Ivanka Trump becomes unpaid White House employee

webfact

Ivanka Trump becomes unpaid White House employee

REUTERS

r3.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Ivanka Trump watches as German Chancellor Angela Merkel and U.S. President Donald Trump hold a joint news conference in the East Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., March 17, 2017. REUTERS/Jim Bourg

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Ivanka Trump said on Wednesday she would work in the White House in an unpaid, informal advisory role to the president as she sought to allay ethics concerns about working there.

“I have heard the concerns some have with my advising the president in my personal capacity while voluntarily complying with all ethics rules and I will instead serve as an unpaid employee in the White House office, subject to all of the same rules as other federal employees,” she said in a statement.

Questions about possible conflicts of interest arose after it was announced on March 20 that Trump, 35, would become an informal adviser to her father, President Donald Trump, with an office in the West Wing.

She has been an increasingly influential adviser to the president and her husband, Jared Kushner, is a powerful Trump adviser.

(Reporting By Steve Holland)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-30

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, pkspeaker said:

meet america's first woman president

I think other first ladies thought they were calling the shots.  But, she's the first daughter to do that.  

11 minutes ago, pkspeaker said:

meet america's first woman president

I think Nancy Reagan holds that position. Everyone who was working at the WH at that time says she was calling all the shots.  .....and she and her husband were both died-in-the-wool believers in astrology.  Perhaps that explains why they were such big fans of 'Star Wars' program - which was never deployed, didn't work, and accomplished absolutely nothing except funnel a trillion dollars to big US corporations which were headed by Reagan bosom buddies.  The Reagans (and now Trump) are all big fans of 'trickle down' economic theory which believes, foolishly, that when the Feds shovel tens of billions of taxpayer dollars at very rich people, ....that money 'trickles down' to regular people.  BS!  Rich people buy yachts (usually made in Europe) and stuff most of the rest in offshore accounts.

Ivanka's free office is nepotism.  It's also millions of $$'s of taxpayer money being paid to support her biz.  It gives her a lot of direct meetings with foreign leaders - which also supports the Trump God = amassing as much money as possible.   All the Trumps get taxpayer-paid places to stay, hotels, flights, SS protection, etc, costing tens of millions/week.   More is spent on one of Trump's weekly trips to FL to play golf, than would pay for a full year of 'Meals on Wheels' program.   ....the program which provides basic meals to poor elderly folks, many of whom are war veterans. Oh, one of the many programs Trump wants to cut, in order to shovel tens of billions of dollars to his corporate buddies making expensive toys for the military.

Meals on Wheels don't vote for Trumps, either do people who work in the green technologies industry or medical research..

People who work at defense contractors vote for Trump.

This just in.. Trump is increasing defense spending.

Trump is slashing 'foreign aid' like the kind of foreign aid that is wasted helping african's avoid famine.  But don't worry the 'good' foreign aid spending will continue-particularly the 'foreign aid' that is actually vouchers for american military hardware that 'allies' receive . 

Edited by pkspeaker

With all the other crap going on in the Trump Administration, e.g., Russian connections, Trump destroying the environment, destroying social and educational programs, conflicts of interest galore, dividing America, making enemies of friends around the world, constantly lying his ass off....etc., this Ivanka news doesn't even register.  

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Perhaps that explains why they were such big fans of 'Star Wars' program - which was never deployed, didn't work, and accomplished absolutely nothing except funnel a trillion dollars to big US corporations which were headed by Reagan bosom buddies.

Would you not agree, therefore, that the primary objective of the Star Wars program was well and truly fulfilled?

1 hour ago, stander said:

Ivanka Trump is achieving all you can as the modern woman. She’s an entrepreneur, wife, and mother, yet the liberal feminists absolutely hate her.

Do the liberal feminists hate her?

I'd say they may object to her given the WH position she is getting, and may not like her world and policy views, but absolutely hate her? I don't think so.

2 hours ago, stander said:

Ivanka Trump is achieving all you can as the modern woman. She’s an entrepreneur, wife, and mother, yet the liberal feminists absolutely hate her.

Being born to the "right" family is not an achievement.

4 hours ago, stander said:

She does, indeed, have it all. And on top of that she's a true patriot, taking an unpaid position to further serve the great nation that is The United States of America.  A role model of there ever was one.  I wish her all the good fortune possible in her new endeavor

It's all very BANANA REPUBLIC, but given that's how the electoral college recklessly (NOT the voters) went, I guess you could say Ivanka could be much worse. After all, she's not her father.

On the other hand, I think trump uses Ivanka and she allows herself to be used to telegraph a message that he's not that bad, see the shiny object pretty sexy smart lady that is his daughter. Don't be fooled again. He is that bad! 

Edited by Jingthing

7 hours ago, stander said:

She hasn't achieved it though, she has been born into a rich family. She has not had to work for anything in her life. 

She is un paid, perhaps but free office, oh and she has security clearance, protection and a whole number of other things... hardly what I'd call free to the taxpayer, and who is she accountable to?  She has no political experience either 

How is this even allowed in a democratic country? 

2 hours ago, nuakmuaynina said:

She hasn't achieved it though, she has been born into a rich family. She has not had to work for anything in her life. 

