Senior officials linked to blackmail, forced prostitution of teenager in Mae Hong Son

webfact

Senior officials linked to blackmail, forced prostitution of teenager in Mae Hong Son
By The Nation

5aa1a61b44f9595f1827b074e2e946de.jpeg

Boonyarit Nippawanich (centre), chair of the Deputy District Chief Federations of Thailand, asks the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to help bring culprits to justice yesterday.

BANGKOK: -- A CHAT with a police friend about young, part-time prostitutes turned into a nightmare for one mother after she found that one of the girls available for sex was her own daughter, who later revealed how she had been lured into taking drugs, blackmailed and coerced into the flesh trade.

The daughter, who is now 19, was a minor at the time she was victimised.

The trouble began after she tried ‘yaba’ – methamphetamine – at the encouragement of another woman, who had rescued her from the threat of a physical assault. Her drug-taking was recorded and used to blackmail her, her mother said.

“She was told if she did not agree to sell her body to senior officials, she would be prosecuted for drug offences,” said the mother, who asked to remain anonymous to protect her daughter’s identity.

Seeking justice for her daughter, she found out that several other girls had fallen into the same trap. She claimed that a procurement gang sends members to bully a target and threaten to attack her, then assigns another member to act as a saviour. When the targeted female trusts the fake saviour, she exposes herself to blackmail.

Although these crimes have been taking place for years, the story, which seems at times like a sordid movie plot, is only now starting to be exposed to the public in Mae Hong Son.

The 43-year-old mother, who was formerly an informant for anti-narcotics police, has now sought protection from the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security in Bangkok out of concerns for her safety.

“After I lodged complaints with the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Division [ATPD], I noticed that someone had followed me and tapped my phone,” she said.

The mother then decided to speak to media in the hope they would be able to help bring attention to her daughter’s case and ensure the delivery of justice.

Boonyarit Nippawanich, chair of the Deputy District Chief Federations of Thailand, asked the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) yesterday to take over the case from police.

“Damaged parties are now worried that they may not get justice given that the accused include a policeman and several senior government officials,” he said. Boonyarit is also the deputy district chief of Mae Sariang in Mae Hong Son.

Word has also spread that the suspects have raised a large amount of money, which is meant to influence authorities to dismiss the case.

Deputy police spokesman Pol Colonel Krissana Pattanacharoen said any policeman who violated the law would not be spared.

An anonymous source said the ATPD team would go to Mae Hong Son soon with warrants to arrest many suspects.

Deputy National Police Commissioner Pol General Srivara Ransibrahmanakul confirmed that police were in the process of seeking an arrest warrant for one suspect and of gathering evidence to seek arrest warrants for other alleged accomplices too.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30313252

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-25

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well would you believe it, !!Senior officials linked to blackmail/ forced prostitution !!

Surely not senior officials would never stoop so low, as to do such despicable things.:cheesy::cheesy:

So have they been jailed....lost their job and pension........i guess not........just wa and all will be ok

It you're caught with drugs - small amounts for personal use - the typical no-so Thai has three options: pay an informal "Administrative" fee to the local police entertainment fund (average is 30,000 baht in cash, immediately), enter in to some other "Agreement" with the local police, or go to prison.

If you can borrow the funds - if not from family then often from police in the loan-shark business, then you have other issues, repayment.

If you enter in to another form of agreement this will likely include snitch, servitude or "entertainment" (male or female).

2 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Here it's all about money TIT

Here only?

Everywhere in the world

Money & power.

I am getting a bit irritated about the bashing of Thailand about things seen by TVF readers as not right, in Thailand

Things like this are in every country of the world, black money is going around everywhere.

In some cases rather openly, and in other cases very well hid.

I am the last one to defend misuse of power, but to say it is typical Thai is grossly wrong

Power corrupts, and money is the fuel.

Edited by hansnl

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

Here only?

Everywhere in the world

Money & power.

I am getting a bit irritated about the bashing of Thailand about things seen by TVF readers as not right, in Thailand

Things like this are in every country of the world, black money is going around everywhere.

In some cases rather openly, and in other cases very well hid.

I am the last one to defend misuse of power, but to say it is typical Thai is grossly wrong

Power corrupts, and money is the fuel.

You are correct, but because "everyone else does it" is no reason to turn a blind eye to the facts.

We are here, and now.

9 hours ago, patyh said:

With such loud news in the wild, no matter how much the money is raised, someone is going to jail. 

There have been many other cases in the recent and distant past which received widespread publicity and yet nobody has been jailed and the publicity has just faded away.  What happened in the case of the Phuket land official who was beaten to death (or did he hang himself in his cell ) and how is the arrest of the allegedly corrupt monk going and what happened to the youths including sons of policemen who carved a disabled man to death and how is the the delayed arrest of the wealthy guy who killed two students in his speeding car proceeding?  And...and...and...and?

