Glass Film

51 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

No, it wasn't self-explanatory, you very clearly indicated that I thought that I looked cool.  Anyway, you're on your own with this now.

As someone says, I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who was forced to use heavy tint (as a means to avoid being selected for death) understand there can be a reason for its use.  But at the same time can not understand anyone not understanding it is a real danger driving in such vehicles.  As soon as I departed the Philippines the film was removed.  Totally hated any night driving with that tint.  

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

As someone who was forced to use heavy tint (as a means to avoid being selected for death) understand there can be a reason for its use.  But at the same time can not understand anyone not understanding it is a real danger driving in such vehicles.  As soon as I departed the Philippines the film was removed.  Totally hated any night driving with that tint.  

What are the dangers ?

I can see fine out of mine except when reversing at night which 99.9% of the time is into my garage at home.

28 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Your vision is extremely reduced to sides and rear as you know from the reversing comment.  Sorry about your not seeing that train approaching from your left.

Nah reversing is crap as my taillights are tinted so the reverse lights are next to useless, if the garage lights are on it is not an issue but meh, drop the windows vs get out of the car and turn the lights on.......................easier to drop the windows.

2 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

I bought a new Car. Front and Backwindscreen 30% tinted. Doorwindows 70% tinted. Important: Not the black One, choose the Mirror Film and good Quality. Prevent from Sun and Heat and works perfect.

But folk think you are a plum with that mirror stuff...:sad:

52 minutes ago, BsBs said:

I wonder why not more people use the mirror tint ?

I'm sure that some members (who shall remain nameless) have it on the outside of their windows - so they can admire themselves as they pull out in front of motorbikes.

Edited by chickenslegs

Prevent sun and heat? Maybe, but there are lots of countries with more sunshine and heat than Thailand, where heavily tinted windows are illegal and their ban is enforced. Sun: sunglasses. Heat: aircon.

The #1 reason why Thais (and many foreigners too it seems) want to be wrapped in darkness is privacy.

As a 2-wheel driver, I'd very much appreciate being able to see the face of the car driver, and determine whether he has seen me or whether he has an homicidal look.

Not to mention that the police should in principle be allowed to see when the drivers have a phone in one hand, a drink in the other, a dog on the lap, and no seatbelt. But that's another story.

I for one just have to admit to myself that my night vision has gotten worse over the years. I have problems seeing at night, and I have the clearest tint I could find, 3M CR70. Unfortunately you can't get CR90 in Thailand. 

I'm Also having the window film dilemma. Car has factory tinted windows ( aporox 20% ) This prevents glare but not heat. So want to add a film. 

Choice is either

3M crystalline C70 - The lightest tint - But not keen on the brownish colour

Or 

Huber Optic Ceramic 70 - Looks to be darker but is a better grey colour and not available in Pattaya.

Yet another case of difficult choice because dealers not local or don't carry many product lines to compare..

Again, I don't want a dark tint and don't care about privacy. I want to be able to see at night but still keep the heat at bay.

Edited by Pdaz

7 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

I'm Also having the window film dilemma. Car has factory tinted windows ( aporox 20% ) This prevents glare but not heat. So want to add a film. 

Choice is either

Or 

Huber Optic Ceramic 70 - Looks to be darker but is a better grey colour and not available in Pattaya.

Yet another case of difficult choice because dealers not local or don't carry many product lines to compare..

Again, I don't want a dark tint and don't care about privacy. I want to be able to see at night but still keep the heat at bay.

Go for SolarFX or Cardinal film...top of the line technology and they offer absolute clear films with very good UV and Heat, etc resistance.

31 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

Choice is either

Or 

Every vehicle here seems to have airconditioner to help with the heat issue so not sure it is that important to have heavy film for that.  Much better to be able to see and evade IMHO.  

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Every vehicle here seems to have airconditioner to help with the heat issue so not sure it is that important to have heavy film for that.  Much better to be able to see and evade IMHO.  

Yes. That's exactly why the newer top end films are almost clear. But reduce heat transmission thru the glass. A/C doesn't have to work so hard to keep the interior cool. Also dark tinted films are illegal in most countries now.

2 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Choice is either

Or 

"3M crystalline C70 - The lightest tint - But not keen on the brownish colour "

There is no brownish color, completely neutral color. Had this film on three different cars now, and super happy.

Edited by mortenaa

5 hours ago, mortenaa said:

"3M crystalline C70 - The lightest tint - But not keen on the brownish colour "

There is no brownish color, completely neutral color. Had this film on three different cars now, and super happy.

Seemed to look more bronze than grey at my local supplier. Seemed more noticeable in the two darker versions but it's hard to make a good decision when only looking at 50x100mm sample on the window of the reseller. 

Thanks for the imput. I will try to view it again when up in Bkk.

10 hours ago, JoeW said:

Go for SolarFX or Cardinal film...top of the line technology and they offer absolute clear films with very good UV and Heat, etc resistance.

SolarFX or Cardinal film  ?

Are they as good and cheaper than 3M ?

If I like my windows to be dark, is there any reason why buying an expensive brand ? Or cheap and dark are good enough if I don't care seeing through ?

49 minutes ago, BsBs said:

If I like my windows to be dark, is there any reason why buying an expensive brand ? Or cheap and dark are good enough if I don't care seeing through ?

Darkness of the window tint and the resistance to UV and heat are not so much related. Ceramic films, etc are just better UV resistant, but can also be less dark.

I am a fan of Cardinal film as the film from the outside is absolute dark (privacy), but from the inside is really clear. 

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

Darkness of the window tint and the resistance to UV and heat are not so much related. Ceramic films, etc are just better UV resistant, but can also be less dark.

I am a fan of Cardinal film as the film from the outside is absolute dark (privacy), but from the inside is really clear. 

Thank you, is cardinal as good as 3M ? and as expensive ?

2 hours ago, BsBs said:

We have SolarFX  on the EV and my wife will have the same on the next car... what number I can't remember but it varies along the car, but looking from the outside it appears all the same down the side... quite dark. Front and front side windows are the same. Rear side and rear darker. Roof the darkest.

Yes they are considerably cheaper than Chystalline C70, well they were last time I saw the price of C70.  Another light film is Lamina Special Series L75 which was on our Pickup. That is very light 73% visable light through and looking in is almost like no film.

If I recall correctly that for certain types of films the number is reversed eg 40 is actually 60  so beware.

There are several topics on window film and some have really useful content.

SolarFX have to my knowledge branches only in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Too late to edit but here is some information ...

http://www.bestcovery.com/best-ceramic-window-tint

http://shanestintandclearbra.com/blog/does-dark-tint-equal-more-heat-rejection

I have the Lamina brochure detailing all their films (I counted 40 offers) and what the properties of each are eg IR VLT etc  etc if anyone wants a copy I can scan and send ..just PM me your e-mail.   

And don't think that films will stop you car getting hot when parked in the sun, it might slow the rate of rise down just a little.  

On 3/16/2017 at 9:45 PM, JAS21 said:

Too late to edit but here is some information ...

http://www.bestcovery.com/best-ceramic-window-tint

http://shanestintandclearbra.com/blog/does-dark-tint-equal-more-heat-rejection

I have the Lamina brochure detailing all their films (I counted 40 offers) and what the properties of each are eg IR VLT etc  etc if anyone wants a copy I can scan and send ..just PM me your e-mail.   

And don't think that films will stop you car getting hot when parked in the sun, it might slow the rate of rise down just a little.  

I also don't think heat is reduced that much. The main think is that UV is cut out - that's what destroys dashboards (my dad's old ford had huge cracks from lack of film all those years ago. If I get in my hot car i just put the windows down and drive away. Blast the air for a couple of minutes, then put them up. That get's most of the hot air out.  

• 2 weeks later...

Should be banned.

I notice most of the people driving without lights at night have dark tint. It obscures visibility so much they can't tell their 

headlights are on or off. Doubt they can see pedestrians either. And as a frequent one of those, unable to make eye contact. There

are situations when crossing such vehicles, I can't tell if they see me, or sometimes if the vehicle is even running and is just parked.

Dealer offered me tint, don't want it Factory glazing on HR-V good enough.  AC strong enough for a small home, run 5 minutes, Icebox.

Edited by Dipterocarp