Mercedes Benc GLC - tyre skipping

4 hours ago, frankphuket said:

Have a GLC 250d here and can't report any issues, but only 2000KM on it, so just a few U-turns here and there. Very nice car though....except the annoying European feature that you always have to switch the circle air inside on again after a while driving....

Could that be a safety feature to avoid excessive CO2 build up in the car?

Since cars are so airtight now, even at speed, CO2 will build up to 5,000 ppm after about 10 minutes with 2 occupants in the car.

BMW have a feature where the re-circulation valve only partially close to 70% at standstill and about 90% as you gain speed.

I would have thought MB was smarter.

NB: 5,000 ppm CO2 is the upper limit for a normal 8 hours work environment. 

12 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Could that be a safety feature to avoid excessive CO2 build up in the car?

Since cars are so airtight now, even at speed, CO2 will build up to 5,000 ppm after about 10 minutes with 2 occupants in the car.

BMW have a feature where the re-circulation valve only partially close to 70% at standstill and about 90% as you gain speed.

I would have thought MB was smarter.

NB: 5,000 ppm CO2 is the upper limit for a normal 8 hours work environment. 

Are you suggesting Benz drivers are full of hot air?

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:29 AM, Jitar said:

I reckon the GLA is more hatchback than SUV.  The back seats are ok for small kids or very small adults but that's about it. 

Had 2 large farangs in the back of my GLA many times and no problem, in fact they have commented on the comfort. 3 is a squeeze as the middle seat is a bit narrow but fine for children

Having said that is there such a huge difference between a small SUV and a larger hatchback so maybe we are splitting hairs?

re the topic I am not sure what tyre skipping is. I would be very happy to upgrade from the GLA to the GLC if I could afford it

On 4/21/2017 at 8:05 AM, frankphuket said:

Have a GLC 250d here and can't report any issues, but only 2000KM on it, so just a few U-turns here and there. Very nice car though....except the annoying European feature that you always have to switch the circle air inside on again after a while driving....

Hi Frank, thank for the info, useful. 

Namlakhorn

On 4/22/2017 at 7:11 AM, Scotssing said:

Had 2 large farangs in the back of my GLA many times and no problem, in fact they have commented on the comfort. 3 is a squeeze as the middle seat is a bit narrow but fine for children

Having said that is there such a huge difference between a small SUV and a larger hatchback so maybe we are splitting hairs?

re the topic I am not sure what tyre skipping is. I would be very happy to upgrade from the GLA to the GLC if I could afford it

Hi scotssing

great post, appreciate the feedback about your GLA and space at back seat. 

Now, reason to me for considering the GLC is also the bigger boot capacity over the GLA, which will come handy when traveling upcountry with children stroller,

luggage and stuff for a family of 4. 

Price difference between GLA and GLC is not so much the issue.

My wife is concerned about parking and small sois and thus prefers a smaller car( she will be driven it mostly), and I am thinking we need a car to cover all our needs (monthly upcountry journeys), and I don't mind a "bigger" sized car than the GLA.

Guess a test drive of both GLA and GLC  is next step. 

What dealer did you buy your GLA and can you recommend that one or another one? 

Thank you for any feedback

Namlakhorn

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:21 AM, namlakhorn said:

Hi scotssing

great post, appreciate the feedback about your GLA and space at back seat. 

Now, reason to me for considering the GLC is also the bigger boot capacity over the GLA, which will come handy when traveling upcountry with children stroller,

luggage and stuff for a family of 4. 

Price difference between GLA and GLC is not so much the issue.

My wife is concerned about parking and small sois and thus prefers a smaller car( she will be driven it mostly), and I am thinking we need a car to cover all our needs (monthly upcountry journeys), and I don't mind a "bigger" sized car than the GLA.

Guess a test drive of both GLA and GLC  is next step. 

What dealer did you buy your GLA and can you recommend that one or another one? 

Thank you for any feedback

Namlakhorn

I got my GLA from the local Mercedes dealer and apart from a few language difficulties there was no real problem. They are obviously used to dealing with Thai customers rather then Farangs but we got everything worked out. (E.g. I wanted to get rid of the red plates quickly so as to drive all round Thailand with no hastle whereas most Thais like to keep them as long as possible). There is a discussion on another thread about using the grey market but personally I am happier using the official network.