Anything that needs to be swept under the carpet to preserve the wonderful reputation of the police will be, you can rest assured.

There is no doubt that social media is indeed forcing the authorities to act in a lot more cases but it is still true that there seems to be a reluctance to do so without continuing pressure. 

8 hours ago, hansnl said:

Here only?

Everywhere in the world

Money & power.

Things like this are in every country of the world, black money is going \

If you want to read bashing of other countries read some forum other than 'ThaSvisa'; try Italyvisa, Francevisa, or ____visa. This is a Thailand forum so it is about Thailand, not every country of the world.

12 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

There have been many other cases in the recent and distant past which received widespread publicity and yet nobody has been jailed and the publicity has just faded away.  What happened in the case of the Phuket land official who was beaten to death (or did he hang himself in his cell ) and how is the arrest of the allegedly corrupt monk going and what happened to the youths including sons of policemen who carved a disabled man to death and how is the the delayed arrest of the wealthy guy who killed two students in his speeding car proceeding?  And...and...and...and?

Anything that needs to be swept under the carpet to preserve the wonderful reputation of the police will be, you can rest assured.

There is no doubt that social media is indeed forcing the authorities to act in a lot more cases but it is still true that there seems to be a reluctance to do so without continuing pressure. 

This one may be slightly different.. The Nation Channel reported 2 nights back that someone attempted to bribe the media to not report the news together with the amount of bribe.. Either someone pissed off someone or the media is not interested to back down this time. 

On 4/25/2017 at 9:22 AM, colinneil said:

Well would you believe it, !!Senior officials linked to blackmail/ forced prostitution !!

Surely not senior officials would never stoop so low, as to do such despicable things.:cheesy::cheesy:

To hell with the department of "inactive posts", send these criminals to Southern Thailand to go and fight the criminals/terrorists who are killing Thai peoples. Let them earn the right to pay, if they do not want to go dismiss them without pay and privileges and without legal redress. I know deterrent is not a word readily understandable in Thailand but now maybe a time to learn and introduce.

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:56 AM, rkidlad said:

Senior officials, actors, heirs, people at the very top. With stories like this and the stories in social media, we are beginning to see what a cesspit it is amongst the rich and the powerful. 

Shame. 

you were not aware previously?

When I first visited Thailand, 35 yrs ago, I heard about police owning/running houses of ill-repute.  I talked a hill tribe girl into leaving with me, which she did.  Her police boss didn't pay her prior month's earnings.  Surprise!   

This story in the OP sounds particularly devious.  I hope every one of the conspirators are brought to trial and if found guilty - are subject to the full weight of penalties.  Of course, this being Thailand, and the accused are VIP's - it's not possible.  It's more likely a chicken will fly to the moon, than any rich VIP Thai get seriously busted for breaking the law.   Now, if it was a group of messy-haired, t-shirt-wearing, pimpled farang accused of the same, ......they'd be busted and fined hundreds of thousands of baht quicker than you can flash your get-out-of-jail-free card in a game of Monopoly.

54 minutes ago, Artisi said:

you were not aware previously?

Oh, I've know for a long time. It's just nice to see it being proven. There are plenty of apologists who'd tell you it's a just a few rogue people doing this. Evidently, it's an epidemic. 

18 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Oh, I've know for a long time. It's just nice to see it being proven. There are plenty of apologists who'd tell you it's a just a few rogue people doing this. Evidently, it's an epidemic. 

Without being pedantic, I'd say pandemic. 

6 minutes ago, balo said:

Good news for the victims , this will be a big public media show and the police involved can't just escape from this one.  

Non-event, the appropriate plan will be instigated to cover ars-es,  delay, stall, procrastinate and in due course all will be forgotten.

Please carry-on as usual. 

Edited by Artisi

12 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Only in Thailand where there are more crimes committed by the police than by criminals.:post-4641-1156693976:

Hush, Khun Eric, do you realise you are criticising the 'pretorian guard' from your dear Mr T? Beware, such sparks of honesty might cost you your job some day... 

Edited by bangrak

As far as I can tell, the first instance of officially 'transferred to an inactive post' was by the US's FBI several decades ago.  A rogue agent was transferred to Fargo, North Dakota - the coldest and most remote, do-nothing, little outpost they had.

Thais are notorious for copying many things (good and bad) brought to the world by the US - and Thais dutifully copied the US in 'transferring minor officials to inactive posts'.  Of course, those transferred officials get full salaries, benefits.  The points are to get that person out of the limelight for awhile, until the public's short-lived focus goes on to the next flash in a pan.  And also; to avoid seriously disciplining any of their own brood, which is anathema to officialdom.

Surely Thailand has a 'MINISTRY OF INACTIVE POSTS.'   I picture it as a very large building with hundreds of rooms with nearly no furniture.  hundreds of expressionless men and a few women, sitting at separated desks, not visiting with deskmates, doing crossword puzzles or reading 5 baht comic mags.