Can a farang do home remodeling on GF house w/o work visa?

Just curious oh if I could do home repair in say a GF home that I am living in?

Sorry if this isn't the best place for this?

Then what would happen if she sold this house shortly thereafter?

What if this became a pattern of her buying buying fixer uppers and flipping them?

Just figured it couldn't hurt to find where the grey area turns dark..

• Like 1

I have read that Thais prefer new.   But how extensive is this?   I have read about ghosts.   

I guess it's a bad thought it outcome if you step on the wrong toes.   What about sort being of being the super and hiring each trade.   Where is the line.  Refinishing wood patio railing, mowing, picking fruit?   

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

The law and it's interpretation is purposefully vague. The intent of the law is to keep westerners from taking jobs from Thais, but It doesn't specifically say you can't, for instance paint your bedroom. However if you got the attention of the wrong person, you could be out for doing just that.

That being said, flipping houses is an interesting idea. Thais don't like to buy used houses, but maybe they would buy restored houses. You would have to due diligence and confirm that the house has no ghosts. Ghost removal might be an approved occupation here.

one of the main reasons thais dont like second hand houses is they may have ghosts in them. restored houses would also have the same ghosts i would assume. i have seen good houses get knocked down just to build a new ghost free house. sounds crazy to us but thats thailand for you. realestate is a hard game in thailand. i have had a bit of a go at it and was lucky to even sell the properties i purchased.

• Like 2

My g.f and i bougth 12 concrete posts with a tin shed on top now it has 3 bedrooms and a big area upstairs and down stairs kitchen and all the area has been blocked in ,floors concrete and tiled ,i done all the work myself .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sinbin said:

I don't see that as being the reason. Loads and loads of Thais rent but I've never saw one exorcism being carried out in the years I've been here. Living in rented accommodation is no different to living in a second hand house.

Many Thai folk will not get involved with a house where someone has popped off, some go to adjacent houses to ask if someone has popped off in the place they are interested in.

I know a guy with a lovely place he is/was trying to sell, unfortunately a girl drowned in the swimming pool, big problem...

• Like 1

Its really a down (house) market to start that sort of venture....
But on the upside your get lots of useful in depth tips from the DIY experts on here like-
"When redecorating your kitchen make it more roomier by using thinner wallpaper"......:coffee1:

Do you read Viz comic magazine Top Tips?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

3 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

it is common for people to pay to have monks come around to get spirits out of a house.

I live in a rural village where the intellect level isn't at a high point but but even for renters they do not have monks doing exorcist parties before taking up residence. The monks would be rushed off their flip flops with that and funerals.

• Like 1

As for the Thais not buying second hand properties, you would be living in a bubble if you haven't noticed the spirit houses in every front yard. The big house is for bad spirits to live, so they dont come into the house, the smaller house is for the former occupants of the house, mum dad uncle somechai etc. 

The belief system has a huge impact on second hand real estate. 

• Like 1

If you look at how so many new houses get treated here by their occupants - looking like a slum after about 12 months, no maintenance, no garden just rubbish everywhere, and goodness knows what they're like inside - then it's not surprising that people would be reluctant to buy second-hand. But restored (and exorcised) can be a different story ...

• Like 2

There was a news story out of Phuket a few years ago where a couple of guys were "flipping" boats. Neighbors got annoyed by the constant whine of grinders and sanders, called the cops. 

These two guys said "We love boats! It's our hobby!" but there was plenty of evidence that they were constantly selling them on. They were arrested, though as usual there was no follow-up reporting on the case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Thais do buy secondhand; the spirit thing is more the lower folk, those with their head screwed on couldn't give a monkeys. It's all about if it's a good moobahn or not. They also flip.

Exactly right. Thais do buy secondhand and do flip.

I seem to remember someone else on Thai Visa interested in flipping property a while back. I would think it's possible if you can stay under the radar and avoid making it look like you're doing something that a building contractor would usually do.

I would not be an expert on such things but I believe such a thing is considered as undertaking a business for profit in Thailand and therefore requires a work permit and also would be considered a business that would require hiring Thai employees.

You would therefore need a work permit and be running a business in Thailand.

Remember, you are a foreigner in Thailand and therefore you are prohibited in working legally in some businesses.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
Added a coment

As long as don't "cut" her money and she doesn't "flip" you for another bloke willing to pay more, no worries. The work you do on the existing house isn't going to result in any higher price if/when up for sale so what you do should be considered for your own comfort and good feelings generated. I've seen and known several blokes who added AC's and tile and even in one instance, changed out the windows and sliding glass doors for insulated ones, and when the house sold, he thought this goodwill would transfer to the next house she bought needing the same improvements. He told her he wasn't going to pay again and she threw him out without a Baht to show for all his work. 

• Like 2