Tony Kenway murdered in Pattaya over 8 million baht debt, say Thai police

webfact

Tony Kenway murdered in Pattaya over 8 million baht debt, say Thai police

1p.jpg

Picture: Tharath

PATTAYA: -- Tony Kenway, the computer programmer murdered last month in his Porsche in Pattaya, was killed over an eight million baht debt.

Now it has emerged that Mr Kenway had been working on a website for a football betting operation, reported Manager Online.

Thai police who have been investigating the murder in Phnom Phen said the man arrested there called Toby was behind the killing.

Police say that he had met with Mr Kenway on two occasions to settle the matter of the debt but no agreement could be reached. He then ordered the killing of his former friend, it is alleged.

They say they have a witness who told them Toby had previously ordered Mr Kenway to be killed.

A police team headed by Suchart Theerasawat is due back in Bangkok today Friday when a news conference will give more details.

Manager reported that police at the highest level had contacted their counterparts in Cambodia after two suspects in the shooting fled across the border.

Shooter Abel Bonito and motorcycle getaway driver Miles Turner remain at large.

But an arrest was made in the Cambodian capital of a UK national called Toby earlier in the week. Information from another Briton named only as "Billion" (name transliterated from Thai) indicated that Toby was owed 8 million baht by the victim who refused to repay the money.

Police told Manager that Mr Kenway was one of ten shady UK mafia figures operating in Pattaya. He targeted only people from the UK in his scams and left the Thais alone, they said. He didn't dare target the locals, said police.

Police said that he had gained his wealth from call center scams directed against his own people and then used this money for other

projects.

His lavish "Mr Big" lifestyle attracted people to him to invest money in these projects. Mr Kenway owned three houses in Pattaya where he lived with his Thai wife and children.

In a new development that may have a bearing on the case police said that Mr Kenway had designed a website for a football betting racket.

He was shot dead with a bullet to the head as he sat in his red Porsche Cayenne outside the Sanit Sports Club in Pong district on

January 24th.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-10

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You live by the sward and you die by the sward... if you scam people long and

bed enough chances you'll pay very dearly for it, that guy must have thought that

he's invincible and bullet proof, guess what? he wasn't... let me a lesson to all

other scums who profits from people's misery...

19 minutes ago, ezzra said:

bed enough chances you'll pay very dearly for it, that guy must have thought that

he's invincible and bullet proof, guess what? he wasn't... let me a lesson to all

I suppose he could have stepped on someone elses turf.

9 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

looking forward to hearing the identity of the other nine. I will start holding my breath ........ now.

Haha. Exactly. Though I suppose this incident serves as a friendly reminder to the others to get their monthly brown envelopes in on time. 

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

You live by the sward? (The upper layer of soil, especially when covered with grass)

"He targeted only people from the UK in his scams and left the Thais alone, they said. ."

So they left him alone, because there is no universal right or wrong.   Even if there was it would only be wrong if it targeted Thai people.  

And then only the rich ones. 

And he was always very friendly and generous towards charities.

Good ole' Tone, always ready with a "donation".

1 minute ago, pumpuy said:

Stupid man ... if you make a living from ripping other peole off , you better don't drive around in a red Porsche ... a living target .

A lot engaged in criminal activities get their just deserts that way. Some get targeted by the law others fall foul of rivals or cross the wrong people. Then draw attention to themselves by living the high life thinking they're clever enough to have it all sorted and that they're invincible.

Just another crook who scammed and defrauded people outside Thailand whilst making charitable donations and being careful not to tread on local toes. As the article said, he wouldn't dare scam Thais. He found out the hard way other people don't like being ripped off either.

There's a book to be written, or a documentary to be made, about the migration of Euro-criminals and their activity from the "Costa",  to the "Gulf" of crime post "European Arrest Warrant".

But no one would risk the dangers of damaging Thailands impeccable "reputation", would they?

No pity from here either.

The guy got what he deserved. You scam people, this is what you risk. Poor kids having a father like that.

Criminals often seem kind of stupid though. If you kill a guy, then how can he pay what he owes? Lots of other smarter options, if you want to get violent and need people to pay their debt.

Edited by khunpa

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

your dead right , no pun intended. The only way i could improve in what you've said, is if i spelled it all correctly.:smile: