Songkran faces ban! Water throwing set to be a crime this year

rooster59

4 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Some people on Thai Visa fall over themselves in the rush to look foolish.

The comment adequately describes the attitude of law enforcement here in Thailand...so what are you referring to when you state that the comment is foolish?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, sanukjim said:

The LOS government seems to want to show off their Ignorance in many ways,cutting off their noses in spite of their face.The water fights bring in many tourist adding to the many that choose to extend their holiday to stay here for it. There are several million tourist that will not be here next year during the months of May and April if this law implemented as they will go home early as it gets hot and no water fight to look forward to,and many more will not choose to come here for the same reason.There will be several of the farangs that live here that will sty now that there is no wild revelry at this time but compare the money loss of millions to the thousand gained and it just doesn't make since.Stupid is as stupid does..

Stupid you say....

Good news for Brits who enjoy Songkran:

" contrary to popular belief that the Pound Sterling is converting to plastic notes for countering counterfeiting it has been announced that the real reason is to stop damage to notes during the up and coming "British Songkran ".
As Thailand are abolishing Songkran the British are taking up the challenge.
" British Songkran will take place on any day during the British rainy season ( 1st January to 31st December) and revellers are invited to simply set foot out of their front door, actually throwing water is not necessary, water will be provided by the British Meteorological Society "

Source: dodgyarticles.com

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

While the moves to ban water fights were met with surprise by many in Thai society, netizens still consoled themselves with the knowledge that there would now be even greater time to have a local beverage and get totally rat-assed before attempting to drive home

Locals are very good at multi-tasking.  They can drink and throw water at the same time.  I am thinking this is April fools day joke.  Too bad.

8 hours ago, Songhua said:

All those old foreigners who complained about it every year can now venture out without their raincoats and plastic bags.

April fools aside, we all get old one day. I was a gregarious soul in my youth, like a rat up a drainpipe when totty was on offer. 25 years ago, if I had a choice of 1) a weeks all expenses paid holiday in BKK or 2) the same week touring the UK in summer, no prizes for guessing which I would have chosen. At 60, not exactly old but getting there, I would take option 2 every day of the week. Songkran is fun for the younger generation, not so much when the years start to catch up.

Edited by freebyrd

8 hours ago, Songhua said:

All those old foreigners who complained about it every year can now venture out without their raincoats and plastic bags.

Wow so quick to disparage the "old folk" 

but one thing that does come with age is wisdom & knowledge to keep ones thoughts to ones self until all the facts are out..

maybe you should check todays date before posting any more !!

"One born every minute"

6 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

Another reason Unelected officials are bad for society  They will such tradition out of the fabric of society 

It's about time they acted on this so called fun,i can venture out.I can cancel my trip to Vietnam now.Every farang caught breaking the law should be lashed,jailed,fined and lashed again for good measure,then deported and blacklisted.We can't have these water terrorist spoiling Thailand's good name.

11 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Wow so quick to disparage the "old folk" 

but one thing that does come with age is wisdom & knowledge to keep ones thoughts to ones self until all the facts are out..

maybe you should check todays date before posting any more !!

"One born every minute"

:clap2:

56 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Good news for Brits who enjoy Songkran:

" contrary to popular belief that the Pound Sterling is converting to plastic notes for countering counterfeiting it has been announced that the real reason is to stop damage to notes during the up and coming "British Songkran ".
As Thailand are abolishing Songkran the British are taking up the challenge.
" British Songkran will take place on any day during the British rainy season ( 1st January to 31st December) and revellers are invited to simply set foot out of their front door, actually throwing water is not necessary, water will be provided by the British Meteorological Society "

Source: dodgyarticles.com

Who whould want to counterfeit the pound,it's next to worthless.

2 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/2016/04/01/1459483022/

Are you sure this is an April fools joke. Can you joke about the military Junta. Joke about article 44. Joke about Songkran which brings in so much tourism. Risk losing that tourism for a joke.

This can't be a joke. The newspapers reporting this would be closed down.

How many people leave the country because of Songkran.This is not a joke and law and order must prevail.

So which one is the April fool's post - this one or the one saying that alcohol will only be available in government-operated outlets after showing passports?

What's frightening is that both don't sound too unrealistic these days...

Finally,  a good story to report. Now, I can get out without any fear of getting wet and go to my local Ampur Government run liquor store and pick up all the spirits and beer I need for the holiday.  Can life get any better?   Cheers....

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

How many people leave the country because of Songkran.This is not a joke and law and order must prevail.

In the report a Junta spokesman is mentioned, Sansern Suvaree. But I can't find this name on other reports.

If joke or not, I bet TAT is not happy about it.

Edited by alocacoc

Can't blame them. Weeks ago the junta asked politely that high velocity water guns are not to be soled

All I see in 7/11 and countless markets and street vendors are just the opposite.

Greedy thais.. Nothing changes so this new law will be instant karma [emoji16]

Is this the original Thai article?

https://www.khaosod.co.th/breaking-news/news_273743

Google translator is lousy. But it says something, don't splash water. Beware our tradition and so on.

It's an interview with Mr. Payruth.

That's for sure not a joke. :)

Posted at 28. March.

14575343421457534393l-696x403.jpg

Does this guy look like he would do a 1st April joke? Rather not.

Edited by alocacoc

5 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

Can't blame them. Weeks ago the junta asked politely that high velocity water guns are not to be soled

All I see in 7/11 and countless markets and street vendors are just the opposite.

Greedy thais.. Nothing changes so this new law will be instant karma emoji16.png

You don't like Thais........?

Have the Guv sent mail to outlets as to what they can sell...?