Van owner fined 20,000 baht for too many passengers on first day law goes into effect

webfact

Van owner fined 20,000 baht for too many passengers on first day law goes into effect

By Coconuts Bangkok 

van.jpg

Photo: Thai PBS

BANGKOK: -- The new rule just went into effect but already, the owner and operator of a passenger van were fined for carrying too many passengers on Monday.

The new law states that only 13 passengers can ride at any one time, but on this particular van — which still had 17 seats despite the section of the new law stating the seats for passengers exceeding 13 must be removed —  there were even passengers standing up.

Driver Prajit Suwannasaeng, 55, had to pay a THB5,000 fine and had his license suspended for 15 days.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/van-owner-fined-20000-baht-for-too-many-passengers-on-first-day-law-goes-into-effect/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-04-12

8 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

Did he get fined 20K baht or 5K baht?

Edit - 

Hang on. It was a 25K baht total fine.

LOH....Land of Headlines.

Headline is perfectly correct. There were 2 separate fines, one for the van owner & one for the driver.

“Driver Prajit Suwannasaeng, 55, had to pay a THB5,000 fineThe company that owns the van, Maha Phram Co, was fined THB20,000…”

OK. Headlines and Photo Op accomplished to make it look as though they are actually doing something to solve the problem. Time to go back to business as usual.

I hope that we will hear of hundreds more getting slapped equally hard. These people have been endangering peoples lives for far too long.

If they had been capable of self regulation, they wouldn't be in this position. long overdue.

Yes very good news but before I start singing and dancing with joy, I would have hoped that the BIB could have come up with more than just one van and driver who had not followed the new ruling. I suspect like the enforcement of motorbikes on the pavements or on the wrong side of the road will last for a day or so and back to normal, as it was with that supposedly crackdown.

If they pass this law in Laos I and likely most of the people may have to give up driving! On an empty stomach one Beerlao would probably put you over the limit at that level. 

I came to Hua Him to get away from the gong show that Vientiane will be this week.

Wrong thread LOL.  I meant this for the lowered B.A.C. level.

However, this overcrowding of vehicles was the reason I sold my Vigo and bought a Picanto. 

Edited by Cereal
Answered wrong thread.

51 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

So what happened to the excess people on the van. Were they forcibly removed in the same way as a customer on United Airlines? And since the driver was suspended from driving for 15 days, were they all left abandoned at the police checkpoint?

In other words your expecting much better reporting, dream on, even after much touted media reform, including just recently, reporting seems to be getting worse rather than better.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes very good news but before I start singing and dancing with joy, I would have hoped that the BIB could have come up with more than just one van and driver who had not followed the new ruling. I suspect like the enforcement of motorbikes on the pavements or on the wrong side of the road will last for a day or so and back to normal, as it was with that supposedly crackdown.

The BIB only tackled this one because someone posted it on the internet. Otherwise it would have been business as usual with no-one caught by the blind enforcement officers. Social media = no hiding place anymore. And = the BIB actually having to work now and then, after someone else has sought out the lawbreakers. Far too hard for the BIB to do that. The public has now become the police force finding the lawbreakers, with the actual police only doing the paperwork.

Wow he really got slammed didn't he? People standing up? In a minibus? Wait a 15 day suspension of license, that's really severe. I expect he was allowed to travel along on his way though with the standing passengers.

Totally ignoring a new law, like it doesn't apply to him.Complete ignorance of a guy that probably got his 1000 baht note out to pay for the shake down.

Shocked as $#it when whacked for the 25k.

Absolute disbelief when he realised that the e law is actually being enforced.

What a pleb,

Law and order as it relates to traffic safety is a good thing. Nothing like a good old deterrent to keep the boys in line! 

The big question is the same one that always relates to anything this administration does. Will there be follow up? Will this continue? Will anyone take charge, and make sure the law is applied in any sort of consistent fashion? If so, that would be a good thing. But, I do not expect it. Not with these guys. 

They are not scum.  Glad they made an example.  Punishment should create some compliance.   But what will happen to fares?  If he had like 17  plus some standers paying rather than 13?  Hmmm.    Hope the cops don't let up.   Continuous risk of being caught is needed.   They should have required some permit and inspection after the seats were removed

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The BIB only tackled this one because someone posted it on the internet. Otherwise it would have been business as usual with no-one caught by the blind enforcement officers. Social media = no hiding place anymore. And = the BIB actually having to work now and then, after someone else has sought out the lawbreakers. Far too hard for the BIB to do that. The public has now become the police force finding the lawbreakers, with the actual police only doing the paperwork.

I stand by my quote that the internet will be the gift and the curse to Thailand

They Loooove staring at mobiles and playing facebook //BUT the internet is worldwide

and it goes viral and the internet never forgets--they can no longer keep a lid on it...tick tock :wai:

hope this guy is not the only one to be punished in this way by the so called law

this is a two way thing... passengers also must be aware if you are going to be number 14 then

you are also breaking the law and should also be punished.

19 hours ago, Valentine said:

Headline is perfectly correct. There were 2 separate fines, one for the van owner & one for the driver.

"Transport Company Fined 20,000 Baht. Driver Fined 5,000 Baht for Violating The Law"