Netiwit shaken but defiant after threatening incident on Chula campus

snoop1130

Netiwit shaken but defiant after threatening incident on Chula campus

By The Nation

7d30184fe6f841ffdfb5ca5727f9451e-sld.jpeg

Two suspicious men on a motorcycle sought out young activist Netiwit Chotiphatphaisal on Monday, prompting the controversial Chulalongkorn University freshman to report the incident to the police.

The activist, meanwhile, wrote on his Facebook: “I am afraid, but I will continue fighting.”

The two men appeared outside the canteen of the university’s Faculty of Political Science and shouted in a threatening manner, asking where Netiwit was, but then took off on their motorcycle when they received no response.

Netiwit filed a report with the police for personal-safety reasons after learning of the incident.

A surveillance camera at the faculty showed one of the men wearing a blue t-shirt, trousers and full helmet, while the other was clad in a student uniform-like white shirt and trousers.

The police said they would pass the matter to an investigator and seek to find the two individuals.

Netiwit posted on his Facebook page, discouraging violence and asking for a chance to prove himself.

“Give me as a person in the younger generation a chance to prove myself. You can disagree, but we should talk about it,” he wrote. “If you really love Thai society, do not show the world the barbarian side or resort to violence.”

While admitting that he felt intimidated by the incident, the young activist encouraged non-violence and urged opponents to use love to win over hate, and to respect people’s rights.

“Old and young people must talk and stop dominating,” Netiwit wrote. “We have to help one another. People who are elected must be safe in this country.”

At a time when France had just elected its youngest-ever president, Netiwit raised the question of whether Thailand “would continue to sink yet further” in terms of how young people that are elected to office are perceived and treated.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30314629

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-5-8

Yes, this chap looks especially susceptible to rare blood disorders, lead poisoning or getting "lost" in the forest where those other "Activists" always get lost.

If running the sort of "government" currently in vogue then you cannot allow one, single act of defiance - eating a sandwich, reading a book, taking a train, questioning "authority" - or the whole house of cards may come tumbling down.

How can you fault anything he says? He asks for openness, fairness and dialogue. Act like mature adults and not like children. 

Keep up the good work. Get the people on your side, and the authorities will be too scared to arrest you for advocating fairness and composure. Unfortunately, in a country with no checks and balances, it would also be easy for him to go missing and be forgotten about after a few weeks. 

It's just the beginning for young Netiwit. If he wants to continue down this path, he's going to have to grow a pair of b***s. Suspicious blokes on bikes calling out his name is pretty harmless compared to what some people are capable of ... 

A first year student at 21....now in the spotlight for not following old customs and of course speaking out....and he'll be hounded for ever now....next will be AA, then the far right will make a move on him...and any of his followers.

Thailand needs lots of people like this kid, but the establishment screws them!

4 hours ago, djayz said:

It's just the beginning for young Netiwit. If he wants to continue down this path, he's going to have to grow a pair of b***s. Suspicious blokes on bikes calling out his name is pretty harmless compared to what some people are capable of ... 

What a big man you must be. In my view what he stands for already and what he has said already shows that his gonads are more then sufficient. All power to him and those like him. 

7 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

What a big man you must be. In my view what he stands for already and what he has said already shows that his gonads are more then sufficient. All power to him and those like him. 

Just a moment Jane! You misunderstood my comment. I have nothing but the absolute respect for him and his kind which is a lot more than I can say for some slapper jumping on the key board mouthing off!

The point I tried making eas that if he wants to stand out from the crowd, he's going to have to get used to suspicious bullies turning up calling his name - and a whole lot worse than that. 

History has shown that people who stand up to the powers that be, are often letting themselves in for a lot bumpy ride. 

59 minutes ago, halloween said:

Exactly what offence are the BIB investigating? If I were to report to the BIB that 2 men on a motorcycle pulled up at my local and asked where I was, should I expect a prompt investigation?

Given the circumstances and context, yes.

On 2017/5/8 at 6:18 PM, MarkusAUST said:

I can see him being an influential person in Government in years to come, IF he can stay alive and out of jail.

You mean becoming a crook to join them is that what you meant? Say one of the rich man who influences the government offer his beautiful daughter to him for marriage and a post in the government, then thereafter you hear no more because the government takes good care of him. Thais like to discuss problems until deadlock then they pull the pistol out.

6 hours ago, halloween said:

Exactly what offence are the BIB investigating? If I were to report to the BIB that 2 men on a motorcycle pulled up at my local and asked where I was, should I expect a prompt investigation?

The point is , he has to keep it open and as publicised as possible. His protection is in the number of people that are watching to see what happens.

11 hours ago, cmsally said:

The point is , he has to keep it open and as publicised as possible. His protection is in the number of people that are watching to see what happens.

He's certainly not publicity shy, is he? To me, the whole thing smacks of a publicity stunt, based on a storm in a teacup.

1 hour ago, halloween said:

He's certainly not publicity shy, is he? To me, the whole thing smacks of a publicity stunt, based on a storm in a teacup.

No, not a publicity stunt,if he has someone threatening him, his protection will be in having as many people know about it as possible. This is his only means of defense, not wise for him to keep quiet.