If price is not an issue I would go for the GLC. It is more spacious and a tad more luxurious/better spec. Another poster has commented that it is 4wd although you rarely actually need that. It also just looks so damned good.  When I change my GLA in a year or two I will certainly consider the  GLC or the BMW X3 which is due for a revamp in the next year. Sadly the bankbook will probably be the decider

21 hours ago, Scotssing said:

I got my GLA from the local Mercedes dealer and apart from a few language difficulties there was no real problem. They are obviously used to dealing with Thai customers rather then Farangs but we got everything worked out. (E.g. I wanted to get rid of the red plates quickly so as to drive all round Thailand with no hastle whereas most Thais like to keep them as long as possible). There is a discussion on another thread about using the grey market but personally I am happier using the official network.

If price is not an issue I would go for the GLC. It is more spacious and a tad more luxurious/better spec. Another poster has commented that it is 4wd although you rarely actually need that. It also just looks so damned good.  When I change my GLA in a year or two I will certainly consider the  GLC or the BMW X3 which is due for a revamp in the next year. Sadly the bankbook will probably be the decider

Hello Scotssing, Thank you for the coming back to me.

In Europe you can add lots of extra equipment by your own choice - their country website has a configurator section where the different Extra options available for for specific model (I.e GLA) are  described and priced. But for the MB Thailand website the configurator only works for the S class and one other which I can't remember now. 

Is it possible to add options for GLA when buying at MB dealer in Thailand, so it come delivered with the chosen options from the assembly plant in Thailand?

If yes, do you by any chance has a price list of the options available from official Thai dealer with assembly in Thailand?

Beat regards

Namlakhorn

3 hours ago, namlakhorn said:

Hello Scotssing, Thank you for the coming back to me.

In Europe you can add lots of extra equipment by your own choice - their country website has a configurator section where the different Extra options available for for specific model (I.e GLA) are  described and priced. But for the MB Thailand website the configurator only works for the S class and one other which I can't remember now. 

Is it possible to add options for GLA when buying at MB dealer in Thailand, so it come delivered with the chosen options from the assembly plant in Thailand?

If yes, do you by any chance has a price list of the options available from official Thai dealer with assembly in Thailand?

Beat regards

Namlakhorn

No you get the package Mercedes thinks is good for you. Having said that there are 2 versions of the GLA and 2 of the GLC with different configurations. Furthermore the package that Mercedes gives you in the basic price includes a no of options for which you would pay extra in Europe. You don't get an absolutely bespoke car but the off the peg version has quite a no of bells and whistles. For further info look at their Thai website which is in English language and you can download the spec sheet under the brochure option. The English follows the Thai

I realised this morning what I didn't like about the GLC compared to the GLA and that is the engine options are diesel whereas the GLA is petrol. I find the petrol engine so quiet and smooth that I give a lot of pedestrians a shock as they never hear me coming. I hope the diesel is similar but as we now know diesel is not exactly environmentally friendly.

On 29/4/2560 at 7:11 PM, Scotssing said:

No you get the package Mercedes thinks is good for you. Having said that there are 2 versions of the GLA and 2 of the GLC with different configurations. Furthermore the package that Mercedes gives you in the basic price includes a no of options for which you would pay extra in Europe. You don't get an absolutely bespoke car but the off the peg version has quite a no of bells and whistles. For further info look at their Thai website which is in English language and you can download the spec sheet under the brochure option. The English follows the Thai

I realised this morning what I didn't like about the GLC compared to the GLA and that is the engine options are diesel whereas the GLA is petrol. I find the petrol engine so quiet and smooth that I give a lot of pedestrians a shock as they never hear me coming. I hope the diesel is similar but as we now know diesel is not exactly environmentally friendly.

Nope...the Diesel is still a Diesel and in all honesty Benz Diesels are actually quite loud, had a Ford Focus Diesel a few years back and I think it was not as noisy...but then again...you rarely stay in front of the car "while driving" and the cabin inside is very quiet and refined. With lots of up and down Phuket hills and town traffic i am at 7.8l/100km. My Golf GTI with same driving did about 10-10.3l/100km.

• 3 months later...
On 4/28/2017 at 6:03 PM, Scotssing said:

If price is not an issue I would go for the GLC. It is more spacious and a tad more luxurious/better spec. Another poster has commented that it is 4wd although you rarely actually need that. It also just looks so damned good.  When I change my GLA in a year or two I will certainly consider the  GLC or the BMW X3 which is due for a revamp in the next year. Sadly the bankbook will probably be the decider

What made you go for the GLA?

