Thailand ranked 32 on World Happiness Report 2017 as Norway comes on top

snoop1130

Thailand ranked 32 on World Happiness Report 2017 as Norway comes on top

178_THai.jpg

Norway displaced Denmark as the world’s happiest country as Thailand was ranked 32 compared to last year’s 33rd ranking in the World Happiness Report 2017 produced by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network, a global initiative launched by the United Nations in 2012.

Nordic countries are the most content whereas countries in the sub-Saharan Africa, along with Syria and Yemen, are the least happy of the 155 countries ranked in the fifth annual report released at the UN.

Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, Finland, Netherlands, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Sweden rounded out the top ten countries.

South Sudan, Liberia, Guinea, Togo, Rwanda, Tanzania, Burundi and the Central Africa Republic were at the bottom.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-ranked-32-world-happiness-report-2017-norway-comes-top/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-3-20

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, the guest said:

Freedom of speech is something now consigned to the history books. Human rights are foregone, and torture is apparently NOT a criminal offense

Yes Without freedom of speech we would never know who the idiots are. ....:coffee1:

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I suspect one of the questions was omitted in the survey here. You know, the "are you aware you are being oppressed?" one

Omitted by who darksidedog ?? You have read the article haven't you--you do realise this comes out from a New York organisation connected to the UN--- if the governments of each country were allowed to have the input don't you think that the list would read some thing like , the most happiest people in the world are

1...North Korea

2 ...China

Closely followed by Saudi Arabia /Russia etc...etc....

I don't mind a good conspiracy theory every now and again---but its really getting stupid when every WORLD news article on here gets attributed to ...oh yes we know it didn't really happen....unless of course its critical of Thailand---then unquestionably its bound to be true.

Yes I think you are spot on OXO, the Thai-haters conspiracy stuff is getting more stupid by the day. Of course there are some things wrong with this country, but they minimise them with really quite childish posts like, yes the government nipped into the UN and changed the questions around, and of course the Thai people not being as cleaver as us farangs didn't realise. Gosh what would they do without us here pointing these things out to them.

As a Norwegian I can confirm that the reason for all this happiness is that we can afford travelling to Thailand. "No money no honey" is not an issue for Norwegians.  

10 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"Nordic countries are the most content ...................."

I hope Sweden is content.

Yeah, there is a lot of content in Sweden alright. Not sure that all of it is happiness, though.
Like the ship is sinking fast, and have probably generated in that people are just not aware of the cathastrophy coming. Just trying to be happy about what´s still left.

Aforex, Many Thais are happy, they are lucky in that they are completely unaware of how people in other countries live. This is mainly due to the fact that from an early age,that are brainwashed into thinking that everything is perfect in Thailand.

However many of the educated,who are not part of the elite,realise what the score is. So are you suggesting that they should also go somewhere else.

Edited by nontabury

Thailand recently came first in the least miserable country in the world report but it's only the 32nd  happiest country in the world.

Not quite sure what this states, other than reports like this are totally meaningless. 

Firstly Thailand  is rated at 33 France is at 32, Thailand loses out in Trust and Generosity sections, so there lies Thailand's problems the Junta ain't generous  and something we already know the Junta can't be trusted , that sums up Thailand in a nut shell.....................................:cheesy:.

14 hours ago, bannork said:

The Scandinavians are  happy because they spend their winter in Thailand- in Cha-am, Hua Hin and Phuket.

Yes, I would tend not to believe this survey as so many expats are glad to be away from Europe, Australia and NZ, I would not believe anything the United Nations, the completely useless organisation says.

:post-4641-1156693976:

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Thailand recently came first in the least miserable country in the world report but it's only the 32nd  happiest country in the world.

Not quite sure what this states, other than reports like this are totally meaningless. 

The miserable country index was based on questioning the citizens how they rate their happiness. 

This UN study makes assumptions that certain criteria are responsible for happiness. They haven't actually asked the people how they feel. 

So you get different results. Ask a Thai if he is happy, and in general you get a positive answer. Ask a foreigner and they are generally more critical of their own country. Ask a foreigner in Thailand, and most will say Thailand is shit and the people cant possibly be happy. 

I don't know which study should be regarded higher. But one thing is for sure; Ignorance is bliss. 

How on earth could they top the list? Maybe it's the wealth. The very thought of eating all that pickled fish, not to mention reindeer, and the grim winters...enough to send anyone into a deep funk. 

Nice people though.

Well I guess we all feel smug that our lives in Thailand are better than they would be in our home country.  That's great that we have a sense of appreciation.  Thing is there are many millions of people in this country who are poor, life sucks and have absolutely no hope for a better future.  I see them every day and cringe at the thought of what could have been

Guess it's back to the drawing board with the junta's "happiness campaign": http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/thailand-military-leaders-launch-happiness-campaign-1.2668950

That said, at least 99% of populace are happy with the junta itself ... and ain't that enough? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/23/thailands-junta-releases-poll-showing-993-of-citizens-happy-with-its-performance

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

Based on many years of research, psychologists no longer view happiness and sadness as being at opposite ends of the same spectrum. One can be low on both (i.e., emotionally 'flat') or high on both (emotionally volatile/cyclic). In fact, these two emotions are centred in different parts of the brain (http://www.nytimes.com/1995/03/28/science/the-brain-manages-happiness-and-sadness-in-different-centers.html?pagewanted=all). So these two surveys taken together (and assuming that both are valid) suggest that Thais are pretty immune to the bad stuff in life, but not exactly joyful. One might even attribute this to a Buddhist mindset of 'acceptance of suffering' without undue craving (that would lie behind 'joy').