Pattaya police: Buckle up in both the front and back or face a fine

snoop1130

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Westerners, me included, complain about the lack of driving law enforcement in Thailand and the lack of driving skills of others in Thailand.

Yet when the law is enforced (whether or not it is perceived as a money making scheme) we still complain.

Would you break traffic laws in your own country and then when caught start complaining on social media?  I doubt it. 

Thailand has traffic laws like all countries. Obey them.

13 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I've often been a rear seat passenger in a Thai taxi and they don't even have the seatbelt accessible; does that mean the taxi driver is now responsible for the fine, in the interest of preventing accidents and increase the safety of their passenger.

The taxi not having a seat belt at the rear is an entrapment.

Looks like police department and taxi association are working together.

Edited by thairookie

3 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

But 15 people , riding to possible death, in the bed of a pick-up is still OK ?

Good point. ....(Unless seat belts have to be fitted there also).

Edited by dotpoom

13 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I've often been a rear seat passenger in a Thai taxi and they don't even have the seatbelt accessible; does that mean the taxi driver is now responsible for the fine, in the interest of preventing accidents and increase the safety of their passenger.

You joke, right? The police will remove the money from your wallet!! 

Seems to me that some posters on here have not been keeping up with the news, this law about wearing seat belts in the rear seats was announced a couple of weeks and applies to the WHOLE country.

Watch this ad from the UK on the effects of rear seat passengers not buckling up.

24 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Seems to me that some posters on here have not been keeping up with the news, this law about wearing seat belts in the rear seats was announced a couple of weeks and applies to the WHOLE country.

It was originally announced on 23 March by the assistant commissioner of the Royal Thai Police after the prime minister decided to invoke Section 44 to tackle traffic accidents. See this topic.

The PM used the power of Article 44 to order that the driver and all passengers travelling in vehicles must buckle up for safety. He even selfied himself sitting in the back seat of a car wearing a seatbelt. See this topic on 24 March.

4 hours ago, OmegaRacer said:

Come one, don't panic. We all know this was a face saving exercise, plus calling the 

Big wig general in question makes it just more credible, and maybe earns him a few points with the junta.

It'll all blow over in few days, guaranteed. 

Yes your post makes the most sense another flavor of the day move a rolling justice we will pick you and skip the next 100 and so on. They picked a foreigner to fine and kick off their highly publicized program. Another flame much to do about nothing move.  

Edited by elgordo38

This is another one of those Dangerfield, Carlin type posts. If it was delivered well, it could bring on some serious belly laughs. Imagine a Thai policeman citing someone for not wearing a seatbelt? What percentage of Thais wear seatbelt? On the highway, maybe 30%? Off the highway? Maybe 6%? Where would they start? That is if they were serious to begin with. When I am in a minivan, people look at me like I am a Martian when I put my seatbelt on. Do I care? Of course not. Means nothing. 

If there is one thing you can always count on here, it is that the police are never serious about anything that has anything to do with traffic safety. 

Front and back seat belts have always been part of my growing up, since living here in rural Thailand (2015) I haven't really been buckling up, suffice to say I have had it good for a while, after all its about saving lives isn't it, so I will not criticise something that is intended to save lives, for the good of the people, however I will reserve my judgement to see whether the police do what is normally expected of them to do in  foreign country, Thailand to catch up with the rest of the world.

Will also look forward to speed camera's & red light camera's being installed, along with mobile camera's out and about, and highway patrol cars with radars fixed to them, by then I will be too old to drive anyways. 

Edited by 4MyEgo

10 days ago me and my Thai lady friend took a sightseeing trip in Bangkok with a taxi. We sat in the back and as usual I would put on my seat belt, but the fastener missing. My lady friend mentioned this to the driver. He stopped at a gas station, lifted up the back seat and fixed seat belts.
What wonder me most was that after this she also took on the seatbelt something I had never seen her do before. Probably she and the driver had talked about the new law.

The full rules on this new law can be viewed in a well known English language newspaper that I'm not allowed to name.

Two notable points. Firstly eggers, this is nationwide. And secondly the new law does ban passengers in the in the bed of a pick-up. That could be interesting!

Actually, the police in Pattaya appear to have 'jumped the gun'. The new laws apply from 5th April.

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Another money making exercise,how many cars in Thailand have rear

seat belts fitted, and of cause the Police know this,will the fine be

per passenger. 

regards Worgeordie

I understand the Law to read "where seat-belts are available in any vehicle, they MUST be worn". 

Actually; I personally am all for this law reinforcement; seat-belts DO save lives !

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Another money making exercise,how many cars in Thailand have rear

seat belts fitted, and of cause the Police know this,will the fine be

per passenger. 

regards Worgeordie

The law would be exactly the same as your country and mine.Seatbelts must be worn in rear if fitted.