Officer on leave after dragging United Airlines passenger off plane

webfact

3 minutes ago, Flustered said:

To reiterate....

The flight was not overbooked. The ground crew at United were approached after boarding by 4 air crew who needed to be in St Louis on Monday for another flight.

The passenger had boarded and taken his seat. he was not denied boarding but was forcibly ejected from the plane to allow the air crew the seat.

None of this will ever make the courts. United will settle out of court with the passenger as well as the now reported other passengers who are threatening law suits for trauma caused by United's actions.

A total PR disaster for United that will cost them $ millions when this could have been resolved for a few $ thousand . They could have charted a small plane for the air crew at a fraction of the cost this settlement will cost them.

The security guy (Policeman?) has been suspended which will further weaken United's case as he is acting on their behalf.

I see several resignations in the near future.

good…and maybe the pissed off shareholders will vote to remove the ceo as well….mealy mouthed jerk….we had to re=accommodate a passenger…yeah right.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

Then they did not take the dollar value high enough.  When this guy is done with them in court they will fully appreciate what their penny pinching cost them.

I shouldn't think an airline is legally or morally obliged to offer out-of-proportion compensations, or else passengers will start holding an airline to ransom in such cases, simply by childishly refusing to get off.

The amount offered seems more than fair to me - I would have taken it, especially I'd been randomly selected to get off.

This chap should simply have got off and quit whining. When he refused to budge, security was obviously told to remove the man. When he still refused to budge - well, you don't mess with security in the US - they physically ejected him. Quite right.

The social justice warriors have latched onto the case and are screaming outrage as usual, calling for law cases and sackings. They need objectivity and perspective.

3 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

I shouldn't think an airline is legally or morally obliged to offer out-of-proportion compensations, or else passengers will start holding an airline to ransom in such cases, simply by childishly refusing to get off.

The amount offered seems more than fair to me - I would have taken it, especially I'd been randomly selected to get off.

This chap should simply have got off and quit whining. When he refused to budge, security was obviously told to remove the man. When he still refused to budge - well, you don't mess with security in the US - they physically ejected him. Quite right.

The social justice warriors have latched onto the case and are screaming outrage as usual, calling for law cases and sackings. They need objectivity and perspective.

And the US wants to regularly criticize other countries for lack of respect for human rights!

And the US wants to regularly criticize other countries for lack of respect for human rights!

The airline booking in staff are at fault, the last 4 should have been told the flight was overbooked, and they were the ones who should have been found another flight.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

Just now, ddavidovsky said:

I think what really bothers people is that when push comes to shove we have few if any rights whatsoever, particularly where the interests of big business is concerned.

Yes, they do have the right to deny service to anyone for any reason.

Yes, once informed the officers have to remove the passenger.

Nevertheless, the airline is charged with certain responsibilities.  Personally,  I would be seeking to find a way of rescinding licences. Obviously, it goes without saying they are charged with ensuring the safety of flyers.  That requires competence- something they clearly lack. 

The police officer similarly has to act within limits.  If found guilty of excessive force, he must lose his job imo.  Some sympathies here as he was clearly thrown a curved ball.  Nevertheless he like to play his ball 'hard' doesn't he?  There can be no complaints.  I'm sure it was incompetence again, but he acted like a hired thug.  Perhaps he will act better in his next career.

We need to remember that whenever we travel by air, we automatically give up all human rights.

No rights for legroom, service, decent food or dignity, and anybody can rummage in your luggage and demand that you remove clothing.

17 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

The other thing is he didn't want money, and wasn't holding anyone to ransom.

And I'm not sure money was offered as I think it was vouchers.

As for acting childishly: yes, that's how people react when treated like a piece of you know what!

