Trump questions why U.S. Civil War had to happen

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Farang hunter said:

I have changed my views on Trump, at least he is not pretending he is smart or great speaker.  He is just a normal guy in office.

What???  Trump constantly boast about how smart he is.  That he went to Wharton.  That he could fix America's problems so easily.  That everyone else was stupid.  That he knows more about the military than the Generals.  That he knows so many great words (classic).  But we know now that none of this is true.  The man is a moron.  He knows less than the "normal guy."  But he thinks he knows it all...which is what makes him dangerous. 

Edited by Berkshire

6 minutes ago, Farang hunter said:

I have changed my views on Trump, at least he is not pretending he is smart or great speaker.  He is just a normal guy in office.

Sorry but you do 'normal guy's' a great disservice.  Trump is NOT a normal guy. Normal guy's are not pathological liars, they are not narcissists, they have responsibility and generally have a modicum of education. Trump is FAR from normal (and not in a positive sense).

Taking trump's historical opinions more seriously than from a typical toddler is pure folly. He knows nothing of such things. 

The only thing you can learn from trump is how to be a CON MAN. 

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, Farang hunter said:

Really, so you think that if someone were to ask Trump if he was smart, he'd say no, not really.  Maybe you're confusing him with another Donald Trump?

1 hour ago, Farang hunter said:

Actually, Trump does think he's smarter than almost anyone (quote: 'I know more than the Generals' / 'I have a very high IQ' etc, etc, ad nauseum), he also believes he's very well read (yet in the same interview admits he cannot get beyond the 1st page of a book) he further believes he's a master deal maker (but then complains he cannot get a a deal done even with his own party controlling both the House and Senate). Trump's ardent supporters also believe he's very smart, a master deal maker, etc, etc. How can this possibly be with the overwhelming evidence to the contrary? This is easily explained by a phenomenon called the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Trump and evidently many of his supporters are suffering from this effect (which they are not/cannot be aware, thus should not be blamed). Basically the less  aware one is, the more likely they are to overestimate their abilities. Or as Dunning put it: “People don’t know what they don’t know.”  If one lacks knowledge and intelligence, one remains ignorant that one lacks such knowledge and intelligence. Put in the very simplest terms:  'they're too dumb to even know it'. Thus, Trump & co are the personification of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Tragically, as they do not (cannot) realise they have it, there is no cure.

More on the Dunning-Kruger effect:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/donald-trump-supporters-dunning-kruger-effect-213904

Edited by sujoop

14 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Not only that. Apparently the Trail of Tears is a misnomer.  It should have been called the Trek of Smiles.

I, an Aussie read "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" Similar atrocities occurred in Australia. 

I cannot comprehend in this day and age why anyone would admire a slave owner, a man who ordered the massacre of Native Americans after having made treaties with them. TIA, This is America.

3 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Not if Sanders was the candidate for the democrats, I think he would take a hammering then. They should never have run Clinton

HRC would have not just won the popular vote (which she did by nearly 3 million votes) but would have won the whole enchilada, if not for either of two things:

#1   Republican partisan Comey breaking rules (and going against reasoned advice from his colleagues) by releasing news of FBI looking into Weiner's emails.   ....and...

#2   Russian agents actively assisting Trump.

51 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

I, an Aussie read "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" Similar atrocities occurred in Australia. 

I cannot comprehend in this day and age why anyone would admire a slave owner, a man who ordered the massacre of Native Americans after having made treaties with them. TIA, This is America.

Jackson didn't order the massacre of Indians.  Rather he ordered them forcibly moved from their homeland to inferior places they didn't want to go.   In that way, perhaps, Trump resembles his hero;Jackson.

47 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

HRC would have not just won the popular vote (which she did by nearly 3 million votes) but would have won the whole enchilada, if not for either of two things:

#1   Republican partisan Comey breaking rules (and going against reasoned advice from his colleagues) by releasing news of FBI looking into Weiner's emails.   ....and...

#2   Russian agents actively assisting Trump.

I am an Aussie and really have no business commenting on US affairs. But The evidence on Comey is not fully investigated (and sure, it will not be on this watch) Russian involvement is not yet complete to substanciate all allegations.(and sure, not likely on this watch unless the rift between CIA and FBI widens) The US election is over and done with. Nothing will change anything until next elections. I believe you should concentrate on finding a GOOD person, a half intelligent person to challenge the president you have and will not unseat before the next elections. Not even you can do this boomer.  

