DPM to tackle pest outbreak in coconut plantations in Prachuap Khiri Khan

webfact

DPM to tackle pest outbreak in coconut plantations in Prachuap Khiri Khan

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN, 13 March 2017 (NNT) – Deputy Prime Minister Prajin Juntong will inspect a pest outbreak in coconut plantations in Prachuap Khiri Khan province. 

Prachuap Khiri Khan Provincial Office of Agriculture and Cooperatives Head Mongkhol Chomphan revealed that the pest outbreak in the coconut plantation in Prachuap Khiri Khan province has intensified and the deputy premier will visit the area to inspect the situation and find ways to help the affected planters. 

The outbreak covers an area of more than 60,000 rai and is expected to intensify during the dry season from April to May. As a result, there is currently a shortage in coconuts and some coconuts have to be imported. 

Meanwhile, the province is still awaiting the government's budget allocation for purchasing coconut trunk injection chemicals to control the outbreak and farmers are asked to keep the coconut trees healthy.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-13

I noticed this problem for some time and its not only in Hua Hin either this must be addressed immediately or Thailand will have an epidemic on their hands which will be very sad ! I have witnessed this in southern Europe specifically in Marbella in the south of Spain it was caused by an Egyptian Beatle that bored its way into the centre of the palm tree from the top and laid its eggs in the heart of the tree it prefers the mature tree for some reason ! and when the harvey hatch the drill and eat the centre of the palm which causes it to die from within it is not only restricted to one species of palm either so the plan oil industry will become under threat as well ! I have seen evidence here around Pattaya of this pest you will see the palm leaves fold over from the centre and dry up and die but by this time the Beatle has matured and flown to another tree to multiply so on and so forth ! this must be contained ! the infected tree must be burned as soon as it is detected and surrounding areas treated it the only way to control this pest but the longer they take to discover the cause the worse it will be !! panicking at the end is no good nor is witch doctor mentality just science money and hard labour !

If anyone is interested I can get more information as to what species of Beatle and its correct name and the chemical cure ?

On 13/03/2017 at 2:40 PM, Srikcir said:

Would a rubber tree or any other species like fruit trees be vulnerable?

Not sure on that. The palm is not a tree, that's only it's name, because it's a shrub.

So most likely this bug wouldn't or shouldn't be attracted to a harder wood tree.

Archived