61 year-old Dutch National Michael Eriksen Killed in Head on Collision in Udon Thani

rooster59

61 year-old Dutch National Michael Eriksen Killed in Head on Collision in Udon Thani

me2017.jpg

61 year-old Dutchman Michael Eriksen was killed when his car crashed head-on with another car in Udon Thani

UDON THANI – A 61 year-old Dutchman Michael Eriksen and Thai woman were killed, while four other people, including two children, were seriously injured when their two cars crashed head-on in Thung Fon district on Thursday night.

The fatal crash happened on Ban Dung-Nong Han Road in tambon Na Chumsaeng at Lhao Wicha village around 7.40pm, Thai media reported.

Police and rescue workers arrived to find the two wrecked vehicles still on the road – a Honda Civic sedan with Udon Thani licence plates and a Toyota Camry with Khon Kaen registration.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/61-year-old-dutch-national-michael-eriksen-killed-in-head-on-collision-in-udon-thani.html

changraitimes_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang Rai Times 2017-04-01

1 hour ago, lumbye said:

RIP

he is not dutch he is a Dane

That's NOT a Dutch name, indeed; also he has the look of a Scandinavian, rather than a Dutchman: I reckon Danish would fit much better.

33 minutes ago, starky said:

Im not throwing any RIPs up until more is heard. Without being a cynical prick who was more likely the drunk driver? The falang at 19:40 or the Thai bird with her 2 kids...

Actually the Thai lady was in the passenger seat. If it was the main road from Bang Dung to Nong Han via Nong Mek, and mention of Thung Fon suggests it was,  there really shouldn't have been a head on crash,.The road is wide in parts with no blind bends that I can think of.

Edited by bannork

RIP to both sides, without CCTV  or dashcams, no one will ever know the truth, head on collisions, one or the other had to be in the wrong lane..........:sad:  but that really doesn't matter now does it, unless blame needs to be proven.  Very unfortunate, some of the darkest country roads I have ever seen are up in Northern Thailand..

I will go with farang drunk on speculation only.
Have been staying in Pattaya for the last few weeks and in one particular very large bar I witnessed a number of loud and tipsy bordering on drunk farang.
. Several of them hopped on scooters parked directly in front and sped away to home
Says it all really

12 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

RIP to both sides, without CCTV  or dashcams, no one will ever know the truth, head on collisions, one or the other had to be in the wrong lane..........:sad:  but that really doesn't matter now does it, unless blame needs to be proven.  Very unfortunate, some of the darkest country roads I have ever seen are up in Northern Thailand..

I frequent a bar at Ban Dung and when I drive home at about 10pm, I can tell you once you leave Ban Dung and the lights disappear, it is freaky out there, dark as, and when you come up to the rear of a tractor with no tail lights all of a sudden, or a motorbike, its like what the fark, fortunately I do keep the speed limit to a sensible speed so that I do have time to react to the unexpected, which is more often than not.

RIP

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I frequent a bar at Ban Dung and when I drive home at about 10pm, I can tell you once you leave Ban Dung and the lights disappear, it is freaky out there, dark as, and when you come up to the rear of a tractor with no tail lights all of a sudden, or a motorbike, its like what the fark, fortunately I do keep the speed limit to a sensible speed so that I do have time to react to the unexpected, which is more often than not.

RIP

Very true, even though this is not a minor road. 

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Why wouldn't a country road be dark? Sorry, but I couldn't make sense of the comment.

2 hours ago, whoareyou said:

I will go with farang drunk on speculation only.
Have been staying in Pattaya for the last few weeks and in one particular very large bar I witnessed a number of loud and tipsy bordering on drunk farang.
. Several of them hopped on scooters parked directly in front and sped away to home
Says it all really

seems you havent been around Thailand  long enough to realize that thai drivers cut the corners on every country road because they have never been taught to drive and cant control their cars at speed, they have no idea how to corner and stay in their own lane/on their own side of the road, I see it every time we go anywhere. Trying to claim the farang was drunk  and caused it just because you drink and watch everyone else in the bar doesnt mean all the others do it, some of us have more brains than to let alcohol control what we do. Until there is evidence to say who caused it, its best to not put the blame on either.

Edited by seajae

8 hours ago, bannork said:

nd mention of Thung Fon suggests it was,  there really shouldn't have been a head on crash,.The road is wide in parts with no blind bends that I can think of.

Which suggests that one of the drivers fell asleep and drifted over, or maybe a sudden illness. . 

21 hours ago, jaapfries said:

That's NOT a Dutch name, indeed; also he has the look of a Scandinavian, rather than a Dutchman: I reckon Danish would fit much better.

There are lots of Dutch people with outlandish names who are born in the Netherlands from Dutch parents going back hundreds of years.

A prime example are the Dutch with French names from the French Hugenots.

I personally know a Dutchman with surname of Kristiansen, born and raised in the Netherlands.

seems you havent been around Thailand  long enough to realize that thai drivers cut the corners on every country road because they have never been taught to drive and cant control their cars at speed, they have no idea how to corner and stay in their own lane/on their own side of the road, I see it every time we go anywhere. Trying to claim the farang was drunk  and caused it just because you drink and watch everyone else in the bar doesnt mean all the others do it, some of us have more brains than to let alcohol control what we do. Until there is evidence to say who caused it, its best to not put the blame on either.

And definitely no police anywhere on the country roads or villages. Nor would most police enforce traffic violations anyways! So indeed it's a free for all, driving.

19 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Why wouldn't a country road be dark? Sorry, but I couldn't make sense of the comment.

sorry  shuda said "Up-Country roads"   that's what I meant - since you asked, I respond.:sleep: 

23 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

sorry  shuda said "Up-Country roads"   that's what I meant - since you asked, I respond.:sleep: 

I live  "up-country" and on roads without street lighting, most people use their headlights, although Thais seem to think that drains the battery.

Upcountry . The roads are even worse than the big cities. Yes, they seem to have good road surfaces and are wide in many places. However, with many large factories and night driving being the norm for 14 and 26 wheelers, driving vast distances without correct rest breaks, it is scary.

With regards to the accident, it is very sad to hear of these things as always. I think it is unfair to imply the foreigner is to blame just because it was early evening and one poster suggesting he may have been drink driving!

A bit silly with no evidence. He could just as easily been teetotal. The standard of driving by foreigners is usually much better as a rule, as driving exams in their own countries are much more thorough and in depth than Thailand.

It is a constant worry when I drive at night to see young guys speeding on motorbikes or even food/delivery tuk tuks with no lights and some even only use old CDs hanging down as rear reflectors. You cannot see them until you nearly run over them!

And I don't drink!

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Edited by Scouse123
spelling

On 4/1/2017 at 10:25 AM, bannork said:

The road is wide in parts with no blind bends that I can think of.

From the news article linked in the OP, "Witnesses told police the Dutchman's Camry was heading towards Nong Han district of this northeastern province, while the Honda, with five people on board, was travelling from Nong Han to Ban Dung, the two vehicles collided head-on at a curve."

Doesn't have to be a blind bend as someone else has noted, staying between the lines is an inherently difficult for drivers in Thailand regardless if they are drunk or sober.

I went to visit a friend in Bandung a few years back and on my way back around 9 PM, I was almost wiped out by a bus overtaking on the brow of a hill. It's not very safe in the daytime and night time driving on anything less than the major highways in Thailand is always going to be risky.