WARNING! Samsung J7-2 just exploded !!!

There have been warnings about the Note model phone, but I wasnt aware of issues on other models and the wifes J7-2 has just exploded !!

It was not connected to any charger and was on the bedside table when it exploded and quickly filled the room with smoke. The battery is blown up like a baloon.

If you have one of these be warned.

Just happy it wasnt on her person or next to her face when it went bang!!

My Samsung J7-1 has never even got warm. 

It must be just the newer models.

20170503_034253.jpg

Samsung customer service is not good. They say you have to take the phone to a service centre. Thats a 3 hr drive in this case. Only after insistance and strong complaint to a Manager, they agreed to accept it by post.

They have to inspect it, make a report, send that to Bangkok, await paperwork decision back from Bangkok and then if authorised supply a new phone. Expected time-scale 3-4 weeks !!! Amazing Thailand.

20170503_111808.jpg

56 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Samsung customer service is not good. They say you have to take the phone to a service centre. Thats a 3 hr drive in this case. Only after insistance and strong complaint to a Manager, they agreed to accept it by post.

They have to inspect it, make a report, send that to Bangkok, await paperwork decision back from Bangkok and then if authorised supply a new phone. Expected time-scale 3-4 weeks !!! Amazing Thailand.

20170503_111808.jpg

I agree regarding Samsung, but please don't blame Thailand. There are others in Thailand whose service is absolutely excellent. One of them is Apple with whom the experience I have been having for the last few years, is fast, efficient and all are most curteous! Acer and Asus are also not bad.

Re Samsung Service: Poor experiences here (not with a phone but with a Washing Machine). 

It broke, called numerous times to arrange a repair, finally got through. Repair men came, looked at the machine and said they needed to order a part and will be back in a few days. That was a week ago. We called Samsung who have no record of the visit or spare request !!!...  

Makes me want to avoid any Samsung equipment in future.. And after this thread, I'll definitely be avoiding Samsung Phones !

What happens on the Planes when they announce that people must not have the Note and if they do please alert the flight attendants ?

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Re Samsung Service: Poor experiences here (not with a phone but with a Washing Machine). 

It broke, called numerous times to arrange a repair, finally got through. Repair men came, looked at the machine and said they needed to order a part and will be back in a few days. That was a week ago. We called Samsung who have no record of the visit or spare request !!!...  

Makes me want to avoid any Samsung equipment in future.. And after this thread, I'll definitely be avoiding Samsung Phones !

What happens on the Planes when they announce that people must not have the Note and if they do please alert the flight attendants ?

I don't know about every airline every country, but a colleague shared the following at check-in one time at Don Muang, maybe one year ago. Check-in girl asked 'do you have Samsung xxx phone on you?'

Response 'yes', and customer then wanted to put it in his check-in bag which got a very swift NO NO NO.

Check-in supervisor came and said 'you have two choices:

- Give it to the police who can put in immediately in a steel box for you to recover at a later date or arrange for a friend to come and retrieve it from the police station. Or police can arrange destruction. Or take it to the airport post office and see if they will accept for postal service.'

Another customer quickly said 'PO won't accept'.

Passenger then seen heading for the ap police station. 

Have no idea if that's still the procedure.

Edited by scorecard

that's nasty! power consumption in android devices has always been their pitfall. ever wondered why iphones are always relatively under-spec'd vs their android rivals? that's because android devices need to be overspec'd to achieve the level of usability iphones have always offered. those high specs take a toll on the battery and when batteries get over stressed... jump to OP's wife's burnt pop-phone. best of luck with the replacement, CharlieH.

38 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

that's nasty! power consumption in android devices has always been their pitfall. ever wondered why iphones are always relatively under-spec'd vs their android rivals? that's because android devices need to be overspec'd to achieve the level of usability iphones have always offered. those high specs take a toll on the battery and when batteries get over stressed... jump to OP's wife's burnt pop-phone. best of luck with the replacement, CharlieH.

Yeah cause sitting idle on the bedside table was clearly causing the battery to get over stressed.

Good grief that is scary Charlie, so extremely fortunate it wasn't anywhere near her face. 

Here is some information for anyone traveling to mainland China. All airports have banned Samsung stuff from earlier this year. The sign says only Note7 but they wouldn't let me on with a SG7 smartphone had to leave it with a friend lol. This is the Canton airport, Bayun.  

Beware if you are going there.

You may have to dump your phone or other device.Samsung7.thumb.jpg.4be08895bbe675bf463664550327a743.jpg

3 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

I agree regarding Samsung, but please don't blame Thailand. There are others in Thailand whose service is absolutely excellent. One of them is Apple with whom the experience I have been having for the last few years, is fast, efficient and all are most curteous! Acer and Asus are also not bad.

Apple Thailand has a good service?This is a joke,right?I needed a new screen a few months ago.Went to apple shop im Central Chonburi.They told me they have to send it to Singapore.After that i sent an email to apple and a day later Apple Singapore called me and told me "You can't get your Iphone repaired in Thailand anymore,because the repair service is substandard in Thailand"Great service,Now I have 25000baht phone with a 1800baht copy screen from China and of course lost all warranty

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

20170503_111808.jpg

5 hours ago, irwinfc said:

ow come on no device can take the abuse of an asiatic lady they cannot leave the phone in peace even when it is charging i phone brakes down too  and tyryto get some service for that!!! average phone does 20 hour everyday

29 minutes ago, fdch said:

20170503_111808.jpg

come on no device can take the abuse of an asiatic lady

That must of been one heck of a facebook post to do that!

Edited by RichCor
correcting/crediting original posters

Only after insistance and strong complaint to a Manager, they agreed to accept it by post.

Wonder how the post office would feel about that arrangement. Most restrict shipment of damaged batteries.

Though, in this case, I don't think it's going to do much else, well other than smell.

I wonder how much Samsung will estimate it'll cost you to have it repaired     :blink:   

14 hours ago, xerostar said:

At the airport check-in, I wonder if you could just remove the battery and throw it in a bin?

Buy a new battery at the destination.

Better than losing the whole phone.

Not so easy with many of the top end phones.

Batteries not easy to remove.

Very bad quality Charlie ..... and I see BS adds on TV how Samsung takes quality so serious bla ... bla  ...  bla ...

thanks for sharing ... I'll let my thai friends know ....  

you should have someone warn others on facebook and the likes ....

19 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah cause sitting idle on the bedside table was clearly causing the battery to get over stressed.

yeah, just because it's on the bedside table doesn't mean the phone is idle. apps can run while the phone is on standby. wifi radio can also stay on and connected to the router even while on standby. same thing with the GPS receiver. all of which can load the battery, even if the phone is lying on the bedside table. knowing is half the battle.