Five Nos for Songkran revellers

rooster59

70_Songkran.jpg

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will impose “Five Nos” for revelers during the Songkran festival plus no entertainment activities.

The Five Nos are: no huge water guns; no alcoholic drinks; no powder; no over-exposure dress and no excessive use of water.

On top of that, there will be no entertainment activities during the festival. This means that loud music and dancing on the back of pickup trucks will be prohibited.

BMA has designated zones for celebration in 50 districts and sought cooperation from members of the public to celebrate the water splashing event within the designated zones.

No celebration will be staged around Sanam Luang and the Grand Palace as authorities concerned will have to take care of mourners who want to pay respect to the late King Bhumibol.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/five-nos-songkran-revellers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-08

44 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

They must be talking about some other place here because.....

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

One of the most endearing characteristics of Thai people is their desire to be unfailingly polite.

Yeah...like that is going to happen! And by the way: I don't mind any of the "No's"! Enforce existing laws and stop telling adults, how to behave! Fools!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Five Nos are: no huge water guns; no alcoholic drinks; no powder; no over-exposure dress and no excessive use of water.

On top of that, there will be no entertainment activities during the festival. This means that loud music and dancing on the back of pickup trucks will be prohibited.

So everything that is Songkran is banned. Said it before and I'll say it again. This country is run by idiots. Have fun in the LOS. Nothing bigger than this please.:cheesy:

81006-9-stream-machine-csg-x0-water-gun-3-inches-2.jpg

Edited by dinsdale

Only outside of specified zones, should be there be no-nos: No water to be thrown or fired at ANY vehicle (a truly massive fine for this) -- obviously this would mean no pickups with 44 gallon drums on the back; children under 12 banned from roadside revelry (outside the zone or home) -- too many dashing into the paths of vehicles; revellers must exit vehicle before joining roadside battles (driver banned as he/she must stay dry for safety reasons); elders must enforce a rule to respect the right of people not to have their clothes doused. 

I'm sitting on the toilet writing this waste of space -- it helps pass the time.

Every year I leave Thailand for a couple of weeks covering Songkran to avoid the 10 days of mayhem and stupidity in Pattaya. I am ALMOST tempted to stay this year, to watch the pitiful and undoubtedly futile efforts to make any of this pile of tosh a reality.

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

They seem intent on killing off the things that make Thailand interesting  and often fun and I am not just talking of this particular instance by the BMA.

Yeah,

The sense of fun in Thailand has dwindled somewhat. Where I live,  there is only one music station on the radio . Thank God for BBC IPlayer Radio App.

29 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Every year I leave Thailand for a couple of weeks covering Songkran to avoid the 10 days of mayhem and stupidity in Pattaya. I am ALMOST tempted to stay this year, to watch the pitiful and undoubtedly futile efforts to make any of this pile of tosh a reality.

Take a cut lunch and a Comfort 100 and don't venture outside your car.

11 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Take a cut lunch and a Comfort 100 and don't venture outside your car.

Happy to see someone else is still getting good use out of their "comfort 100" thought I was alone !  :shock1:

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

So everything that is Songkran is banned. Said it before and I'll say it again. This country is run by idiots. Have fun in the LOS. Nothing bigger than this please.:cheesy:

81006-9-stream-machine-csg-x0-water-gun-3-inches-2.jpg

It would be quite interesting to find out how many Thais actually like Songkran .

Many Thais do not like it and they stay indoors for the duration .

Many Children do enjoy Songran, as do the Thais who never left Childhood

4 hours ago, DM07 said:

Yeah...like that is going to happen! And by the way: I don't mind any of the "No's"! Enforce existing laws and stop telling adults, how to behave! Fools!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

There it is! Right on!!!

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

It would be quite interesting to find out how many Thais actually like Songkran .

Many Thais do not like it and they stay indoors for the duration .

Many Children do enjoy Songran, as do the Thais who never left Childhood

I went to Silom the last three years and it's mostly Thais of all ages there maybe about 15/20% foreigners. 

The fun is really draining out of Thailand. I heard a couple reports of many taxis being pulled over and many many passengers having to piss into a bag and then have their urine drug tested right there on the side of the road and also have their pockets and socks etc searched. Happened to a couple of my friends last night but they were luckily just a little drunk.  If you refused they said you had to go to the station. 

Imagine coming here for a Songkran holiday and having this happen to you? 

Its complete BS and has to stop. I just would not do it and go to the station I guess.  

12 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I went to Silom the last three years and it's mostly Thais of all ages there maybe about 15/20% foreigners. 

Yes, Thais do participate , but there are many who do not .

IMO, people should not be forced to stop the water fights, but, also, people should not be forced to join in with them

Found in a raid by police in Pathum Thani. Believed to belong to Ko Tee the infamous red shirt leader. The high powered water pistols included a dangerous Hello Kitty model in blue.

20120414-CoL-0336-XL.jpg

Notice her shirt, and the colour of the table cover. What more proof could you need ?

Mind you they're getting more cunning, they no longer leave their party membership cards with the stache...

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Here is number 6 have respect for older people and do not drown them. Look for like minded targets before pulling the trigger. Just rename number 6 as use common sense.

1 minute ago, Pattaya28 said:

define excessive use of water

define big guns

who will see rules are not broken 

who will police no loud music + define what is loud

only thing I predict for sure is there will be "big mis-understandings"

What a joke. For years the big gun ban has been on in Pattaya and for years have watched the BIB going around and fining, confiscating for using them and then going down the street and selling them to someone else. Then half hour later there buddies follow and do the same over again. Cash grab

Something is fun only when everyone agrees it is fun. It is not fun for some people to be accosted while they are walking and express that they do not want to participate. Until everyone who is throwing water abides by this simple rule of decorum- Songkran is not fun at all. It shows exactly as a people how selfish some people have become.