need wedding pictures.

You just need photos of you and your wife in and around the house. One photo must show both of you together with house number shown. The number of photos needed varies from office to office.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Wow! Unbelievable! What's next? LOL

To help others, in the future, is there a list or do you know which ones?

Thanks.

Not that big a deal to do a picture of you and the wife sitting together on the edge of the bed.

I supply 4 photos for my extensions. One of the wife and I sitting on the bed, one on the sofa together, a photo of the house from the street and a family photo under the house number. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Wallander4 said:

Dont forget to have pics of your witness together with you and wife - thats what we were asked but any day can bring new silly demands from Imm. Thats why they dont have a list of anything ...

Witnesses are not required at all immigration offices. I think the majority don't require them.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Witnesses are not required at all immigration offices. I think the majority don't require them.

Would be  difficult requirement as my witnesses were people of the office were we married, would recognize them if they stood in front of me. They could be dead too.

Edited by FritsSikkink

8 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

I am told that there is a 21 day visit time where immigration can pop in at any time to check things out. There is no warning. I am told that if we are not both there, this can be used to disqualify applicants.

You were given false info.

You will get a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days from the date you apply or from the date your current permit to stay ends. You then go back to immigration on that date and they will do the one year extension stamp.

For the first extension immigration may do a home visit. They will contact you to inquire when would be the best time for them to come, They do not just show up since they could never be sure you both of you would be at home.

Thanks, Joe! Much appreciated!

I thought I would check things out first. Always best to do here in Thailand (anywhere really). Thanks for being so quick and categorical in your response. Responses from you and others have always been accurate. 

Not sure if Chiang Mai is an aberration, but I was listening to a company's mouth-piece that helps out with the process and I thought that they might be in a bit of conflict (and TV members are not, obviously). They advised to me to get out, go to Laos, get a 3 months single non-o and get an retirement visa instead. I was thinking of doing this, but sadly I did not bring enough funds to qualify (2 months or 100,000 B. aided with the pension income of +/- gross 60,000). I am close, but no cigar for the retirement visa. But I digress.

Given the stochastic nature of the process (the marriage extension) depending on the region or the office and even the officer, I would really appreciate if Chiang Mai's TV member could confirm what you are stating.

In an case, my last day allowed in Thailand is March 10 (on the last stamp on a non-o visa). I went to the embassy (B1400) today and there was no issue in getting the letter/proof of income based on pension. Incidentally, if I have stock income, they cannot be used also?

Given the timelines you gave, since Feb. is a short month, can it be done?

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

Would be  difficult requirement as my witnesses were people of the office were we married, would recognize them if they stood in front of me. They could be dead too.

Not witnesses of your marriage, but witness(es) near your place of living (I.e. neighbours) to confirm that husband and wife live together. Witness needs ID card with registered address / blue book near where you live.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Wow! Unbelievable! What's next? LOL

To help others, in the future, is there a list or do you know which ones?

Thanks.

Immigration Jomtien wanted 1 pic outside house, clearly showing house number and one in living room. When they did the home visit (announced as said before), they took the same pics again, this time with wife, me, the witness and one IO in the picture

In an case, my last day allowed in Thailand is March 10 (on the last stamp on a non-o visa). I went to the embassy (B1400) today and there was no issue in getting the letter/proof of income based on pension. Incidentally, if I have stock income, they cannot be used also?

In theory, you could apply for your extension based on marriage on March 9. You will then be given a "under consideration stamp" that says to go back to the IO 30 days later, this your stay in Thailand would be allowed until 7 April.

I say in theory, because it is better to go few days early, just in case your IO in Chiang Mai wants something you did not bring..

7 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Immigration Jomtien wanted 1 pic outside house, clearly showing house number and one in living room. When they did the home visit (announced as said before), they took the same pics again, this time with wife, me, the witness and one IO in the picture

Thanks, Swiss1960. They could have saved a trip and photoshop the whole thing. LOL But, thanks for the info. I understand that there are people using the system and legit. people have to put up with this. 