I assume you did all the usual homework when selecting a new car and there seem to be 4 contenders to the same segment in the market: GLA, X3, Q5 and the Volvo XC60.

From the spec the Q5 and XC60 are the biggest and when price and prestige is factored in the Q5 looks like a clear winner.

I totally agree the GLC is way nicer, but then we are in X5 and Q7 territory. 

On 4/19/2017 at 0:20 AM, namlakhorn said:

Hello ExpatOilWorker

Thanks for the suggestion.

what do you mean with value?

Value for money in terms of HP?

Or in terms of size of vehicle?

or in terms of no tire skidding?

BMW makes good cars but my post was about Mercedes Benz, specifically about the experiences of the GLC in Thailand and the reported issues of tire skidding on forums from UK and Australia (with RHD).

Regards Namlakhorn

skidding or skipping?

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:56 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

What made you go for the GLA?

I assume you did all the usual homework when selecting a new car and there seem to be 4 contenders to the same segment in the market: GLA, X3, Q5 and the Volvo XC60.

From the spec the Q5 and XC60 are the biggest and when price and prestige is factored in the Q5 looks like a clear winner.

I totally agree the GLC is way nicer, but then we are in X5 and Q7 territory. 

Sorry for the delay replying but I didn't spot your post

Audis and Volvos don't have the dealer network over all of Thailand so that narrowed it down to a BMW or a Mercedes.

Strictly speaking the competitor for the GLA is an X1. The X3 is bigger and about a million more. It really competes with the GLC

The GLA was a more recent design, looks better and whereas BMW put their effort into how it feels to drive, Mercedes perhaps concentrates more on the interior. The X1 is quite a dated design and is probably due for a revamp. Having said that I like the way the Mercedes drives and my passengers always comment on the smooth ride, comfort and low noise level. You may find some adverse comments on the auto gear box but these are outdated and perhaps refer to the old A series. The auto gear box on the GLA is excellent.

There are plenty of reviews and comparisons of both cars on YouTube

I think if I were buying again I would buy the GLA 250 AMG dynamic rather than the GLA 200 Urban. 0-100km in 6.6 seconds rather than 8.1 which really helps in overtaking although the Urban still gets me past lorries and trucks without causing palpitations. It is only 300000 more. (don't though confuse it with the AMG GLA 45 which is VERY expensive)

The current FWD X1 was only recently introduced.  Typical for BMW, it does not look much different to the old RWD model.  

The GLA looks better inside and out but that is just IMHO.  The 2L turbo is also excellent.  Good power and very flexible.  

However the GLA 250 is not particularly smooth or quiet.  The firm suspension gives good stability at speed but comfort suffers a little.  The run-flat tyres do not help noise or comfort, especially on coarse asphalt.  The front suspension also has very short travel and will bottom out easily on speed bumps.  

I found the dual clutch auto to be OK but frustrating.  Shifts are smooth enough but slow to respond in economy mode.  Sports mode solves the lack of response but constantly holds excessive revs.  Seems strange that Benz cannot program the trans for a better compromise like the converter autos in the C Class etc.  

2 hours ago, Scotssing said:

Sorry for the delay replying but I didn't spot your post

Audis and Volvos don't have the dealer network over all of Thailand so that narrowed it down to a BMW or a Mercedes.

Strictly speaking the competitor for the GLA is an X1. The X3 is bigger and about a million more. It really competes with the GLC

The GLA was a more recent design, looks better and whereas BMW put their effort into how it feels to drive, Mercedes perhaps concentrates more on the interior. The X1 is quite a dated design and is probably due for a revamp. Having said that I like the way the Mercedes drives and my passengers always comment on the smooth ride, comfort and low noise level. You may find some adverse comments on the auto gear box but these are outdated and perhaps refer to the old A series. The auto gear box on the GLA is excellent.

There are plenty of reviews and comparisons of both cars on YouTube

I think if I were buying again I would buy the GLA 250 AMG dynamic rather than the GLA 200 Urban. 0-100km in 6.6 seconds rather than 8.1 which really helps in overtaking although the Urban still gets me past lorries and trucks without causing palpitations. It is only 300000 more. (don't though confuse it with the AMG GLA 45 which is VERY expensive)

I totally agree that Mercedes always have done a very good job with the interior, but in most cases the price you pay is a smaller engine for a similar BMW/Audi.

Did you have a look at the Q5 and apart from the lack of dealerships how do it measure up to the GLA?

Another car that I really like is the X4, but they are just still too expensive in the second hand market.