if refused entry

Technically, you do have right of appeal. You will be held in detention (which I believe you also need to pay for) while your appeal is considered. As @edwardandtubs intimated, you would need a pretty compelling reason (perhaps, family in Thailand) before you would go ahead. If the appeal fails, I would say you have made your chances of entering later a great deal worse.

• Like 2

What I would like to know is who is the appeal held before, what is the process and does anyone have any experience i.e. is there anyone who can say that they have been through the process and the appeal ruling found in their favour (and as such they were allowed to enter the country where previously they had been refused).  I really more info is required on just what is involved to know whether this is something one should seriously consider pursuing or otherwise if they are refused entry.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mstevens said:

What I would like to know is who is the appeal held before, what is the process and does anyone have any experience i.e. is there anyone who can say that they have been through the process and the appeal ruling found in their favour (and as such they were allowed to enter the country where previously they had been refused).  I really more info is required on just what is involved to know whether this is something one should seriously consider pursuing or otherwise if they are refused entry.

The Immigration Act specifies that the appeal is made to the Minister (presumably in writing) within 48 hours of the time the "alien" is informed in writing that they are denied entry. There is a fee to be paid when submitting the appeal. Your deportation is stayed while the appeal proceeds. You can expect to be held at the airport while your appeal is considered. If the Minister does not confirm the denial of entry within 7 days, it is assumed that you are free to enter.

In practice, appeals are extremely rare, and I doubt anyone here can give you a reliable assessment on the chances of success.

• Like 2

Sounds like you already have a possible problem and are trying to get around this system. Sort out before you come, even if  you won an appeal your life at immigration in the future would be very difficult, they do not forget or forgive wrongdoers easily.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Sounds like you already have a possible problem and are trying to get around this system. Sort out before you come, even if  you won an appeal your life at immigration in the future would be very difficult, they do not forget or forgive wrongdoers easily.

there's nothing wrong to appeal if you think they have been unfair to you. In fact it's a good thing to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

If your appeal is allowed you are not a "wrongdoer".

The process is long, boring, expensive (you pay for food etc) and not certain.

Would you have the necessary supporting documents for the appeal?

• Like 1

While not an "appealing" option from my POV, it would be tempting, in the case of an IO who was clearly in the wrong.  I am thinking of cases where they claim the alien "had insufficient funds" after they showed said funds or were not asked to show them, then were told by the next IO, "Sorry, it's too late, nothing can be done now."  Well, something can be done, and this is it.  Because no one wants to endure the process (understandably - I am not volunteering to do so), is precisely why the incorrect-rejections for entry continue.

OTOH, do you get to send in an attorney, briefs, etc?  Is there a formal hearing where you can make your case?  Is there a written review/explanation for a denial of the appeal based on evidence? 

And, as others have noted, you may be listed as a "troublemaker" for life, thereafter - so it might be the last time you ever wanted to visit. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I am thinking of cases where they claim the alien "had insufficient funds" after they showed said funds or were not asked to show them, then were told by the next IO, "Sorry, it's too late, nothing can be done now." 

"I am thinking of cases ..."

Pretty sure you mean that you're imagining things and even supplying mythical dialogue in an attempt to make it sound real.

13 hours ago, AndrewStannard said:

if refused entry at Bkk airport do you have right of appeal

Assuming you haven't actually been refused entry (in possession of a visa or attempting a visa exempt entry), I wonder why you would be worried about being refused.

• Like 1