where and how to get Thai driver's permit 1st time

I am told that I must obtain a Thai driving permit.  But how?  and where? I have a retirement visa and papers from the police to show that I live in my new home near Buriram that I built during the last year.  I have a French new EU style plastic permit that is valid forever and a copy of a int'l permit about 6 months old.  I have a UK passport.   What to do and where to go?  I have been told that I can just show/give my French permit and the authorities will just hand over a Thai permit.  Ditto but I show int'l permit.  OR been told I can take some simple test and get a permit.  Also that test can be in English.  Also heard that I have 6 months to get Thai permit following my last entry stamp or get a big fine.  I have been stopped a few times at check points on the road and the police look at my French permit and wave me on.  Where in Buriram city must I go and besides 2 photos what must I take and what must I do?    Please.  Thank you very much in advance.

I am sure they will NOT hand you a Thai Driving Licence without doing the tests that are required.

1.The reaction test /colour blind test.

2.Watch the 1 hour road safety video

3.Take the 100 question test ,and if you want a bike licence you will have to do the test 2 times, you can easily find the answers on the internet ,Google Thai driving test and you can practice there I would do this as some questions are very confusing and if you fail 2 times on that day you need to go back again till you pass there is no brown envelopes passed around, well there wasn't at the government driving building I was at.

I wouldn't say its simple and it is in English,it will be simple if you practice ,I did and it took me 20 minutes to finish it but some time people are there for 90 minutes trying to finish the test, and many people fail this test as well.So up to you what you want to do.

4.There will be a little driving area that you will need to take a car and show them you can actually  drive in a safe manner, and reverse into a coned off area, stop in there and pull out ,and indicate when you are pulling out of that area, and if you do the bike bit as well you will need to balance over the plank of wood the rest of it is pretty easy.

5.Take your a passport ,your driving licences you have but they won't help unless you get a letter from your Embassy stating your licence you have is genuine, and your residence certificate from your local Immigration office.

You will need to go to your local driving government office to do this test, maybe you will be asked to show a residence certificate as well to obtain the licence and if this is your first 1 it will be valid for 2 years when you get it issued, and there is a fee also for this.I think its around 500 bhat ,but there will be a price list posted somewhere in the building.

13 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

I am sure they will NOT hand you a Thai Driving Licence without doing the tests that are required.

1.The reaction test /colour blind test.

2.Watch the 1 hour road safety video

3.Take the 100 question test ,and if you want a bike licence you will have to do the test 2 times, you can easily find the answers on the internet ,Google Thai driving test and you can practice there I would do this as some questions are very confusing and if you fail 2 times on that day you need to go back again till you pass there is no brown envelopes passed around, well there wasn't at the government driving building I was at.

I wouldn't say its simple and it is in English,it will be simple if you practice ,I did and it took me 20 minutes to finish it but some time people are there for 90 minutes trying to finish the test, and many people fail this test as well.So up to you what you want to do.

4.There will be a little driving area that you will need to take a car and show them you can actually  drive in a safe manner, and reverse into a coned off area, stop in there and pull out ,and indicate when you are pulling out of that area, and if you do the bike bit as well you will need to balance over the plank of wood the rest of it is pretty easy.

5.Take your a passport ,your driving licences you have but they won't help unless you get a letter from your Embassy stating your licence you have is genuine, and your residence certificate from your local Immigration office.

You will need to go to your local driving government office to do this test, maybe you will be asked to show a residence certificate as well to obtain the licence and if this is your first 1 it will be valid for 2 years when you get it issued, and there is a fee also for this.I think its around 500 bhat ,but there will be a price list posted somewhere in the building.

No driving test is required if you exchange an existing UK/European license.

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

No driving test is required if you exchange an existing UK/European license.

You are wrong ,if this is your first time getting a Thai driving licence it is required that you do the test.

Even if you are changing your 2 year for 5 year ,you still need to do the reaction test /colour blind test.

5 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

You are wrong ,if this is your first time getting a Thai driving licence it is required that you do the test.