1 hour ago, kkerry said:

Oh dear, this is big time on main stream media.....  United CEO has got to be shrinking in his big leather swivel chair.  He issued a full-throated "statement of support" to his troops at first, but suspect he'll be pulling a U-turn faster than PM Prayuth did on pick ups and seat belts.

https://twitter.com/Tyler_Bridges/status/851228695360663552/video/1  A Twitter video of the man after he ran back on the plane. If he is not drunk he is as rational as the geeky Ophthalmologist in Damascus. Probably should not be allowed by family to travel alone and certainly not a practicing Doctor. Sad, but can hardly blame the Airline. The problem is police brutality this man needs a compassionate intervention by Psychiatric  care nurses  not a beatdown.

Edited by Dipterocarp

24 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

I would normally agree with the general (very general) sentiment but, in this case, no.  This one tips the other way IMO.  

Even with the above post's video showing the guy scampering along and blabbering that he has to go home.  Perhaps moreso BECAUSE of that.  At any rate, he was just roughed up and dragged, like a field stripped deer carcass, off the plane.  Whatever marbles he had up there got scrambled.  Physical abuse, especially if you're not accustomed to it, effects people differently but universally, it DOES effect them and makes them do all sorts of weird shit in Fight of Flight mode. 

That aside, to me and maybe a few others on here, this is more than some guy getting dragged off a plane.  This is representative of something bigger and more sinister.  A shifting paradigm.

6 hours ago, car720 said:

I want to say something about the difference between a law enforcer and a peace keeper but I just don't know how to say it anymore.  What a wonderful world we live in today.  Who was it that said, "Greed is good"?

United?   :cheesy: 

Maybe we never knew that Gordon Gekko was/had been their CEO? :whistling:

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

That aside, to me and maybe a few others on here, this is more than some guy getting dragged off a plane.  This is representative of something bigger and more sinister.  A shifting paradigm.

There certainly is. Everything gets into the media and everyone is getting more sensitive, and SJWs have crept out of the woodwork to rant about every little thing - that's what's changed.

I remember years ago seeing a guy forcibly ejected in similar fashion from Washington DC bus station. I assure you that wasn't even mentioned in the local papers. See what I mean about perspective?

Just now, ddavidovsky said:

There certainly is. Everything gets into the media and everyone is getting more sensitive, and SJWs have crept out of the woodwork to rant about every little thing - that's what's changed.

I remember years ago seeing a guy forcibly ejected in similar fashion from Washington DC bus station. I assure you that wasn't even mentioned in the local papers. See what I mean about perspective?

Indeed.  Especially way over here, getting a concentration of selected "news worthy" items fed  via internet cable plugged into my arse.  One would think the whole world is about to implode.

I'm aware of that trap.  Considered it before thinking outside the box.

Wow, even the former CEO is getting in on doubling down.  He boils it right down rather matter-of-factly.  There are limited seats and somebody has to leave.  And this passenger handled being removed from the flight in an immature way.   "Acting like a child".

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/10/united-is-being-immature-former-continental-ceo-gordon-bethune-says.html

Not a hint of acknowledgement that it's United (and all the rest as well) that CREATE this situation day in day out.  The fact that the flying public has been conditioned their willful practice and that the public "usually" handles being denied boarding with aplomb, is very telling of their true attitude.  It's our fault.  Not theirs.   Talk about childish!  Not to mention callous, cavalier and WAY out of touch with reality.

Shytown aviation thug who pulled the guy out... on leave pending investigation. An investigation with a predictable outcome being they stated publicly that the event was not handled IAW their policies and guidelines.

Next up:  The United station manager who thought $800 was high enough, screw these arse holes, call in the thugs and try to intimidate this idiot passenger off the plane. 

CEO:  He made his bed early on and doubled down.  No sympathy for whatever the board my do to him a few weeks or months from now.

I would not have wanted to be the United employee who wound up sitting in this seat, for which all this was done so he or she could go to work.

Edited by 55Jay

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

I would normally agree with the general (very general) sentiment but, in this case, no.  This one tips the other way IMO.  