If they are ashes would be even more of a problem. LOL

Not witnesses of your marriage from 8 years ago, but witness(es) near your place of living (I.e. neighbours) to confirm that husband and wife live together. Witness needs ID card with registered address / blue book near where you live.

16 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Thanks, Joe! Much appreciated!

I thought I would check things out first. Always best to do here in Thailand (anywhere really). Thanks for being so quick and categorical in your response. Responses from you and others have always been accurate. 

Not sure if Chiang Mai is an aberration, but I was listening to a company's mouth-piece that helps out with the process and I thought that they might be in a bit of conflict (and TV members are not, obviously). They advised to me to get out, go to Laos, get a 3 months single non-o and get an retirement visa instead. I was thinking of doing this, but sadly I did not bring enough funds to qualify (2 months or 100,000 B. aided with the pension income of +/- gross 60,000). I am close, but no cigar for the retirement visa. But I digress.

Given the stochastic nature of the process (the marriage extension) depending on the region or the office and even the officer, I would really appreciate if Chiang Mai's TV member could confirm what you are stating.

If you are already on a non-o visa entry there is nor reason to go out for new visa. If you need more time you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then apply for the one year extension.

I don't think it is all that hard to get the extension based upon marriage in Chiang Mai.

You can use any income earned abroad to a apply for the the extension. You could use any income from abroad and that includes income from stocks if you can prove it. I think most embassies will issue a income letter based upon any proof you can supply.

You can apply for the extension at any time now up to March 10th.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are already on a non-o visa entry there is nor reason to go out for new visa. If you need more time you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then apply for the one year extension.

Oh! Thanks.

Sorry to ask for a clarification, Joe. So, the non-o visa expired on Dec. 10 and I went out to get 3 months extra. I can get an extension on that?

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

6 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Oh! Thanks.

So, the non-o visa expired on Dec. 10 and I went out to get 3 months extra. I can get an extension on that?

Yes you can. You visas expiration date means nothing once you are in the country. You are are extending your permit to stay from the visa not the visa.

This witness requirement....who can be a witness...does it have to be someone approved by the immigration office?  Conflicting requirement.   Do You need the village head man or some minor official, or a friend, or neighbor willing to come down to the office?  Or as it is the case, depend on the office and the official.

11 hours ago, Rhys said:

This witness requirement....who can be a witness...does it have to be someone approved by the immigration office?  Conflicting requirement.   Do You need the village head man or some minor official, or a friend, or neighbor willing to come down to the office?  Or as it is the case, depend on the office and the official.

It varies by office to office.

As I wrote before most offices don't require witnesses.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

It varies by office to office.

As I wrote before most offices don't require witnesses.

Thanks Ubonjoe,

Just trying to get a profile from the TV guys... Apparently down here, in NST it is required...

However, jumping the hoop and all set.

Some years ago (5?) in Phuket I was considering a married extension and was advised to have the photos of both with: house number, bedroom, closet showing clothing for both of us.Added another of all in front of house with dog (huge tongue hanging out) and grandmother.

18 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Not witnesses of your marriage from 8 years ago, but witness(es) near your place of living (I.e. neighbours) to confirm that husband and wife live together. Witness needs ID card with registered address / blue book near where you live.

...and it's great the way they expect your "witness" to take a day off work to sit and wait at immigration to answer a few stupid questions. Because we all know how immigration's work is far more important than anyone else's job.

On 2/8/2017 at 7:14 AM, ubonjoe said:

You will not need wedding pictures.

You just need photos of you and your wife in and around the house. One photo must show both of you together with house number shown. The number of photos needed varies from office to office.

House number is not enough in my very recent experience at Chaeng Wattana, it must show wife, child(ren) (if applicable) and no other person. It must show the house number and also the house, and a selfie is not acceptable.

The other pics must show you in the house with a view of some household goods. Again include wife, chid(ren) and no other individual.

Hopefully you get lucky and get an officer that hasn't spent the morning dining on wasps, unlike the one I got.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd