Provision for the handicapped may delay opening of Pattaya tunnel

rooster59

Provision for the handicapped may delay opening of Pattaya tunnel

tunnel.PNG

Image: Sophon

The Pattaya underpass opening may be further delayed due to discussions about an unfinished part of the project to help handicapped pedestrians.

Sophon cable reported on Facebook that the matter relates to the provision of a bridge for the handicapped at the entrance to the tunnel that has not been built.

While they reported that virtually everything connected to the actual tunnel itself was finished the whole project could be further delayed by this issue.

The project is already over three months behind schedule as it was due to be opened in February.

Now there could be further delays to scupper a revised handover date of May 22nd.

Sophon reported that the lighting, signage and barriers as well as other infrastructure was now 100% complete on the 1.9 kilometer underpass but the Department of Rural Roads were still in discussions with the contractor regarding the handicap bridge.

It was felt that the opening could not go ahead until everything was finished as it could cause further problems down the line.

Source: Sophon

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-06

Would it not be cheaper to put in a pedestrian crossing with BIG traffic lights and cameras for red light jumpers, very clear road markings and signs and a maintenance contract to make sure they work. plus a policeman on duty there for two weeks to slap instant fines. Gotta be cheaper than build a bridge, which will not get used, except for suicide jumpers. and motorbikes. 

Are they talking about a handicapped-accessible pedestrian overpass over Sukhumvit at "the" entrance to the tunnel.  (Aren't there *two* entrances?)  Earlier news releases had mentioned such an overpass with elevators was needed.  If that is what they are talking about, why can't the tunnel be open during the construction of the overpass(es)?  IIRC, they only closed Sukhumvit for a few hours at night during a phase of construction of the new (non-handicapped-accessible) pedestrian overpass over the central part of the tunnel.

Has anybody seen a handicapped-accessible highway overpass in Thailand anyplace else?

Since when was disabled access high on anyone's list of priorities in Pattaya (hospitals excepted)? One large beach side hotel has motorcycles parked blocking their ramps for wheelchair access. 

Edited by champers

3 hours ago, mark01 said:

Load of Bull s***.

Just another excuse for their delay.

What next? Delay due to choosing colour to pain walls?

No. They remember the hysteria, finger pointing, and phony hand wringing by our TVF schoolmarms when the promenade was being redeveloped that there would be no wheelchair access in front of Mikes Mall. The handicapped were going to have get out in the street!!! Hence that access has just got to be there before it's opened.

I truly hope none of you ever become handicapped or have family members that are. All projects need to have handicap access prior to opening. The BTS in Bangkok is an example of not caring about the handicapped; elderly or the infirm. 

As a driver in Thailand, I am sure you can experience the traffic a little longer so those who are not able bodied can be accommodated. After all- your are driving a vehicle not a wheelchair. How about some understanding.

looks like it's something to do with contract, if they, by opening to traffic, accept/take delivery the tunnel 'as is' now without the pedestrian bridge, the contractor could bugger off without having to build the rest of connected facilities 

At least new traffic lights were installed for Junction to Klang and Siam Country Club, I had dreaded that in the oversight to get things built, they could have forgotten to include them in the contract and since it was dug off at the start of the construction, it'll then be nobody's job to put them back in

hopefully they gonna do something on the old U turns,today i came from noen ploeb wan on Sukemvith and took te U turn to go to the home pro on the other side,and nearly dissapeared in the potholes between the 2 lanes,also at the end of noen ploeb wan on Sukemvith its horrible,only potholes and loose sand, very dangerous at this crossing

handicap noun

UK  /ˈhæn.dɪ.kæp/ US  /ˈhæn.dɪ.kæp/

handicap noun (CONDITION)

[ C or U ] old-fashioned a condition in which part of your body or mind has been permanently damaged or does not work normally. This word is now considered offensive by many people, who prefer the word disability:

Sorry, I am not sensitive, but I find the headline offensive.

4 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

handicap noun

UK  /ˈhæn.dɪ.kæp/ US  /ˈhæn.dɪ.kæp/

handicap noun (CONDITION)

[ C or U ] old-fashioned a condition in which part of your body or mind has been permanently damaged or does not work normally. This word is now considered offensive by many people, who prefer the word disability:

Sorry, I am not sensitive, but I find the headline offensive.

In golf, do they ask "What's your disability?"

Don't make me laugh.

Provisions for handicapped, if there are ever any, are ignored anyhow.

Be it the handicapped parking at the airport or Tesco, or the handicapped lane always blocked by parked cars on soi Yume!

13 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I truly hope none of you ever become handicapped or have family members that are. All projects need to have handicap access prior to opening. The BTS in Bangkok is an example of not caring about the handicapped; elderly or the infirm. 

As a driver in Thailand, I am sure you can experience the traffic a little longer so those who are not able bodied can be accommodated. After all- your are driving a vehicle not a wheelchair. How about some understanding.

While i agree that it must be terrible to be disabled , why should thousands and thousands of people be so put out ,because they have not built a disabled bridge , there are no other ones in Pattaya ,once again i am truly sorry for anyone with a disability ,

The whole process from a stupid plan to execution of simple tasks has been fraught with corruption and incompetence from start to finish.  It has bankrupted businesses on side roads; inconvenienced hundreds of thousands of motorists, yet for a fraction of the time and cost, an over pass could have been built.

1 hour ago, i claudius said:

While i agree that it must be terrible to be disabled , why should thousands and thousands of people be so put out ,because they have not built a disabled bridge , there are no other ones in Pattaya ,once again i am truly sorry for anyone with a disability ,

Well maybe this is a good start, then.

Since when is "it's never been done before" a good excuse for not doing something?

17 hours ago, yankee99 said:

The East lane of sukhumvit south bound is tore up half the length of the tunnel

exactly!  I see little advantage in the provision of a bridge for the handicapped at the entrance to the tunnel when to actually reach it the handicapped are forced to share the road (and even that isn't in a great state of repair) with trucks, buses cars and motorbikes because the sidewalk doesn't even exist:blink:

16 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Try to go by wheelchair in Pattaya! How will they ever come TO a lift? 

In the middle of the streets?

1 hour ago, gintis0604 said:

Try to go by wheelchair in Pattaya! How will they ever come TO a lift? 

In the middle of the streets?

that is impossible to even visualise

but then try to even imagine someone on a mobility scooter on the lame excuse for a road surface on Sukhumvit Road itself (because there is no  sidewalk ) with big buses on your tail

This town is so filled with corrupt projects in boggles the mind. From the scam job building the marina that never opened to a totally unneeded tunnel that never opens. The public never questions the Hugh amounts of graft that <deleted> up the whole job!!!

Well maybe this is a good start, then.

Since when is "it's never been done before" a good excuse for not doing something?

I did not say they shouldnt do it ,they should ,what i said is why should thousands of people be put out while they are building it ? Just open the underpass,why wait.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app