NRSA to discuss security as police protect nation from WannaCry

webfact

NRSA to discuss security as police protect nation from WannaCry

BANGKOK, 15 May 2017 (NNT) – The National Reform Steering Assembly (NRSA) is to consider legislation to do with the nation’s cyber security as police assure a piece of ransomware plaguing computers around the world has yet to be detected in Thailand. 

Deputy Spokesman for the Royal Thai Police Pol Col Ake Krisanapattanacharoen has stated the national police chief has ordered all agencies to be careful in downloading data from the Internet and to be mindful of state data due to the proliferation of the ransomware dubbed “Wanna Cry”, which has attacked computers in 99 countries, including in Europe and Russia. 

On protection measures for Thailand, the deputy spokesman said both the Technology Crime Suppression Division (TCSD) and the Police Office of Information and Communication Technology have been keeping an eye on the situation. Neither agency has yet found any instances of the virus but have asked that any citizens infected by the malicious software call 02-143-8448 for assistance. 

The announcement comes as the NRSA is set to discuss legislation to do with cyber security and is likely to focus on adding definitions for needed language as well as adjusting the commission for cyber security.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-15

Microsoft put out a patch for XP , But I doubt it will work on a bootleg copy of XP ,

That is one reason it hit Russia so hard , more bootleg XP  operating systems than paid versions

I doubt Microsoft will but out a patch for the bootleg version !

3 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

Microsoft put out a patch for XP , But I doubt it will work on a bootleg copy of XP ,

That is one reason it hit Russia so hard , more bootleg XP  operating systems than paid versions

I doubt Microsoft will but out a patch for the bootleg version !

This virus is sure flushing out the illegal copies of Windows. 

NRSA to consider controversial cyber-security bill
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Reform Steering Council is set to deliberate on a cyber-security bill that seeks to empower a powerful national cyber-security panel to be headed by the prime minister.

It’s one of the two agenda items slated to be debated at the NRSA meeting at Parliament on Monday.

NRSA chairman Tinnapan Nakata reportedly ordered the meeting to be held.

The other item deals with the promotion of the political culture.

The deliberation will take place at a time when cyber-attacks occurred around the word over the past few days. In Thailand, there is an unconfirmed report of a cyber-attack.

Under the draft bill, the panel would have the power to order private firms to disclose information that may compromise cyber-security and to order both state and private organisations to comply with cyber-security moves.

The bill was proposed by an NRSA committee on mass communications reform headed by ACM Kanit Suwannet.

The NRSA bill is based on a cyber-security bill that Cabinet backed in principle and sent for review by the Council of State and for public hearings. But several details in the NRSA bill differ from the version Cabinet endorsed.

The NRSA version defines “cyber” as activities related to computers, computer systems, communication via computers and computer information.

The bill also defines cyber-security as measures and operations for defending and dealing with and tackling threats that affect computer networks, the Internet, telecom networks, satellite uplink and downlink services and public utility services.

The measures aim to promote national stability, military security, peace and economic security.

The NRSA version of the bill proposes setting up a national cyber-security committee (NCSC) headed by the prime minister or a deputy assigned by the PM.

The defence minister would be the first deputy chairman of the NCSC, with the digital economy and society minister the second deputy chairman.

Six more panel members would be permanent secretaries for Defence, Finance, Transport, Energy, Digital Economy and Society, and the Interior. Three other panellists would be the National Intelligence Agency director, the governor of the Bank of Thailand and the secretary general of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission.

The NRSA bill seeks to establish an Office of the NCSC with the status of a department under the supervision of the prime minister.

The bill would empower the new committee to order state agencies or private firms to change, cancel or stop activities deemed threatening national cyber-security.

If state firms refuse to comply with such an order, their heads would be subject to a disciplinary investigation to be decided by the Cabinet.

The NCSC would also be empowered to seek information from state agencies and private firms. If the private firms do not provide the requested information, the NCSC must seek court orders to force them to comply.

Pol Maj-General Pisit Pao- in, deputy chairman of the NRSA committee on mass communications reform, said the bill is not aimed at controlling information and communications, as speculated on social media.

He said the bill aims to prevent cyber-attacks such as malware that affect banking systems.

Source: https://app.sproutsocial.com/feeds/twitter/georgebkk/

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-15

3 hours ago, Fallangpakwan said:

I'm stillrunning a legal version of XP but be damned if I can find the "PATCH" anywere to download; please advise

From Microsoft:  "...Microsoft. “Given the potential impact to customers and their businesses, we made the decision to make the Security Update for platforms in custom support only.”  I would think that only some businesses would have the 'custom support only' :sad:

All I can suggest is that you back up all IMPORTANT data to a stand alone desktop (expansion) drive - having done that then disconnect the drive (usually a USB connection) from your computer to insulate your files from attack. Otherwise be afraid or update to Windows 10.

HTH 

The NRSA version of the bill proposes setting up a national cyber-security committee (NCSC) headed by the prime minister or a deputy assigned by the PM.

I was waiting for the committee. They delivered right on time.

Wish them luck with their illegally cracked versions of Windows.

3 hours ago, Fallangpakwan said:

I'm stillrunning a legal version of XP but be damned if I can find the "PATCH" anywere to download; please advise

Microsoft discontinued support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014.

Good luck with any updates.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Under the draft bill, the panel would have the power to order private firms to disclose information that may compromise cyber-security and to order both state and private organisations to comply with cyber-security moves.

'Yes, the State wants to insure your passwords are adequate, that you have no vulnerable links or favorites that you are accessing unapproved NCPO web sites, etc. We will also want to confirm that you have updated your anti-virus protection, etc. Your financial information will be especially necessary for review.' 

Sounds like a business killer to me.

15 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Actually it didn't in reality. Anyone running WinXP could use a patch (I forget how I did it) to continue MS support for POS devices , including ATMs.

I am still receiving updates to my WinXP (once a month on a Tuesday) and they include non-POS updates.

43 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Yes but the story goes that in this latest case they are going to "PATCH"  XP and other older Windows versions- just to be nice for a change I guess.

25 minutes ago, khunken said:

Actually it didn't in reality. Anyone running WinXP could use a patch (I forget how I did it) to continue MS support for POS devices , including ATMs.

I am still receiving updates to my WinXP (once a month on a Tuesday) and they include non-POS updates.

That sounds good, bet I can't do it.

I would hope Governments don't use this attack to curtail people's rights,even more

like they use the terror threats to pass laws "for the good of the public",when really

its all about controlling the population.

regards worgeordie

Microsoft can be the Hero by putting out the "patch" for any computer running any Windows version ,
legal or not , no questions asked ,

Maybe let others distribute it ,

Then price a "legal" upgrade for a local affordable price , $10-$20 in much of the world ,

Since they already have the patch and are also patching XP for corporate uses ( mostly machines ) why not let everyone use it.

Another dream that will not hot happen

Cheap Charlies are now getting into problems with their illegal software.

I am only working with original software / official licenses. Next to this I have Norton Security with online back-up for businesses running.