12 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Jackson didn't order the massacre of Indians.  Rather he ordered them forcibly moved from their homeland to inferior places they didn't want to go.   In that way, perhaps, Trump resembles his hero;Jackson.

This resulted in a massacre. QED. 

PS. They are not Indians. Indians live on the main continent of Asia in a country called India. I believe you are referring to Native Americans, not at all related.

But mostly I almost agree with most of your views. Sometimes. lol 

39 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

This resulted in a massacre. QED. 

PS. They are not Indians. Indians live on the main continent of Asia in a country called India. I believe you are referring to Native Americans, not at all related.

But mostly I almost agree with most of your views. Sometimes. lol 

Oh please, in the USA the term "Indians" is widely used and accepted. 

5908d5626e68d_bureauofindianaffairs.gif.2c61cfca63fcdeb2c9cca854da3e6e2e.gif

Your rant reminds me of people objecting to Americans calling themselves Americans. 

Edited by Jingthing

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Oh please, in the USA the term "Indians" is widely used and accepted. 

5908d5626e68d_bureauofindianaffairs.gif.2c61cfca63fcdeb2c9cca854da3e6e2e.gif

Your rant reminds me of people objecting to Americans calling themselves Americans. 

It was not a rant. 

When westerners set out to find India from west Europe, they never thought that Nth and Sth America may lay in between. The first Europeans to set foot in America can be excused for calling the indigenous population "Indians". In a so called modern and educated society, to persist with this myth is, well, pretty silly. Native Americans are native Americans. Not Indians.

Americans are Americans, and different to the original population of indigenous Americans.

Or as some of them said. "The people" or "The people of our lands". 

The department of interior affairs has ALWAYS been a racist, treaty breaking,land grabbing blight on US affairs. You need to read your own history.

From The National Museum Of The American Indian...

What is the correct terminology: American Indian, Indian, Native American, or Native?

All of these terms are acceptable. The consensus, however, is that whenever possible, Native people prefer to be called by their specific tribal name. In the United States, Native American has been widely used but is falling out of favor with some groups, and the terms American Indian or indigenous American are preferred by many Native people.

NMAI Director: Kevin Gover (Pawnee)

Board of Trustees

Andrew J. Lee (Seneca), Chair 
Margaret L. Brown (Yup’ik), Vice-Chair 
Valerie Rowe, Secretary 
Kim Baird (Tsawwassen First Nation) 
Mitchelene Bigman (Crow Nation) 
danah boyd 
William K. Butler II 
Brenda Child (Red Lake Ojibwe) 
Amanda Cobb-Greetham (Chickasaw) 
Philip J. Deloria (Standing Rock Sioux) 
Kristopher Easton 
The Honorable William H. Frist, MD 
Jeff L. Grubbe (Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians) 
Sven Haakanson (Alutiiq) 
LaDonna Harris (Comanche) 
Allison Hicks (Prairie Band of Potawatomi) 
Colin Kippen (Native Hawaiian) 
Richard Kurin, Ex Officio 
Bill Lomax (Maskaluuwasxw) 
Richard Luarkie (Pueblo of Laguna) 
Lance Morgan (Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska) 
David J. Skorton, Ex Officio 
Loretta Tuell (Nez Perce) 
Darreld “Deacon” Turner II (Cherokee) 
Armstrong A. Wiggins (Mískito)

New York Board of Directors

Valerie Rowe, Chair 
Andrew J. Lee (Seneca), Vice-Chair 
Benita Potters (Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla), Vice-Chair 
Charles M. Diker, Founding Co-Chair 
Valerie T. Diker, Founding Co-Chair 
Michael Bernstein 
Peggy Burns 
Lois Sherr Dubin 
John L. Ernst 
Margot P. Ernst 
Stephen J. Friedman 
Catherine Morrison Golden 
Bradford R. Keeler (Cherokee) 
Lance E. Lindblom 
Oliver Niedermaier 
Jacqueline Johnson Pata (Tlingit) 
Antonio Pérez, PhD 
Jane F. Safer 
Ann Silverman (Ojibwe) 
Josh Spear 
Howard Teich 
Leslie A. Wheelock (Oneida Tribe of Wisconsin) 
Randall L. Willis (Oglala Lakota) 
Barbara H. Block, Emerita 
James A. Block, Emeritus

