ID to fly domestic within Thailand?

atyclb

People have reported using a Thai drivers license for ID when flying domestic.

Best though to have copies of your passport with you and perhaps proof for the reason you don't have it with you when traveling around the country.

7 hours ago, atyclb said:

does booking a flight online require passport info for domestic travel?  i could use passport info for booking and show copy. not sure if they will accept or nor

Why not try it yourself?

And maybe even post the result.

You can do it from where you are sitting right now.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Since I got my Thai Driver's license, I haven't had to pull out my passport for anything that didn't involve immigration.  That includes exchanging foreign cash, checking into hotels, flying domestic and other times I've been asked for a passport and pulled out the DL instead.  

Full disclosure:  I haven't been stopped on the street for a BIB shakedown, for which I have a copy of my passport and the phone number of our company's government relations dragon lady.  Her job is to keep our expats happy and worry free- and she is remarkable at that.  God help the cop that gets on her bad side.

8 hours ago, atyclb said:

does booking a flight online require passport info for domestic travel?  i could use passport info for booking and show copy. not sure if they will accept or nor

My Thai DL has my USA passport number on it.  I give them my passport number when I book the flight, and show up with my Thai DL to check in.

I have no experience with checking in with just a copy of my passport.

As is so often the case in Thailand it will depend on whoever you deal with. The fact that you officially can use a DL doesn't mean that it will be allowed all the time. Especially as you are an 'alien' for whom they like to dream up special rules. You have a passport so use it and then no problems can arise.

ALWAYS have a copy of your passport with you.  You CAN be fined for not having a passport OR copy on your person - you don't want to get caught in a bar raid - can be dam expensive for several reasons ( I know someone caught in a raid, at 01:30 total experience cost him around 10000bt ( and not to the police ). Kodak stores can make a wallet size copy - picture page, laminated, for under 100bt. Another reason to carry, your embassy can be notified if emergency.

Insurance policy... 100bt, the cheapest you will ever buy!

My Thai GF carries a copy of my passport, I carry a copy of her ID - came in very handy when I had to check her into a hospital and she didn't have her ID.  The hospital honored the copy and checked her in as a Thai citizen.

On 3/24/2017 at 7:27 PM, ubonjoe said:

People have reported using a Thai drivers license for ID when flying domestic.

Best though to have copies of your passport with you and perhaps proof for the reason you don't have it with you when traveling around the country.

I've flown from samui to BKK and back many times on BKK airways with only a drivers license. No problem.

10 hours ago, atyclb said:

Absolutely not.

Just first name, last name.

I have used Thai DL occasionally.

I can only speculate that a US DL will be OK too (photo ID with name matching the booking).

On 3/24/2017 at 7:13 PM, atyclb said:

Is a passport mandatory or can a drivers license be used? Copy of passport. Foreign embassy has passport for issuing visa purpose.

Thai Drivers Licence is acceptable for domestic travel.

1 hour ago, themerg said:

Get your head out of your ass.

Bring :  Thai ID, and when travelling Always have Passport.

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot learn it for you.

A little harsh there.  I haven't carried my passport since my first 3 months when I got my first (temporary) DL.  It's not because my head is up my butt.

Sure, I balance the risk of a fine, against the risk of losing or ruining my passport by carrying it everywhere -even in monsoon rains- and leaving it in hotel rooms.  And I'd rather pay the fine than deal with the consequences of someone stealing my passport and using it for nefarious purposes.   So I carry a copy- with a copy of my most recent arrival stamp.   For almost 6 years, it's worked out pretty well.  In fact, I have yet to reach for the copies, much less regret that I don't carry the original.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, themerg said:

Get your head out of your ass.

Bring :  Thai ID, and when travelling Always have Passport.

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot learn it for you.

Yes...... a little on the strong side, but it is probably best to carry a passport when travelling, I am surprised someone posted that they checked into a hotel with a D/L as that's an immigration thing---everyday hotels must fax immigration of their guests visa status--how would they know it with a D/L.

Taking the passport everywhere is an inconvenience & its no wonder so many get lost.....:coffee1:

8 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Yes...... a little on the strong side, but it is probably best to carry a passport when travelling, I am surprised someone posted that they checked into a hotel with a D/L as that's an immigration thing---everyday hotels must fax immigration of their guests visa status--how would they know it with a D/L.

Taking the passport everywhere is an inconvenience & its no wonder so many get lost.....

If a hotel reports the guests' passport numbers, immigration has a better understanding of their visa status (and any arrest warrants) than the hotel does.  And Thai DL's have the guests' passport numbers.

