Prayut drops plan for press conference on NCPO’s third anniversary

Prayut drops plan for press conference on NCPO’s third anniversary

By Wasamon Audjarint

The Nation

c78716e6d097075da089387153f35bb1.jpeg

Despite an earlier plan to do so, the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) will not hold a press conference on the occasion of its third anniversary next Monday, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Tuesday.

Prayut said a single press conference would be held in September, when the junta government has its own anniversary, as he considered that the two bodies should not be regarded separately. 

“We work together.

The NCPO serves as a supporter, not a commander, to the government,” he added.

The premier went on to say that people’s well-being, and especially those with low incomes, remained the priority for the government and the NCPO. 

However, he said, they had focused on a restructuring approach rather than stimulus policies involving the provision of money.

The PM acknowledged, however, that such an approach might not be widely appreciated. “But how can we seek money to subsidise everything?” he said rhetorically. “We just do as much as the budget allows us to do.”

The national-budget issue came to the fore recently following figures showing that treasury reserves had hit a decade low in January, sinking to Bt74.9 billion. 

Despite this, the Cabinet approved a series of military hardware procurements, one of which was the Bt13.5-billion Chinese-submarine purchase that would bind Thailand for seven years.

As Prayut said, the ruling junta has focused its main effort on so-called reforms, to the extent that they became the working theme of this authority. 

The parliamentary National Reform Steering Assembly, governmental committees and several actions under Article 44 of the former charter have all been used to work on holistic reforms.

Still, these NCPO-focused attempts have been doubted as to whether they can truly bring effective reform, otherwise they could just as well be authoritarian tools. 

This also relates to concerns that the NCPO may want to remain in power after a democratic general election is held.

“I do worry about this country. But I don’t worry much about democracy,” the premier said. “This is because democracy is already there. I don’t think the [coming] election will be any different from the past.

“What are we going to do if we get the same troublemakers [after the election]?” he added. “Still, an election needs to happen. This country shouldn’t return to the same format of democracy. Every single person needs to participate in designing future paths together.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315430

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-5-16

Sensible move given the government and NCPO are one and the same thing, to all intents and purposes.

The rest just him rambling on as usual. Nothing to say, but I'll say it anyway...

Edited by baboon

because democracy is already there

Well if it is its a new form relative to those who never understood the word or ever will by the looks of things

reserves at a low in Jan, even lower now

We need more farangs doing border runs, yep that will do it along with them dumping lots of cash in our banks and subs tanks and aircraft to defend the country against the rubbish that never gets put in the bins, because bins are expensive to maintain.

I wonder what he takes to sleep at night, whatever it is, it delivers weird dreams

Utter codswallop

They can't really hold a big song and dance, when they don't have a single thing to sing and dance about.

Keeping Facebook online and averting questions about plaques and submarines have taken their toll on the pat-oneself-on-the-back awards.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Prayut drops plans for press conference, due to the fact that when questioned about their achievements in the last 3 years, it would be embarrassing,  to have to say sweet f... all.

I think after publicising and making a Facebook post go viral around the world he wants to lay low and avoid scrutiny of what he has done.

It would have a been the shortest press conference anyway.

It seems like the Junta is on their back foot these days.

Maybe he could just pen a new song to highlight three years of accomplishments? I guess it would be an instrumental?

Edited by mtls2005

Cant have a press conference when you really have nothing to say can you? Government is nearly broke To many government officals have there snouts in the trough But we got a great deal on the subs Now that is something to talk about right We hate the Farang here and we wish they go home but we cant because we like taking there money I think that about sums it up

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Prayut drops plans for press conference, due to the fact that when questioned about their achievements in the last 3 years, it would be embarrassing,  to have to say sweet f... all.

But.....but....3 submarines for the price of 2.......everyone's a winner!

This is positive ... at least Napoleon won't interrupt transmission of international tennis on the pay TV channel as he did in the past to tell the nation and the expats how he is bringing back happiness to the Thai people....

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The PM acknowledged, however, that such an approach might not be widely appreciated. “But how can we seek money to subsidise everything?” he said rhetorically. “We just do as much as the budget allows us to do.”

To be honest, that sounds fair enough.

Well, if money hadn't been spent on aquatic submersible military devises it would anyway

Edited by Bluespunk

As much as I despise this government, I think it wrong to say that they have not done anything.  They have certainly streamlined how the civil service operates, cut out a lot of deadwood, and put timelines on how long most tasks must take. In the past, you would never know when something would be ready, or how long it would take, resulting in shed loads of tea money passing hands to get things done. Now if things are not completed within the fixed time-frame you are able to file formal complaints against those involved.  As a result all my interactions with the land department, district office, trademark office, and others have been smooth and you know in advance how long things will take (with no need to grease palms). This is a far cry from the past. Nevertheless, I am not saying corruption is a thing of the past, it is just less pervasive for Mr. Average person. Now if they could just do something about the police. 

In any case, I would hazard a guess that most of the posters have little or no direct interaction with the civil service, with the exception of immigration (which I know for a fact is still exceedingly corrupt), so have probably not seen any improvement in their daily lives.