9 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Not if Sanders was the candidate for the democrats, I think he would take a hammering then. They should never have run Clinton

6 hours ago, sujoop said:

Actually, Trump does think he's smarter than almost anyone (quote: 'I know more than the Generals' / 'I have a very high IQ' etc, etc, ad nauseum), he also believes he's very well read (yet in the same interview admits he cannot get beyond the 1st page of a book) he further believes he's a master deal maker (but then complains he cannot get a a deal done even with his own party controlling both the House and Senate). Trump's ardent supporters also believe he's very smart, a master deal maker, etc, etc. How can this possibly be with the overwhelming evidence to the contrary? This is easily explained by a phenomenon called the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Trump and evidently many of his supporters are suffering from this effect (which they are not/cannot be aware, thus should not be blamed). Basically the less  aware one is, the more likely they are to overestimate their abilities. Or as Dunning put it: “People don’t know what they don’t know.”  If one lacks knowledge and intelligence, one remains ignorant that one lacks such knowledge and intelligence. Put in the very simplest terms:  'they're too dumb to even know it'. Thus, Trump & co are the personification of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Tragically, as they do not (cannot) realise they have it, there is no cure.

More on the Dunning-Kruger effect:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/donald-trump-supporters-dunning-kruger-effect-213904

Yes, this is indeed the Dunning-Kruger Presidency.  But Trump is also a psychopath.  In the psychopath's mind there is only one person, himself.  Other people are just things to be manipulated, whether by charm or by bullying.  So, when Trump says that nobody knew how complicated health care was, by "nobody" he means himself, the only person.  Other people simply do not register; they aren't in the picture.  So, that's the reason that psychopaths like Trump lack empathy.  So, Trump has betrayed everyone in his life: his wives, his mentor, Roy Cohn ("Donald Trump pisses ice water."), contractors, partners, employees, shareholders, political allies, and others.  The ghostwriter of "The Art of the Deal," who spent all day every day with Trump for eighteen months, said that Trump had no friend, never read a book, and never as much as mentioned his children during that time, much less had lunch with any of them.  Psychopaths have an unshakeable conviction in their own superior intelligence, against which evidence to the contrary scarcely makes a dent. 

Al Franken made the most interesting observation about Trump.  After looking at a lot of videos of Trump, he pointed out that Trump never laughs.  He smiles a lot, but he never laughs.  The President is a reptile.

.............and by all accounts he never even read the Art of the Deal, which of course he didn't write either.

Can any Trump supporters please explain to us why Trump is right about Jackson being angry about the Civil War?

My apologies (to Tony Schwartz), actual author of Art of The Deal.

On 5/2/2017 at 6:20 AM, webfact said:

Jackson "was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War.""

The civil war was ignited by the South Carolina seceding from the USA in 1861 and Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation issued in 1862. Jackson died in 1845. I don't think Jackson was angry about what he saw - he was dead. Perhaps Trump should blame Republican POTUS Abraham Lincoln for failing to stop the war by smart negotiations.

The primary objective of States seceding from the United States was the preservation of slavery and the plantation economy.  https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/great-mistake-why-did-south-secede-1860/

If Trump was somehow "channeling" Jackson into the civil war era and hypothetically "saw" what was happening, I doubt as a vigorous slave owner Jackson would have fought to preserve the US. Politically Jackson was a symbol of hands-off federal government that promotes states’ rights - a Jeffersonian as opposed to the Hamiltonian.

https://daily.jstor.org/was-andrew-jackson-really-a-states-rights-champion/

Thus, in Trump's alternate universe Jackson might have supported states to secede from the Union. As such Jackson as POTUS in the 1860's instead of Lincoln would have allowed the breakup of the US to avoid a civil war. Thus, Trump might be correct that Jackson would have negotiated a different result than civil war. On the other hand, Jackson might also have been impeached by an anti-slavery congress who can declare war and replaced through constitutional succession by Jackson's VP Hannibal Hamlin in this alternate universe who was an active opponent of slavery. In the real world Hamlin was Lincoln's VP.

