Irish teacher assaulted, robbed by Pattaya van driver: Police

snoop1130

11 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, such is manners here in Thailand. Saying F you to someone is very disrespectful in a culture of politeness and Buddhism. It's very much frowned upon and it's perfectly acceptable to respond to being sworn at by using violence. Violence isn't impolite or unbecoming. Saying nasty words first is.

You sure do have a warped idea of what's socially acceptable here. I'll let you into a little secret - any self respecting Thai will tell you violence is not the answer. 

He only got a bit of a slap for being rude. 

And rightly so.

when I was a child and used the f word, my mum would slap me AND wash my mouth out with soap. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen the Irish man on TV this afternoon'

The young man confronted with the driver said,  yes I was rude because I had drunk, too much  I am sorry  now...The driver and him wai to each other...

...if I understood well he was not alone in the van and  also had problems being rude with other passengers?

I ignore if that will be updated on TV 

I have seen minor disagreements and price negotiations turn out very badly after brits used the F^^k word to a thai. I have intervened as I am fluent in thai to try to calm the situation. Almost all thai's who work in tourism know what that word means and equate it to what it means to them in their own language. Basically if a thai uses that word to another thai he'd better be ready to fight as it is that offensive. 

There used to be a day when brits would say "on your bike" instead to get the same point across, I guess those times are over.

2 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I have seen the Irish man on TV this afternoon'

The young man confronted with the driver said,  yes I was rude because I had drunk, too much  I am sorry  now...The driver and him wai to each other...

...if I understood well he was not alone in the van and  also had problems being rude with other passengers?

I ignore if that will be updated on TV 

If this is true I would expect the school to let him go as a teacher. School's here don't want teachers who might cause an image problem for them or parents asking the school " was this the drunk guy who was on the TV"?

Drunk Irishman made up Pattaya van assault: Police

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

30-6-duffy-696x465.jpg

Irish national Ciaran Duffy shakes hand with van driver Buddee Srimontri at the Chonburi City Police Station on Wednesday.

CHONBURI — Police on Wednesday said an Irish teacher has admitted to making up a story about being assaulted and robbed by a Pattaya van driver, saying he couldn’t find his money and blamed the driver.

Ciaran Duffy, an English teacher at a Bangkok school, admitted to falsely telling police the driver had demanded 2,000 baht for a fare from Pattaya to Bangkok and attacked him when he refused. The Irishman said today that he was drunk at the time, according to a police investigator.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/03/15/drunk-irishman-made-pattaya-van-assault-police/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-03-16

21 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, such is manners here in Thailand. Saying F you to someone is very disrespectful in a culture of politeness and Buddhism. It's very much frowned upon and it's perfectly acceptable to respond to being sworn at by using violence. Violence isn't impolite or unbecoming. Saying nasty words first is.

You sure do have a warped idea of what's socially acceptable here. I'll let you into a little secret - any self respecting Thai will tell you violence is not the answer. 

Completely agree... and the funny thing is that falang cannot use the word F--U but the Thais can use the literal translation of MOFO which is "yet m _ " in our faces in front of a crowd of laughing Thais and that is OK... because most of us wouldn't even know they are swearing at us... Double standards just gotta love it.

Edited by LazySlipper

Just another quality teacher imported to Thailand! Get out! There is enough problem with the internal teachers and teaching system. No need for import the problems.

Now he´s going to stand as a perfect example how to be and behave in front of his students forever. Great job, prick!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Drunk Irishman made up Pattaya van assault: Police

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

30-6-duffy-696x465.jpg

Irish national Ciaran Duffy shakes hand with van driver Buddee Srimontri at the Chonburi City Police Station on Wednesday.

CHONBURI — Police on Wednesday said an Irish teacher has admitted to making up a story about being assaulted and robbed by a Pattaya van driver, saying he couldn’t find his money and blamed the driver.

Ciaran Duffy, an English teacher at a Bangkok school, admitted to falsely telling police the driver had demanded 2,000 baht for a fare from Pattaya to Bangkok and attacked him when he refused. The Irishman said today that he was drunk at the time, according to a police investigator.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/03/15/drunk-irishman-made-pattaya-van-assault-police/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-03-16

Now the truth comes out ....  as usual  ... the farang was drunk at the time  !   how many times have we heard that.  

Farang is pissed ....  miscommunication .....  farang gets angry and starts swearing ...  !!

always the way .....   and peeps wonder why some thai's dislike foreigners

4 hours ago, webfact said:

telling lies ... because he was drunk at the time  ...:crazy:

Edited by steven100

Duffy's a bloody fool and heading for  a serious whacking if he doesn't ceasing pulling BS like this in Thailand. 

I also withdraw my comment made yesterday as we now know the Thai driver was blameless in this incident.

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

What a prick indeed, and on top of it he has learned the Thai trick of the big smile when caught out !

The Thai trick? Smirking when caught is a finely honed skill for the rich and famous.

smirk.jpg

When I first read the stiry, i had a feeling the guy was lying.  It didn't make sense that the driver could take any money off him.  Also, the amount that was "stolen", which he now says he lost, is about how much a bar girl costs.  I'm thinking that's where the money really went.

4 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

From Barman to Teacher

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

And back to barman, again.

unfortunately though, whilst he admitted lying, we still don't know what actually happened... has anyone read an account saying anything pertinent, apart from that he was drunk?

1 hour ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Kind of like "Dumb Mexican"...it is much bigger news when they aren't.

Actually he was born in South Africa so not really qualified for the drunk Irish man jokes. Not really qualified to be teaching either mind you.

On 3/16/2017 at 7:29 AM, Get Real said:

Just another quality teacher imported to Thailand! Get out! There is enough problem with the internal teachers and teaching system. No need for import the problems.

Now he´s going to stand as a perfect example how to be and behave in front of his students forever. Great job, prick!

Not a good example He needs to go past go and don't come back!