Speeding British rider kills Phuket local

webfact

22 hours ago, Canceraid said:

I hope that they lock up the farang for a very long time please. I simply despise foreigners who ride bikes in thailand. Its already bad enough with the thai bike riders but these foreigners are like on a suicide mission. And worst when they kill others.

I hope you never get chosen for jury service.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

That's the most stupid comment i red on TV in 2017 so far. So many weird people out there.

You should also add... So many people who probably have never ridden a bike in their lives or have very limited experience suddenly becoming Scene of the Crime experts. Or is it clairvoyants?

They just need to stop renting (ANY) bikes to people not licensed to ride them!  But that would curb the money supply... 

I mean do you think any money is made by renting a scooter out for 200 Baht a day?  They are hoping the tourist has an accident so they get an opportunity to get some real cash!!!  Big bikes, it's even worse.......

18 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

You have obviously never ridden a bike !!!

Look at the pics of the bike my friend... Unless the Brit guy was fully kitted, luck would not have saved him from serious injury.

Just goes to reiterate how ridiculous your original comment was :)

No more ridiculous than your response to my comment.  I have ridden bikes, many times, but whether I have or not has no bearing on how lucky the Briton was.  And the chances of his being fully kitted out, how remote is that?  What proportion of visitors here have any kit at all, never mind the full kit?

41 minutes ago, RigPig said:

They just need to stop renting (ANY) bikes to people not licensed to ride them!  But that would curb the money supply... 

I mean do you think any money is made by renting a scooter out for 200 Baht a day?  They are hoping the tourist has an accident so they get an opportunity to get some real cash!!!  Big bikes, it's even worse.......

You just pointed it.

I'm sure also in Thailand it's against the law to rent out vehicles to customers without a proper driving license. Police should fine the rental companies which don't obey the law. If it happen again, shut down the shop.

This problem could be solved within days. An official warning and then start the law enforcement.

41 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

No more ridiculous than your response to my comment.  I have ridden bikes, many times, but whether I have or not has no bearing on how lucky the Briton was.  And the chances of his being fully kitted out, how remote is that?  What proportion of visitors here have any kit at all, never mind the full kit?

Was he a visitor or living here ??? You seem to know much more about this story than the rest of us !!

Your comments were ridiculous, as can be seen by numerous responses to them :) 

But feel free to keep coming back for more....

13 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

You just pointed it.

I'm sure also in Thailand it's against the law to rent out vehicles to customers without a proper driving license. Police should fine the rental companies which don't obey the law. If it happen again, shut down the shop.

This problem could be solved within days. An official warning and then start the law enforcement.

"I'm sure also in Thailand it's against the law to rent out vehicles to customers without a proper driving license."

Maybe you can point to this law?

12 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Was he a visitor or living here ??? You seem to know much more about this story than the rest of us !!

Your comments were ridiculous, as can be seen by numerous responses to them :) 

But feel free to keep coming back for more....

Was he fully kitted out?  You seem to know much more about this story than the rest of us!

The number of responses to a comment does not equate to how ridiculous you may, wrongly, think the comment was.

I appreciate you permission to post here.

You're welcome...

We are going round in circles but if you think someone in normal clothes would walk away from that accident with minor injuries, then you need to watch a few slow speed accidents and the resultant injuries when no protection is worn.

Needless to say, one guy will survive to ride another day, the other was not lucky at all...

Good chance that the old boy just crossed the highway without looking, happens all the time. So unless the Brit was exceeding the speed limit then the old boy was at fault.

Whatever the circumstances, just goes to show that a valid and sustained road safety campaign is well overdue in this country. 

Minor injuries suggest that the speed was not excessive and that the rider was thrown onto the grassy area.

There is almost a feeding frenzy of FMs who love to state the "facts" before any are known. It was the Brit, it was the Thai.....Sad really.

Sorry guys, just like the Pattaya thread on the Brit who was accosted by the bar girl, you will have to wait for the facts to come out and they will be whatever the police decide they are.

Unless you were an independent eye witness you will never know the truth.

No point in trying to make judgements on either rider as the real facts are unlikely to surface.  Thai roads are very dangerous and many people are killed on them, Thais and foreigners.  I used to ride a bike in Thailand and enjoyed it very much.  On one occasion I was wiped out by a pick-up truck who ran a red light.  Just one of the risks you take in this country.

On 2/21/2017 at 3:18 PM, Canceraid said:

I hope that they lock up the farang for a very long time please. I simply despise foreigners who ride bikes in thailand. Its already bad enough with the thai bike riders but these foreigners are like on a suicide mission. And worst when they kill others.

2 hours ago, oby said:

He killed a man and u figure a little bad luck---

You are one sick dude,

RIP Chawalit, you deserved much better

I ride my big bike all over Thailand. About 30,000 kilometers so far.

If I had one baht for every time a Thai driver deliberately tried to kill me on the highway I would be living in that gold plated UFO in Bangkok.