Even if you are changing your 2 year for 5 year ,you still need to do the reaction test /colour blind test.

The reaction test /colour blind test is not a driving test!

6 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

He said driving test, and he's correct. You don't need to do a driving test, only the colour, reaction and perception tests.

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

He said driving test, and he's correct. You don't need to do a driving test, only the colour, reaction and perception tests.

He is not correct and neither are you.

The OP will have to do the driving test since he doesn't already have a Thai driving licence ,but lets see what he reports back rather than go back and forth.

I am relating to my own experience ,as I have a UK driving licence as well and I had to do the test with the 100 questions twice as I got a bike licence as well and watch the video and all the other things I have stated.

And there was at least 10 other falangs who also had to do the same thing on the day I went .

This was  while i was in Pattaya but the driving centre government building is outside of Pattaya.

And when I got my 5 year licence 2 months ago all I had to do was show residence certificate and the colour blind test and the licence was issued.

Edited by paul18620

1 minute ago, paul18620 said:

He is not correct and neither are you.

The OP will have to do the driving test since he doesn't already have a Thai driving licence ,but lets see what he reports back rather than go back and forth.

I am relating to my own experience ,as I have a UK driving licence as well and I had to do the test with the 100 questions and watch the video and all the other things i have stated.And when I got my 5 year licence 2 months ago all I had to do was show residence certificate and the colour blind test and the licence was issued.

And there was at least 10 other falangs who also had to do the same thing on the day I went .

This was  while i was in Pattaya but the driving centre government building is outside of Pattaya.

You seem to still not understand that the driving test is the physical act of getting into a vehicle/onto a bike and driving around a circuit behind the building to prove you can actually drive!

Now PLEASE!!!!

I got my 1st Thai driving license in January 2017, I had a valid uk license and an IDP , I had a simple medical certificate, residence certificate and did the 3 tests ( colour, reaction and depth) .

If your home country license is expired or not in English ( + no IDP ) then you will have to do the practical ( driving ) test and watch a video.

My old visa agent in Cambodia made me an offer for a license there (no tests, etc) using my old, expired US-license.  If I went back and got one, would it be valid here in Thailand? 

Edit: I assume they have an "international" version.

Edited by JackThompson

To the OP:

you have almost all that is needed to convert your French DL to a Thai DL.

Only document needed additionally is the health certificate.

Easily available at about every clinic for about 100 Baht in an instant, no examination.

The IDP is only 6 months old and so still valid (assuming "copy" means you have the original IDP at hand).

With the IDP the process is easiest.

All you have to do are the physical tests (reaction test, color blindness test, peripheral vision test) and maybe sit and watch some boring video.

See also post #12 from Andrew Dwyer.

It's completely wrong that you have to do the theory test (50 questions) or driving test with your preconditions.

Theory and driving test are required if you do a DL from scratch, having nothing from your home country.

In 2011 I got my Thai DL based on German IDP without any tests. But that is surely exceptional.

Physical tests are mandatory.

The first license will be a temporary license valid for two years. After that you apply for a "5 year" license.

Similar process just not based on IDP but on your temporary Thai DL.

3 hours ago, notrub said:

Where in Buriram city must I go and besides 2 photos what must I take and what must I do?

The office is the Department of Land Transport (DLT).

No photos required, they take your photo just before printing the plastic card.

Passport, IDP and French DL, residence certificate and health certificate. They will require photocopies of about everything.

Can usually be done at shops/stalls near the office.

let me search for the location...

This is a street view and map of the Buriram DLT:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/สำนักงาน+ขนส่งจังหวัดบุรีรัมย์/@14.9527598,103.0924008,3a,90y,94.08h,79.65t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sgMKTly2POtwCP2jGPTfwSg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DgMKTly2POtwCP2jGPTfwSg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D93.150444%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!9m2!1b1!2i41!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x2f87f39982e9f017!8m2!3d14.9527338!4d103.0926883

Coordinates: 14.9527598,103.0924008

It's somewhere on the Buriram - Prakhon Chai rd. (#2445) within Buriram city.

