Items you think should be available here, but aren't.

Trujillo

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

The lovely 8lb containers of 'Orville Redenbacher' brand Popcorn.  Quite simply the best popcorn available... just not available in Thailand!

Claussens' Kosher Dill pickles

McKenzie Hot Italian Sausage

Visine Eye drops

I know this isn't a "substitute thread" but.... I got some Vlasic kosher dills at Villa Market in BKK.  Some other kind of hot Italian sausage last time, didn't have Johnsonville in stock, but the substitute brand is pretty good.

20170428_181109.thumb.jpg.57074255b0537be0b484e69e58cac64d.jpg

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

Hermesetas sweeteners for my coffee.

Think the Thais have taken on board the old wives tale that they can give you cancer.

I have to ask visitors to bring me a supply.

You must really like your sweet fix to be so convinced that ingesting chemicals is doing you no harm!

Thankfully, so far Thailand doesn't have lobbyists and a FDA that allows this poison, the average Thai is unhealthy enough as it is!

Western food items *lack* of availability are understandable that not all products are available all the time, what surprises me is the lack of food/cuisine from Thailand's neighbours, Malaysian, Singaporian, Indonesian foods and related ingredients are nowhere to be seen. Vietnamese food is well established, but that's the exception.

I've never met the average Thai who's not western educated that knows what a Laksa and Sambal Oelek is

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

Western food items *lack* of availability are understandable that not all products are available all the time, what surprises me is the lack of food/cuisine from Thailand's neighbours, Malaysian, Singaporian, Indonesian foods and related ingredients are nowhere to be seen. Vietnamese food is well established, but that's the exception.

I've never met the average Thai who's not western educated that knows what a Laksa and Sambal Oelek is

Nonsense, western education has nothing to to do with it, it's about exposure - my guess is that 99% of (educated) Americans wouldn't have a clue what those dishes are!

You can't find 'Tums"  or similar,  chewable antacids...

They have Antacil here. Same deal. 

Regarding online duties, I meant if you sourced from outside Thailand, which is not what this thread is about. 

Also, I wasn't thinking of a wish list; more of things that you would think would be available here, but for some reason, aren't. 

I mean I'd like to have someone open a Denny's, but that's not exactly meeting the brief. (Or Cherry Ripe!)

As for plastic lids for canned goods, I've never seen just the right size lids for sale, although of course you can buy plastic containers with lids. 

By the way, I didn't know "democracy" was an item. 

Baked beans at a reasonable price.

39 baht a tin is blinking extortion.

Khaoi soi from Chiang mai should be available everywhere - goldmine waiting to happen.

A website where you are allowed to network and market stuff instead of a website worried about farang climbing the ladder.

6 hours ago, tonray said:

Things that are available here that should NOT be: KFC/Starbucks/McDonalds

Another pathetic comment about companies that are frequented by hundreds of millions around the world every day. Including Thais. Big corporations = BAD. Just because you don't like their products it doesn't mean they shouldn't be available to those who do. I bet you'd really love to have shares in those companies and rake in the dividends, hmm?

22 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Another pathetic comment about companies that are frequented by hundreds of millions around the world every day. Including Thais. Big corporations = BAD. Just because you don't like their products it doesn't mean they shouldn't be available to those who do. I bet you'd really love to have shares in those companies and rake in the dividends, hmm?

:post-4641-1156693976: :shock1:

55 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Nonsense, western education has nothing to to do with it, it's about exposure - my guess is that 99% of (educated) Americans wouldn't have a clue what those dishes are!

Yes, but western educated thais are more travelled and spend significant times abroad to immerse themselves in other culture compared to occasional tourists but even then, Insular americans aside, Even Europeans or Australians are more exposed to the cuisines of Southeast Asia than the Thais. Like there's all kinds of different high end Japanese / European restaurant in Bangkok but other Southeast Asian Cuisines aren't readily available here

56 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Baked beans at a reasonable price.

39 baht a tin is blinking extortion.

Khaoi soi from Chiang mai should be available everywhere - goldmine waiting to happen.

A website where you are allowed to network and market stuff instead of a website worried about farang climbing the ladder.

Nothing wrong with AYAM brand  from MAKRO  very cheap and in my opinion the best

Just now, oldsailor35 said:

Nothing wrong with AYAM brand  from MAKRO  very cheap and in my opinion the best

My concern is the price per tin in big c at 39 baht a tin. At least you know the brand in question. Made in Thailand but sold like an import in big c. 

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

My concern is the price per tin in big c at 39 baht a tin. At least you know the brand in question. Made in Thailand but sold like an import in big c. 

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

Packs of 3 , give them a go, i am sure you will not be disappointed.

I am always happily surprised at the large variety of what is available foodwise, in Central Food Hall for example, (OK it's more Western orientated), ditto Villa supermarkets. CFH has a much larger variety (of international food items) than its equivalent in UK, such as Waitrose, Sainsbury's etc.

That said, there are a couple of non food items I struggle to find - silver polish (cream), but it does sporadically come into stock from Wright's for the water mixed paste, and Hob Brite, (to clean the stove/hob top). Both I buy from Amazon or Ebay.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes, and check out what it's doing to Thai obesity levels. It's not about big corporations - it's about "food" that is a health hazard.

8 hours ago, Trujillo said:

-- Plastic lids of various sizes to re-seal canned goods, like olives, beans, tuna, etc.

By the way, what I meant by "here" was at a shop of some kind, not necessarily an online store. Of course, I can get almost anything online if I want to pay to have it sent here and pay any customs duties and taxes. 

If you but the container the lid normally comes with it.