Which is neither here nor there until someone posts an experience where a Thai DL didn't work at check in.  So far, it's 100% yes from people who have actually tried it, and only conjecture that it may not work from people who haven't tried it.  (Unless I missed a post, which happens)

Edited by impulse

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

If a hotel reports the guests' passport numbers, immigration has a better understanding of their visa status (and any arrest warrants) than the hotel does.  And Thai DL's have the guests' passport numbers.

Not quite so impulse

1/ like many other countries (especially the UK) Thai government dept do not openly share all info coming in. (Just in the middle of watching a Doco called "Britain on the fiddle"--people taking benefits in more than 1 country at same time.It could be stopped if UK immigration shared--but they dont)

2/ Driving licences often do not show the number of your current passport---you just keep renewing the D/L my Passport number changed quite a while ago.....no one checks your passport when you renew D/L

I am stating what should happen----of course there are hotels that do not want to pass on (pay tax---etc) just what should be done

Edited by oxo1947

21 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Not quite so impulse

1/ like many other countries (especially the UK) Thai government dept do not openly share all info coming in. (Just in the middle of watching a Doco called "Britain on the fiddle"--people taking benefits in more than 1 country at same time.It could be stopped if UK immigration shared--but they dont)

2/ Driving licences often do not show the number of your current passport---you just keep renewing the D/L my Passport number changed quite a while ago.....no one checks your passport when you renew D/L

I am stating what should happen----of course there are hotels that do not want to pass on (pay tax---etc) just what should be done

As I said, neither here nor there.  Can you show me one example where someone has been unable to check in to a Thai hotel or a domestic flight using a Thai DL?

This is where someone will post up calling me an idiot if it's ever happened in the history of Thailand- even to a drunk friend of a friend who bought his DL on Khao San Road- at the lowest quality discount printer.  If nobody calls me an idiot, it's a safe bet that it's never happened.  Or, it could go the other way- maybe I'm an idiot.  

And that's better information than a page full of links to the rules.  It's just a shame that getting to it is like pulling teeth.

Edited by impulse

31 minutes ago, impulse said:

Can you show me one example where someone has been unable to check in to a Thai hotel

Yes me.

And I do not state that to be a smarty impulse--- I have never had a problem getting on a plane with a Thai-D/L.

However the last time the I tried to check into a well known farang hotel --The Elizabeth Bangkok chatuchak-- they insisted on Passport---which I had packed away in my larger case as I was heading on to Oz in 3 days...and they were polite enough to let me bring it down latter.

If nobody calls me an idiot, it's a safe bet that it's never happened. ----impulse

I am not going to use any derogatory words--just because you may be wrong about a subject on here. I am sure a blind eye is turned to it in certain places (as I said lots of guests=$$$== tax etc) I am just saying you are suppose to. Lets have a quick look at some travel site that are probably more in your age group.

Lonely Planet..

Do Hotels in Thailand Require a Passport?

Answer Even small guest-houses are supposed to record passport details like name, nationality, passport number, entry point, entry date, valid until date, and even that obscure number in the lower right coner of the immigration card. Then submit a report of these regularly to Thai Immigration (or else face a fine). That's why you should always travel with at least photocopies of those passport pages.

Richard Barrow---(if you have not heard of him Impulse) he is one of the most known Farrang writers here .

The best advice for any tourist or person living in Thailand is to carry your passport at all times. Or at least a copy of the photo and visa pages. You just never know when Immigration Police will do a swoop on your hotel or night club. If you don’t have it you face the risk of being handcuffed, put in the back of a pick-up truck for all to see and then taken to the nearest Immigration Office.

Please look at agoda---or any other travel blog.------- but as you say impulse...people do get away with it----same as speeding or any other thing in Thailand

**sorry forgot the links....

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/08/always-carry-your-passport-or-a-copy-while-in-thailand/

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/asia-thailand/thailand/do-hotels-in-thailand-require-a-passport

Edited by oxo1947

9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes, and all old threads. Sometimes rules change. Especially in Thailand. Still, if you're happy with years-old info.....

No the information actually does not change regarding domestic travel and is readily available on the websites of all the airlines.  If you think information changes every time you brush your teeth you are gonna have a rough life.

be aware that VietJet don't accept any ID other than a passport for domestic flights in Thailand. Myself and colleagues flying down to Phuket on Friday offered Thai Driving licences and Thai Pink ID card but neither were accepted at check in - the check in person saying company policy is only to accept passports for 'foreigners'.