Father and children rescued as heavy rains lash Koh Samui

webfact

Father and children rescued as heavy rains lash Koh Samui

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai News Network

SAMUI: -- Rescue services managed to save a father and his two children who were  trapped by floodwaters at the Hin Lat waterfall on Koh Samui yesterday.

The father was able to get on a large boulder that saved him and his children from being washed away in the torrents caused by earlier heavy rain, reported Thai News Network.

Firemen and foundation medics attended the scene and set up a rescue line tied to trees. The father was cradling his three year old son and holding the hand of his five year old daughter tightly when help arrived.

The little girl was rescued first through the muddy waters then the father and son were brought to safety.

TNA reported that many tourists watched the rescue unfold at 2pm yesterday.

Source: Thai News Network

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-25

Find this story very strange.... Me and another member were at this waterfall yesterday... not a drop of rain in Nathon... 

This photo was taken about 1.40 and we were still in the area... when this is reported to have taken place.

There were hundreds of families at the pool area... 

gL-wpFpZRFl8oInpnUxB78hejnA4zNBgPRyqbu6s

5 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Find this story very strange.... Me and another member were at this waterfall yesterday... not a drop of rain in Nathon... 

This photo was taken about 1.40 and we were still in the area... when this is reported to have taken place.

There were hundreds of families at the pool area... 

gL-wpFpZRFl8oInpnUxB78hejnA4zNBgPRyqbu6s

It can be lashing down at one side of the island and dry as a bone at the other. As you can see in the video, it isn't actually raining, but the answer your dilemma seems to be in the line that says "earlier heavy rain". The day before, the rain was absolutely torrential, and the man and his family could possibly have become stranded on a boulder because they got caught unawares by a "flash" flood.

Edited by sambum

1 minute ago, sambum said:

It can be lashing down at one side of the island and dry as a bone at the other. The answer your dilemma seems to be in the line that says "earlier heavy rain". The day before it was torrential, 

Where was torrential  on Samui the day before ? Certainly not at the north end, Bang Por / Maeman  or Nathon ....Saw no evidence going to Ma Muang waterfalls that there had been heavy rain.. trails were dry . (no puddles on road etc...) 

I just wonder if they reported the right waterfalls area.. hard to tell from the video... 

Given there were hundreds of people swimming and picnicking why does it focus on only one family being rescued .. many would have been in trouble ?

The one they mentioned is opposite way to the old Samui Immigration office...

There was a heavy (stormy) rain in the morning. I've been told, that flash-floods can easily appear, and a few hours later everything is back to normal; however, never experience that myself, so can only say what locals tell.

The video looks like it could be Hin Lat waterfall; however I don't recall every stone, even I often come there and have also walked way up in mid of the stream several times (in proper weather conditions); probably other places can look similar, especially when you only see some water stream and stones...

54 minutes ago, khunPer said:

There was a heavy (stormy) rain in the morning. I've been told, that flash-floods can easily appear, and a few hours later everything is back to normal; however, never experience that myself, so can only say what locals tell.

The video looks like it could be Hin Lat waterfall; however I don't recall every stone, even I often come there and have also walked way up in mid of the stream several times (in proper weather conditions); probably other places can look similar, especially when you only see some water stream and stones...

"The video looks like it could be Hin Lat waterfall"

From the headline:- SAMUI: -- Rescue services managed to save a father and his two children who were  trapped by floodwaters at the Hin Lat waterfall on Koh Samui yesterday.

2 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Where was torrential  on Samui the day before ? Certainly not at the north end, Bang Por / Maeman  or Nathon ....Saw no evidence going to Ma Muang waterfalls that there had been heavy rain.. trails were dry . (no puddles on road etc...) 

I just wonder if they reported the right waterfalls area.. hard to tell from the video... 

Given there were hundreds of people swimming and picnicking why does it focus on only one family being rescued .. many would have been in trouble ?

The one they mentioned is opposite way to the old Samui Immigration office...

khunPher says:- "There was a heavy (stormy) rain in the morning."

There was certainly heavy rain in the Lamai area the previous morning, and when you say "this waterfall" do you mean the Hin Lat waterfall, or was it another one?

48 minutes ago, sambum said:

khunPher says:- "There was a heavy (stormy) rain in the morning."

There was certainly heavy rain in the Lamai area the previous morning, and when you say "this waterfall" do you mean the Hin Lat waterfall, or was it another one?

That's the question that has me miffed ....  The news reports said Had Lat.(Lad) same same!  it was hard to tell from the video ....

I realize that we can have bursts of rain in very localized areas, but at lets call it the (north) top end of Samui.... nothing from Bang Por to Ma Muang falls, which my self and another member visited in the morning, before going to Hin Lat

Lamai rains, would not affect Hin Lat/ Lad falls, at least I  would not think so, with knowing the way the island is up "on top" over the various ranges and valleys up there.

This was taken at 13.39

lB5BSfnp2h6YgJVeUuR1U7LJGvjRBawUfeutA8t2

This image was taken at 13.43 ..we were still there at 2pm. when this was reported to have happened.

sYNoLowE-Ab5Xd5v8iUBYDlsYP-AkKPi2kqg92NB

17 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

That's the question that has me miffed ....  The news reports said Had Lat.(Lad) same same!  it was hard to tell from the video ....

I realize that we can have bursts of rain in very localized areas, but at lets call it the (north) top end of Samui.... nothing from Bang Por to Ma Muang falls, which my self and another member visited in the morning, before going to Hin Lat

Lamai rains, would not affect Hin Lat/ Lad falls, at least I  would not think so, with knowing the way the island is up "on top" over the various ranges and valleys up there.

This was taken at 13.39

This image was taken at 13.43 ..we were still there at 2pm. when this was reported to have happened.

17 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

This was taken at 13.39

lB5BSfnp2h6YgJVeUuR1U7LJGvjRBawUfeutA8t2

sYNoLowE-Ab5Xd5v8iUBYDlsYP-AkKPi2kqg92NB

The water certainly seems a bit more turbulent in the video!

Having said that, I was there a few weeks ago, when the waters were pretty calm, and a girl got into trouble because she slipped off one of the boulders into a deep pool, and banged her head at the same time. Those boulders can be treacherous if they or your feet/shoes/flipflops are wet!

2 hours ago, sambum said:

"The video looks like it could be Hin Lat waterfall"

From the headline:- SAMUI: -- Rescue services managed to save a father and his two children who were  trapped by floodwaters at the Hin Lat waterfall on Koh Samui yesterday.

Yes, that was the question – if Hin Lat, as stated in the news, or not. i.e. mistake or another waterfall behind Nathon – in the line og posts above, and why I answer with my local experience...:thumbsup:

This is what Hin Lat looks like after heavy rain (not yesterday), photo about two hundred meter further up the stream than Samui Jimmy's pictures – the quite big British guy, friend of mine, who insisted on taking a swim in the waterfall, he is an experienced "waterfall-swimmer", said that "the current was quite hard" – however, from my own view I find it strange that a silent stream can change from what's seen in Samui Jimmy's photos, and what it appear like, in the video. But we often hear about flash floods in the news, so probably one shall just be happy having not experienced one...

wIMG_6885_Hin-Lat-stream-after-rain.jpg.d67a4c817211295dfa211e5a9ca3b4b5.jpg

And just a note about the heavy rain in the morning in Maenam – rain in Maenam is no guarantee that it also rains in Nathon, vice versa...

Edited by khunPer

28 minutes ago, khunPer said:

This is what Hin Lat looks like after heavy rain (not yesterday), photo about two hundred meter further up the stream than Samui Jimmy's pictures – the quite big British guy, friend of mine, who insisted on taking a swim in the waterfall, he is an experienced "waterfall-swimmer", said that "the current was quite hard" – however, from my own view I find it strange that a silent stream can change from what's seen in Samui Jimmy's photos, and what it appear like, in the video. But we often hear about flash floods in the news, so probably one shall just be happy having not experienced one...

wIMG_6885_Hin-Lat-stream-after-rain.jpg.d67a4c817211295dfa211e5a9ca3b4b5.jpg

And just a note about the heavy rain in the morning in Maenam – rain in Maenam is no guarantee that it also rains in Nathon, vice versa...

Yes - as I said in Post #3 :- "It can be lashing down at one side of the island and dry as a bone at the other."

And as The Lobster puts it "The people were rescued. Happy Days. Time to move on folks ..................."

Edited by sambum

That day I heard brief but very intense thunder on the SW of the island with intense black clouds inland. No rain and only a sprinkle towards Hua Thanon. Having grown up in the American Southwestern desert, I know that flash floods can arise so fast as to almost be a wave rushing down the riverbed. So it is possible that that happened within minutes of the placid scene in the pictures posted. Confused reporting is rather more common locally  ?

Lesson to remember is that if you see the river suddenly start to swell you need to get out of the flood zone as fast as possible.

In the 45 mins I spent in the dentists chair on Mon intense rain passed which might have been missed if the wife hadn't seen it from the waiting room (Maenam). It's signature went as far as the Esso garage when we drove to Nation afterwards which was dry.

I suspect the date or time are proberly wrong in the OP.

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

In the 45 mins I spent in the dentists chair on Mon intense rain passed which might have been missed if the wife hadn't seen it from the waiting room (Maenam). It's signature went as far as the Esso garage when we drove to Nation afterwards which was dry.

I suspect the date or time are proberly wrong in the OP.

Love the use of the word "signature" to describe that point in the road where the rain has stopped/started! When I first came here I was amazed by it!