Timing belt - timing chain Honda City 2012 I-vtec

glegolo

Hi guys, I have had a rough time at the Honda dealership yesterday.here in isaan they do not talk nothing english at all.... So with my skills in the thai langauge, it is a map to disaster......

I have a question and I would love if anyone can find a correct answer which will help me enormously.

First of all I want to know if my car have a timing belt or a timing chain.  I know that it most probably have a timing belt because it is a relatively small engine....

But i was there at the dealership and with my google-result they didn´t know anything to tell me... Maybe I have the words wrong completely. So if anyone knows the correct words in thai, means that I can bring that with me, and maybe get some answers from them with help from my wife.....

I came up with this, but it sems that they didn´t understand that this was the timing belt, it was probably some other kind of chain or belt in that engine.... But see here what I did google;

timing belt (เข็มขัดเวลา - K̄hĕmk̄hạd welā)

timing chain (โซ่เวลา - Sò welā)

Can anyone help me... I am completely lost, and I really NEED to change this timing belt because the car has now gone 126.000 kilometers,,, so can not wait too long...

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

19 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Try  สายพานไทม์มิ่ง   sai-paan timing

link

Great,, but what is that belt or chain???? Do you have both names to give me, or do thai say the same thing for both???

Glegolo

Thank you Jaimaai, great jobb I am very grateful, and mind you, the belt was the most important cause I am firmly believing that this car have a belt and not a chain sad to say.

Glegolo

12 hours ago, shady86 said:

Most cars already using Chain. If you send to Honda for regular maintenance, they should replace it once it reached 100k km.

Ok you may be correct but it also depends on the make of car & which part of the world you are in 

EG: Have Toyota Vigo & i thought it would be 100k since it would be in my home country BUT here it is 150k

41 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

It's a Chain on yours.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

To all you guys here, thank you so much for all your efforts and help in this matter. I did really needed this help as I am so called helpless when it comes to motors and engones and such stuff, I am much better in handling the football....

I keep my fingers crossed that it is a chain not a belt.. Than I do not need to change anything

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

Ok you may be correct but it also depends on the make of car & which part of the world you are in 

EG: Have Toyota Vigo & i thought it would be 100k since it would be in my home country BUT here it is 150k

In UK it's 90,000 MILES, here 150,000 Km, same distance, for the belt change on a Vigo..

2 hours ago, glegolo said:

I keep my fingers crossed that it is a chain not a belt.. Than I do not need to change anything

If it is as you say a City i-vtec it is timing chain as Ace said.

Read you handbook.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

If it is as you say a City i-vtec it is timing chain as Ace said.

Read you handbook.

2-1 to the chain guys here.....

I am on your side as well,, due to that I do not have to change the chain....

Thanks..

Glegolo

Strangely enough thid thread did me a big favour. I've got a slightly older City which I bought second hand and I realised I had no idea if it had ever been done. I took it into Honda this morning and they confirmed that my City doesn't have a timing belt and that it's not necessary to do anything.

Is it 100% correct that there's no need to change a chain?

1 minute ago, JaiMaai said:

Not a routine maintenance procedure. So long as the tensioner is in good shape. And keep up with the oil changes for the engine - oil pressure usually governs tension. Lose oil pressure and the tension can slacken off, which makes the cam chain jump teeth, which can mean pistons hitting valves.

24 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Strangely enough thid thread did me a big favour. I've got a slightly older City which I bought second hand and I realised I had no idea if it had ever been done. I took it into Honda this morning and they confirmed that my City doesn't have a timing belt and that it's not necessary to do anything.

If they say so that is cool, cos most rides with chains do have a life span, though breakages are rare, stretch is not..Non tensioned you can hear the wear. Some tensioned chains have to be changed after a certain mileage, my V6 Volvo was one..

54 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah changed chain & tensioners on my UK Volvo when it was 20 years old. :laugh:

Now I am delving into my ol' gray cells here but I think the chainS had to be replaced at 140,000 MILES...:stoner:.....Well I did it at about 190,000 MILES....

1 hour ago, transam said:

Now I am delving into my ol' gray cells here but I think the chainS had to be replaced at 140,000 MILES...:stoner:.....Well I did it at about 190,000 MILES....

Can't remember mileage because it was a chain l left it until it was noisy, the wife at the time who drove it mostly said what are you changing that for. :laugh:

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Can't remember mileage because it was a chain l left it until it was noisy, the wife at the time who drove it mostly said what are you changing that for. :laugh:

Thought you were going to say she made more noise than the chain.....:stoner:

I was just back from meeting a mecanic-guy here in Chaiyaphum, a friend to our family. He looked and in about 22 seconds he said without any doubts... "It is a chain" you have a "Soo ti ming"...

So for me big relief, dont have to pay 6,000 baht to change the belt... So all good. Thank you again all of you guys... Great to have you here..

Glegolo

Apparently the timing belts are much better than they were years ago. I bought a new Chrysler K car shortly after they came out. Of course just after the warranty expired, the belt broke. The engine was a basket case and needed to be replaced.

Since then I have avoided any engine with a belt. I was enthused when the new Toyota Revo came out with a timing chain. I dealt on a new one but couldn't get together with the moron salesman. I ended up with an Isuzu. I have never heard of a chain breaking.

2 minutes ago, Gary A said:

Apparently the timing belts are much better than they were years ago. I bought a new Chrysler K car shortly after they came out. Of course just after the warranty expired, the belt broke. The engine was a basket case and needed to be replaced.

Since then I have avoided any engine with a belt. I was enthused when the new Toyota Revo came out with a timing chain. I dealt on a new one but couldn't get together with the moron salesman. I ended up with an Isuzu. I have never heard of a chain breaking.

Nor me but I have dealt with teeth sheared off the big sprocket on a Ford.....:sad: