Thailand to implement Alcohol sale stores following Scandinavian concept.

rooster59

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never have I wished so much that what I'm reading is just a prank :omfg:

Don't write it off.

How's this for a prank?
"all bangkok street vendors ordered off Sukhumvit ending years of corruption "

Except it actually happened!

The junta have ultimate power and anything is possible.

5 minutes ago, sloperating said:

You have to concede that TV has roped in an impressive number of type-now-think-later members.

We also have to concede there's an incredible number of members here with no sense of humour (particularly irony or sarcasm) whatsoever. One can only assume they're American.

Just now, whoareyou said:

Don't write it off.

How's this for a prank?
"all bangkok street vendors ordered off Sukhumvit ending years of corruption "

Except it actually happened!

The junta have ultimate power and anything is possible.

No beer.jpg

May even beat Sweden and their "Systembolaget" off their top position as the world's largest buyer of wine and spirits – and with one only outlet in each Ampur, I dare not to think of how many that will drive long distance, instead of just around the corner, to get more of the sacred water – however, even I don't bet, I'll try one, and only because it's today, that this will never ever progress in Thailand...:whistling:

Just now, khunPer said:

May even beat Sweden and their "Systembolaget" off their top position as the world's largest buyer of wine and spirits – and with one only outlet in each Ampur, I dare not to think of how many that will drive long distance, instead of just around the corner, to get more of the sacred water – however, even I don't bet, I'll try one, and only because it's today, that this will never ever progress in Thailand...:whistling:

As a Brit, one noticeable thing about Australia during my time there was that it seemed as though it wasn't possible to buy alcohol at the supermarket.:shock1:

While wine still seemed a good buy, spirits were very expensive, and beer not so cheap.

6 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Reminds me of Abu Dhabi.

I was thinking the same thing. You had to have (in theory anyway) an alcohol license and buy your booze in a couple of places hidden away in Al Ain when I was there.

Emirati would drive up to the front of the store, telephone their order in and an Indian sales clerk would carry it out to the car with the contents carefully packed in brown paper bags so "no one would know what they were buying."

Foreigners would walk in and quite a few announce they forgot to bring their license and be served anyway. 

What a brilliant idea! A central government shop in each ampur.

But why stop at selling only alcohol?

They should also be the central place to sell cigarettes, police protection, government contracts, army jobs, lucky numbers and somtam.

6 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Going after the private business sectors profits and ensuring the tax collection. Didn't they talk about state run grocery stores coming awhile back?
What's the political name for a society where the state operates all the enterprises like gas,electricity,water,transportation etc.?

(((Communism)))

P.S. I know it was a rhetorical, but some questions need to be answered.

1 minute ago, BobbyLambo said:

This has to be an April fools day joke. Yes?

Ya know what. I read the story and a few responses. Then I remembered the date and saw your post. I think you are correct. It has to be an April fools day joke. However, we would be neglectful if we didn't take into account that fools are running the damn country.

4 hours ago, sanukjim said:

The state of Utah had this type of alcohol control in the 1960s/70s.

4 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Alberta had this system in the 80's. Maybe still has..

They have the same "Thai education system" mentioned in an above post?

Reading some of the posts here the  "Thai education system" is definitely not the worst!

:shock1:

6 hours ago, Black arab said:

This should be implmented immeadiately .........today in fact

Here in Hat Yai some of those shops are being implemented already. They only sell booze and cigarettes but to very, very discounted prizes.

4 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Alberta had this system in the 80's. Maybe still has..

Ontario (Toronto greater area :smile: ) has this system as well.... and if operating properly it is good in some ways and bad in others.  We have the LCBO which is the seller only real seller of liquor and wine.... but also sells beer (more brands than are sold in the "Beer Store"s -- run jointly by the breweries....

The LCBO is fairly well run and gets to advertise that it is very profitable so why privatize (though that is misleading since they include the liquor taxes included as profits -- where-as a private store would not be able to be that misleading about financials).  It sells a much wider selection and a much cleaner system than I had available in Chicago....  and the markup (post taxes) is not that much -- since it is able to negotiate in prices in real volume (mom and pop stores would have less power).  It has a great international selection.

The downsides: 

I expect a government run store here would be less likely to have a diverse international selection -- since the government store would probably be more protectionist (just look at the government protection of brewery industry and not allowing small breweries to compete).

Big holidays in Ontario tend to be crazy at liquor stores with lines running out the stores and around the block.... 

Although more difficult now in Ontario.... I never had a problem buying alcohol when I was underage....  so that is not necessarily going to be better.  

The change will be a massive pain in the arse for most law abiding citizens as the store is likely not going to give them any upside.  7/11s I have been to abide by the law strictly....  There are other stores that do not.... but then if that is a problem why don't they get off there as*** and actually enforce the laws via a liquor law enforcement arm.... if you start testing and then revoking licenses for good from vendors that violate the law.... only an idiot is going to risk their license and business by doing so.

Maybe they'll couple these licensed shops with gambling dens... kill two birds with one stone so to speak

A happy zone shop where you can aquire both at the same time

I can just see the signage now

"liquor in the front & poker round the back"

Yes I do realise it's April fools day.. I'm having a laughtoo

Edited by hotchilli