4 hours ago, Farang hunter said:

go trump make america great again

As one of Trump's loyal, yet unimportant, minions, aren't you even a little concerned that your hero is heading for an epic fall....

[Former Labor Secretary Robert Reich said there was a "real and growing possibility Trump could be impeached" as he shared the New Yorker article on Twitter.

It comes after a source told The Guardian the investigation now has "specific, concrete and corroborative evidence of collusion."]

[Senator Mark Warner, the vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, privately told friends he puts the odds at two to one against the President completing a full term, the New Yorker reported.]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-two-one-chance-060800255.html?.tsrc=jtc_news_index

5 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

As one of Trump's loyal, yet unimportant, minions, aren't you even a little concerned that your hero is heading for an epic fall....

[Former Labor Secretary Robert Reich said there was a "real and growing possibility Trump could be impeached" as he shared the New Yorker article on Twitter.

It comes after a source told The Guardian the investigation now has "specific, concrete and corroborative evidence of collusion."]

[Senator Mark Warner, the vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, privately told friends he puts the odds at two to one against the President completing a full term, the New Yorker reported.]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-two-one-chance-060800255.html?.tsrc=jtc_news_index

To be fair i think he was being sarcastic, he has to be, right?

Satire

FOURTH-GRADE CLASS TOURING WHITE HOUSE ANSWERS TRUMP’S QUESTIONS ABOUT THE CIVIL WAR

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—A class of fourth-grade students touring the White House on Monday had a chance encounter with Donald Trump and were able to answer several of his questions about the Civil War.

The students, on a field trip organized by their Bethesda, Maryland, elementary school, happened upon Trump outside the Oval Office and “cleared a lot of things up for him,” their teacher said.

After Trump invited the children into his office, the ten-year-olds briefed him on the causes of the Civil War, including slavery, states’ rights, and regional economic differences.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/fourth-grade-class-touring-white-house-answers-trumps-questions-about-civil-war

Just now, mtls2005 said:

Satire

FOURTH-GRADE CLASS TOURING WHITE HOUSE ANSWERS TRUMP’S QUESTIONS ABOUT THE CIVIL WAR

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—A class of fourth-grade students touring the White House on Monday had a chance encounter with Donald Trump and were able to answer several of his questions about the Civil War.

The students, on a field trip organized by their Bethesda, Maryland, elementary school, happened upon Trump outside the Oval Office and “cleared a lot of things up for him,” their teacher said.

After Trump invited the children into his office, the ten-year-olds briefed him on the causes of the Civil War, including slavery, states’ rights, and regional economic differences.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/fourth-grade-class-touring-white-house-answers-trumps-questions-about-civil-war

He then said Brexit ended the war

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Satire

But another student in the class, Zach Dorrinson, said that his attempt to explain the abolitionist movement to Trump was not successful.

“He needs to learn how to sit still for longer without fidgeting,” the fourth-grader said. 

CLASSIC TRUMP.

Just now, Srikcir said:

But another student in the class, Zach Dorrinson, said that his attempt to explain the abolitionist movement to Trump was not successful.

“He needs to learn how to sit still for longer without fidgeting,” the fourth-grader said. 

CLASSIC TRUMP.

He wasn't fidgeting, he was tweeting 

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

CLASSIC TRUMP.

Just to make sure, this is a fictional humor piece.

But like most "stories" on The Borowitz Report, it does seem like it could absolutely happen.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

When i hear Trump just stopping an interview, because he has no answer's or realising that the interviewer is a damn sight more astute than him.

He always reminds me of a Groucho Marks comment

" These are my principles, and if you dont like them, i have others"

Very ignorant man.

But he has the nuclear codes.

Be worried.

The fact that 40 percent of Americans still support this very moronic and dangerous man, very low approval ratings for a new president as that is, should also be concerning.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/05/trump_s_belief_that_a_deal_could_have_prevented_the_civil_war_is_as_dangerous.html

The Danger of Trump’s Civil War Ignorance

Those who don’t understand history are doomed to repeat it.

This ignorance isn’t just embarrassing; it’s also a threat to our collective and institutional well-being. A president who knows nothing of the past will likely blunder in office; a president who knows nothing of history will likely repeat the worst mistakes of his predecessors; a president who all but relishes his ignorance will, at some point, lead us all into disaster.

Edited by Jingthing