I am forced off the road by Thais passing on blind curves and on long stretches of open highway where BOTH LANES are full of traffic coming at you from the opposite direction and tail gated DAILY by Thais who don't care about anything but occupying the space in front of your vehicle. They are inconsiderate, selfish, homicidal maniacs WHO WILL KILL YOU, THEIR PASSENGERS AND THEIR OWN FAMILY JUST TO GET IN FRONT OF YOU ON THE HIGHWAY. Their SICK egos can't stand the idea that someone is in front of them.  

Thais don't look. They just assume the the road is clear and out they come.

I SEE IT EVERY FRICKIN' DAY ALL DAY AND NIGHT.

This time the poor mans "luck" ran out.

There is no excuse for their behavior.

Again rest RIP Thai man. 

On 2/21/2017 at 3:18 PM, Canceraid said:

Normally I just do the comedy one liners here on TV and don't respond in a negative way to comments I don't agree with except on this subject.

But I have to say, you have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

As my friends from the UK say, complete bullocks.

Edited by NCC1701A

On 2/21/2017 at 3:42 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Reminds of the video I saw today of a "proud Ninja ZX owner" reaching 282 km/h on a public road in Thailand. :shock1:

But this Mr. Howard was sure a bit slower.

Riding and speeding are different sides of biking.

Yes and it was a THAI riding the bike. These Thai kamikazes pass me all the time on the highway doing 175 kph. The are crazy as hell. And of course there is almost always a girl on the back of the bike.  

On 21/02/2017 at 4:18 PM, Canceraid said:

What a mindless comment.

You have based your unfair assumptions on almost zero facts. Foolish.

7 hours ago, sanukjim said:

It seems to be normal for Brits that never have ridden a large bike before or even  any motor bike to come here and rent the largest bike they can straddle.Then see how fast the bike will go.This is one Brit that will be paying through the nose either by a VERY LARGE sum of money or some serious prison time learning how to enjoy the local rice soup and sleeping on a piece of cardboard at night. 

Do you know how far someone with no motorcycle experience can get on a big bike?

About 10 meters before they drop the bike. The first time they do any slow turn and apply the hand brake, down they go. Or they use too much throttle and release the clutch to fast and then they have a real problem. :)

But I do agree many inexperienced people do stupid things here in Thailand on scooters and motorcycles.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

"I'm sure also in Thailand it's against the law to rent out vehicles to customers without a proper driving license."

Maybe you can point to this law?

Sorry, I can't. If there is not such a law, it would be easy to introduce it.

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 8:18 AM, Canceraid said:

What a truly pathetic generalisation.

@Canceraid. Wow. Huge sweeping generalisation about expat big bikers. I am an expat big biker and the last ride i did was with 40 other riders. A charity event which raised 100k's of THB for a Thai school in a very poor rural area. https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1598304460429197

Think before making such absurd comments. You dont know who is to blame for this accident as you did not see it happen. I do however as do other expat bikers on this forum have more experience on the road than you and we all see the poor driving standards from Thais. Pulling out of sois and moving lanes without signal or mirror check is the norm. Want to attack a group. Try the Thai government and police for not educating their people about road safety

I have been driving/riding in Thailand for nearly 40 years.

i have learned by watching one golden rule.....It is up to me to avoid everyone else. I must drive/ride on the assumption that a vehicle/bike may at anytime do a U turn or come straight out of a Soi so I must be prepared to take avoiding action.

What does this mean? It means that my wife complains that I drive too slow and pay too much attention to the road and not her babbling on about whatever wives babble on about.

The only accident I have had in Thailand was a scam side swipe from a young schoolboy on a bike in Phuket while I was stationary. Lots of local witnesses and his mates said I turned left without any indication even though when the police arrived 30 seconds later I was in the middle of my lane with the indicator on waiting for a bike to come out of the Soi onto the main road.

You do your best, but this is Thailand, land of a thousand smiles and scams.

P.S

When in the car, I use both front and back dash cams with GPS positioning.

Edited by Flustered

On 2/22/2017 at 3:02 AM, Flustered said:

Witnesses mean Thai locals who will always blame the farang and the state of the bike does not mean he was speeding.

If the Thai chap pulled out of the Soi without looking (common manoeuvre) and the Brit slammed on the brakes, pulled the bars left or right to avoid a collision and with the tendency to pull the front brake first this results in a tank slapper, and would throw him clear but the bike would smash into the other bike, cart wheeling and generally breaking apart. You do not have to be going that fast for this to happen.

Again, the Brit was probably inexperienced and just wanted to ride a bigger bike. An experienced rider would have been aware of potential hazards and know how to avoid them.

Also, I doubt that the bike had ABS

Do not go off half cocked about Thais always going for the Thai. A friend hit a bicycle rider a while back and killed him. The police found the bicycle rider at fault.

44 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Do not go off half cocked about Thais always going for the Thai. A friend hit a bicycle rider a while back and killed him. The police found the bicycle rider at fault.

I only quote out of personal experience about locals supporting locals. That is not half cocked.

Edited by Flustered