Even with the above post's video showing the guy scampering along and blabbering that he has to go home.  Perhaps moreso BECAUSE of that.  At any rate, he was just roughed up and dragged, like a field stripped deer carcass, off the plane.  Whatever marbles he had up there got scrambled.  Physical abuse, especially if you're not accustomed to it, effects people differently but universally, it DOES effect them and makes them do all sorts of weird shit in Fight of Flight mode. 

I was thinking much the same, though you express it more eloquently.

1. Wafer thin rights that do not stand the test.

2  Co-operation assumed or you are deemed to be difficult/unco-operative.

3. Expected to give up something of value in return for dubious financial inducements.

4. And I think business and elite customers were exempted from the lottery.

5. 'Newspeak' explanations.

6.  Business and efficiency trumps human values.

Any parallels with your life here?

7 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

This says more about society nowadays. Everyone has such a highly-strung sense of entitlement and readiness to take offence that they can't tolerate the slightest inconvenience - even when offered adequate compensation. What is wrong with them? I would have just shrugged and got off.

How about the expectation that as a paying customer, whose paid and completed a contract, that UA actually provides customer service?

How can paying for something be construed as "entitlement"? How can not being forcibly removed and assaulted by some mindless moron be construed as "entitlement"?

US airlines have a habit of overbooking way more than other countries IME and regularly have to bribe people to miss flights. Well it's not always convenient to do. But to forcibly remove someone, in a very nasty way causing actual bodily arm, distress, and humiliation, all of which I hope his lawyers noticed, is disgusting.

Most Americans I know are hot on customer service and quality and readily bring lack of either to the attention of suppliers. I trust many will now boycott UA and hurt them where it hurts. At least they'll then have plenty of space for their crews.

If I were the Asian guy I would sue United Airlines up their axxx .   They can afford it .  1 million , nothing less , the man has been damaged for life.

Only once have I been made aware my flight was over-booked. 

I was offered money and a hotel to take the following days flight. I can't remember the amount, but I refused. 

This was before Check-In... 

So.. IF they knew this flight was overbooked before boarding - how did this guy get on the flight ?

IF they only found out that the flight was overbooked after boarding, my question is <deleted> is the airline playing at !!!

Handled extremely poorly...  This may cost United in a law suit, it will cost them in revenue. I'll avoid them like I avoid budget carriers. 

2 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

If the only solution the airport policeman (wearing causal plain clothes) thought  to the situation was to reach across a seat and drag a 69 year old man physically out of his seat and drag him down the aisle in full view of some 70 other passengers, the policeman has no business being in law enforcement.   This is the exact same attitude that gets unarmed people shot (I note that the Chicago airport police are not allowed to be armed). 

The most obvious way to me would be to rather then make the passenger a martyr to airline incompetence and police brutality would be to make it understood to other passengers the plane was going nowhere until he got up. It would not have taken long for the other passengers to turn on him and demand he leave. At that point, dragging him out would have been applauded.  But unfortunately,  there is a certain percentage of police in the US whose first reaction is always to violence.

Having spent a very small bit of time in law enforcement I can tell you there are some that look forward to exactly theses situations and live for the adrenaline rush they get from acting out their aggressions . 

TH  

I posted a link earlier to a fuller account, because of this incident the flight was delayed for 3 hours after people walked off the flight in support of the victim. It started when a teacher with pupils took them off the flight. Imagine the compensation having to be paid out just for the delay to all passengers now without  what the victim will receive.

Saying $800 dollars is fair compensation is ball locks, no cash was offered only vouchers. If cash had been offered there would have been a queue to leave the flight. This was a civil/contractual problem that should have been resolved without someone being strong-armed off a plane for refusing to leave their seat. Also the passengers being told to leave for overbooking (this was not overbooking) must be presented with a written (typed) document advising them of their compensation options in case of overbooking which it was not. This is why people avoid transiting through the US because of the overblown security.