(215/4 Moo 11,  Buriram - Prakhon Chai rd.)

BTW: is your French license valid for car and motorbike?
In Thailand you need/get two separate licenses (plastic cards) for each.

I understand you will need two residence certificates if you apply for bike and car license.
Someone please correct me if this is wrong.

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I understand you will need two residence certificates if you apply for bike and car license.
Someone please correct me if this is wrong.

I don't know from experience but read it in the forum.

Somewhat strange but it's Thai bureaucracy, what can you do.

Best to ask in this case.

Thai Driving Licence:

The day after I went to Land of Transport office.

All they asked was :

- a copy of the passport and immigration card

- a certificate of residence

- 2 photos

- a medical certificate from a Dr with me for DL. It's mandatory !!!  It costed me 120 Baht

They asked me if I had a DL from home, I said no. As I wanted to keep mine, I was afraid they would say that I should just change it.... It was mistake, cause if you give a copy of your home DL, you would skip the driving test and still get the Thai DL. I heard that after passing the test...

Anyway, I got an appointment. 3 weeks later I went at 8 o'clock, We sat in a room for 5 hours, watched a DvD about many rules of driving in LoS, was like 5 hours of theory. After we took the driving test and then the written test with 50 questions. 20 minutes later I got the Thai DL, costs 205 Baht valid for 2 years.....

9 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

They asked me if I had a DL from home, I said no. As I wanted to keep mine, I was afraid they would say that I should just change it.... It was mistake, cause if you give a copy of your home DL, you would skip the driving test and still get the Thai DL.

Yes, big mistake.

They won't confiscate :happy:

I'm on my second 5 year now. I remember when first applying for  a licence here the fact that I brought an IDP with my UK licence meant that I didn't need to do anything except the eye sight and reaction tests.  

As stated look at the second sticky ... all the info is in that so no need for another 22 posts ... woops I have just joined...

8 minutes ago, madhav said:

Is it an absolute that one must have a letter from your consulate stating your drivers licence (in my case Australian) is a genuine and not counterfeit?

I've never heard of that rule before and I'm on my second five year license.

1 hour ago, madhav said:

Is it an absolute that one must have a letter from your consulate stating your drivers licence (in my case Australian) is a genuine and not counterfeit?

At least it's not the norm.

If it happens it's quite abusive.

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

At least it's not the norm.

If it happens it's quite abusive.

Samui.

Very annoying because it forces me to do the whole process from start to finish or go to Bangkok and spend more money and time. Tempted to just go on photoshop and make something up to satisfy their strange request.

1 hour ago, madhav said:

Samui.

Very annoying because it forces me to do the whole process from start to finish or go to Bangkok and spend more money and time. Tempted to just go on photoshop and make something up to satisfy their strange request.

If they catch you out it could get serious. Your Aussie drivers licence has a photo of you on it doesn't it? Never heard of an Embassy being asked to validate a drivers licence.

54 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If they catch you out it could get serious. Your Aussie drivers licence has a photo of you on it doesn't it? Never heard of an Embassy being asked to validate a drivers licence.

They would never check. However I wouldn't do it anyhow. I will probably just go through with the full test, because what other options do I have when the head of the department is the one asking? I guess I could go to a different provence. 

• 2 months later...

I have a full UK driving licence Bike and Car,I want to get a Thai licence but my IDP runs out 5th of August,will go to immigration on Monday to get proof of residence which I know takes a few weeks.

So by the time that arrives my IDP will have ran out so is it too late or will my Full UK licence suffice?

11 minutes ago, jimbob333 said:

I have a full UK driving licence Bike and Car,I want to get a Thai licence but my IDP runs out 5th of August,will go to immigration on Monday to get proof of residence which I know takes a few weeks.

So by the time that arrives my IDP will have ran out so is it too late or will my Full UK licence suffice?

Resident letter is issued same day by immigration, at least it is in Jomtien.