She is un paid, perhaps but free office, oh and she has security clearance, protection and a whole number of other things... hardly what I'd call free to the taxpayer, and who is she accountable to?  She has no political experience either 

No one chooses the family they're born into. How can you fault her for having a father who has been highly successful? We all leverage what our families can help us with; why should she be any different?

Presidential appointees are not an uncommon occurrence.

Immediate family members of the President of the US qualify for protective services regardless.

10 hours ago, stander said:

Ivanka is enabling Trump to be the harmful-to-America / harmful-to-environment goon he is.  

Speaking of enabling, do you remember when Trump used to go into Teen USA dressing rooms right when the little girls were naked or semi-naked?   Some of the girls would go to Ivanka and complain, but she would just giggle and say, "Oh yea. My dad's like that. Don't worry about it."  ha ha ha ha.

Younger generations are supposed be, on average, a bit more concerned about environmental destruction than their elders.  Ivanka doesn't give a gnat's ass about the environment.  If she did, she would tell her dad not to be so environmentally harmful.  She's probably the only person Trump listens to, because he's made a career of surrounding himself with yes-men.  

I just heard that China is taking the lead on clean renewable energy.  Northern Europeans are no slackers either.   That places them ahead of the US.   There are hundreds of thousands of jobs, just in the US, related to renewable clean energy.  There are less than 25,000 jobs in the US related to coal.   Yet Trump wants to give the finger to renewables, in favor of coal.  Even the head of the US coal industry group said recently that coal is on the way out.

Please note the word "employee."   As an employee she has access to many things that an advisor would not.   

When you work for an organization, you work for it.   The only difference here is the pay check.   She now has all the perks and none of the responsibility.   

Edited by Credo

3 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

No one chooses the family they're born into. How can you fault her for having a father who has been highly successful? We all leverage what our families can help us with; why should she be any different?

Immediate family members of the President of the US qualify for protective services regardless.

So can we say the same thing for Pablo Escobar's daughter? Daughter of a 'very successful Man'! Oh but those proceeds were from crime you say, and so were Trumps I say.

She takes no salary - how gracious of her. An annual salary that she spends the equivalent of every weekend on red wine, baubles and trinkets. She is however in her volunteer appointment now sitting in on meetings with world leaders and financiers all of whom will be tapped for special 'interest' business concessions. Worth a little more than a token 150K a year Government salary don't you think. It is nepotism at its worst and I just don't get why people are not out on the streets yet wanting to lynch Trump. If she draws no salary there is no way to make her accountable, so volunteer positions should not be permitted, nor should she be given a top level security clearance. They by the way require 3 months of 'extreme' vetting and I just do not believe that is being done.

There's a brave lawyer in D.C. with a lot of experience in ethical issues pertaining to elected officials - he's filing suit over Trump's blatant nepotism.  He spoke with a bunch of other lawyers, but they all said essentially the same:  "Sure there's nepotism going on, but hey, he's the president.  It's quixotic and career-hobbling to try and make a legal case out of it."

People are acting as if Ivanka is blame-free in all this.  SHE'S AN ENABLER.   For Trumpsters, I'll try to make it clearer in an analogy:  

Your next door neighbor is beating his kids every night.  You hear the screams.  Every time the cops show up to investigate, the neighbor's attractive young wife is there at the door.  Smilingly & charmingly, she says "no problem officers.  Here would you like some cake to take with you?   Don't worry, all is fine here."  The cops leave.  THE WIFE IS THEREFORE AN ENABLER for the man who is doing bad things.    

Ivanka, by encouraging and justifying all that her reckless father does to debilitate the US, is an enabler for his damaging ways.  It's particularly grievous, because she is someone he listens to, and who is precious in his eyes.   Putting her in the WH will exacerbate that situation.   It's not illegal for a prez to allow family members to take an office in the WH - but like dozens of other things Trump does, it's just barely skirting legal boundaries.    .....and it adds to the ugly image Trump is painting of himself.

His popularity rating is at an all-time low for any prez at this stage in his term - and can only go lower.  He can't even go to a baseball stadium because he knows most or all of the folks there will boo him hardily.

Edited by boomerangutang

16 hours ago, nuakmuaynina said:

" from this day forward, it will be ...only ..."  . Trump   first  

22 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

She does, indeed, have it all. And on top of that she's a true patriot, taking an unpaid position to further serve the great nation that is The United States of America.  A role model of there ever was one.  I wish her all the good fortune possible in her new endeavor

You have zero idea with regard to her motivations, other than what she may have publicly said. Is she fully divested from all her business ventures? Her dad's? Is it even clear what her supposed "service" will be?

16 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

She is not "faulted" for her privelieged circumstances. It is  just that these are not taken as an "achievement". And if she is no "different" she can't rightly be considered a "role model". Presidential appointments of family members are an uncommon occurrence, all the more so when combined with possible conflict of interests.

She's got it all. Attractive, smart, well-connected. She's now turning her talents towards government service, seizing the opportunity.  She's doing the right thing for the right reason. There isn't a single thing about her that is nefarious. There is no need to cast aspersions on her whatsoever. Give is a rest please. Guilt by association simply isn't applicable in this case.

Do the liberal feminists hate her?

I'd say they may object to her given the WH position she is getting, and may not like her world and policy views, but absolutely hate her? I don't think so.

They hate her

Just like you hate Trump