Termite Beasts - Will This Work?

Formaleins

In my last post regarding how bad things come along in threes, well maybe today I may have had a bit of luck!

Was at Global House going to by another 3180 Baht container of Chaindrite to try to stop these damn termites when a rather well informed (rather unusual) member of staff cam up and asked why I was buying it.

When I told him the problems we were having with the termites he pointed out this product by Beger / Bayer. He was being helpful as he could have let me buy the 3180 Baht Chaindrite, but he said this stuff was better and it was 1600 Baht.

Apparently you mix the 250mL. of chemical into 100 Litres of water then treat the soil / house. He said the termites eat it or spread it and it then gets back to the nest and kills them all, hopefully with a really slow painful terrible death.

My Thai is not too good at understanding this stuff and my wife is useless, so if anyone has any experience of using this please feel free to chirp up and give me your two Bob's  worth.

My intention is to get masked up and spray all of the inside of our loft, gypsum etc. with lashings of this stuff so that if it doesn't poison the b@stards it might just drown them.

Take a look at the pictures and the product sheet, let me know if you have used it with or without success.

Thanks!

http://www.beger.co.th/ecatalog/show2/229

Bager-1.jpg

Beger-2.jpg

7 minutes ago, tonray said:

treating the soil outside the perimeter of the house is key....the colony and the queen live underground...soil drench after digging a narrow 2 cm deep trench all around

Thanks, I should have done that years ago, but now they are inside and I have to find a way of killing them.

Just now, Formaleins said:

Thanks, I should have done that years ago, but now they are inside and I have to find a way of killing them.

They don't stay inside...they feed and use tubes made of mud/soil to travel between their nests underground and your house. If you can find the tubes stuck to the wall you can find their paths to their underground lair.

IMAG0678.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonray said:

They don't stay inside...they feed and use tubes made of mud/soil to travel between their nests underground and your house. If you can find the tubes stuck to the wall you can find their paths to their underground lair.

IMAG0678.jpg

Thing is though, if they move up these tubes into the house and then you get millions of them up in your roof or wherever, then you cut off their supply tubes.....what happens next? This is what seems to be happening for me.

They are stuck up in the roof cavity and it is a big dark space it is over 160 square metres foot print with a 4 metre rise at the centre.

There is probably nowhere for them to go so they just start eating anything.  (just guessing by the way - as they are not eating the wood only ruining the gypsum in certain areas.

Wow, that Beger SC 200 sure looks good. The video is a minor masterpiece of simple, clear instruction without extraneous flashiness. Wish I had such back in USA when I had a bad, very expensive case requiring wrapping the entire house in plastic.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

For 3150 or 1600 Baht wouldn't it be easier to get a bloke in?  There are many termite/pest companies around.

It isn't anywhere near that sort of price to get someone who knows what they are doing.  We had a guy that was pretty OK but he never contacted us again and we lost his details during the house build.

I contacted Rentokil and for them to do a walk around spray of the perimeter of the house and a 1 off spray of the inside - plus two follow up walk and sprays (takes less than 20 minutes) They wanted 23,000 Baht!!!

I bought a new Honda GX200 and a new high pressure spray pump along with spray lance and 100 metres of tubing + 6360 Bahts worth of Chaindrite (10 litres) for less than 18K - I now have it for as long as it lasts, it has multiple uses, spraying weedkiller, spraying trees etc. maybe even pressure washing.

So no, I won't be bringing in anyone for that type of money. 

If I want someone to do the labour, I can get them at 300 Baht a day and let them use the kit.

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:31 PM, Formaleins said:

It isn't anywhere near that sort of price to get someone who knows what they are doing.  We had a guy that was pretty OK but he never contacted us again and we lost his details during the house build.

I contacted Rentokil and for them to do a walk around spray of the perimeter of the house and a 1 off spray of the inside - plus two follow up walk and sprays (takes less than 20 minutes) They wanted 23,000 Baht!!!

I bought a new Honda GX200 and a new high pressure spray pump along with spray lance and 100 metres of tubing + 6360 Bahts worth of Chaindrite (10 litres) for less than 18K - I now have it for as long as it lasts, it has multiple uses, spraying weedkiller, spraying trees etc. maybe even pressure washing.

So no, I won't be bringing in anyone for that type of money. 

If I want someone to do the labour, I can get them at 300 Baht a day and let them use the kit.

Let us know how much your new ceiling and decorations cost..............

Seriously I hope it works for you. I would not suggest you use Rentokil but finding someone recommended who knows what they are doing may save you a lot in the long run - and you can then use the stuff you bought to keep them away for the future.

I am going to shoot down all the above "wonder solutions" make you think again  about spending ridiculous money time after time.

This idea of treating the perimeter with a trench?????  I am imagining a moat or something similar to barbed wire or even a wall to keep wartime soldiers out......so instead they parachuted in beyond enemy lines!!

why do you think that will work??

It will work for ants and thats all.

Termites fly, yes they fly so no matter what you do to treat the perimeter, the grass, the roof, every time its about to rain heavy you will get millions of the termites flying  into your property....attracted by every light source.

These flying termites are the kings and queens. these are the big termites that fly to mate. Their wings can only carry them for a few minutes before they have to take refuge where they land.....your decking, your fence, your roof your nice lawn....infact everywhere that you have not treated.

These queens now need to make a new colony inside your protected boundary perimeter and they will no problem, sometimes soil sometimes wood.

My take on it is that you have to remove the food source or treat the food source. That  food source is wood, softwood, dead tree roots, discarded paper cardboard.

So if you have a wooden house,  windows,fence then you should spend your money staining it. The stain will kill any insect that tries to nibble. Thats a more effective way to spend your money.

From my experience and I live in a wooden house. it has been stained over 5 years ago to my knowledge, a lot of hardwood in it also but its never had a problem with termites at all.

I have a cheap wooden table and 4 chairs and they are all stained and have been outside on my timber decking for 4 years. never even touched by insects.

My perimeter fence, shera boards on softwood timber rails, about 75m long.

We paid the termite sprayer about 500bt every month for  two years just to do the fence. In 4 years its literally fallen down together with the lighting cables so its a masonry wall now. 

Money wasted really on the sprayers because they simply kill what is there at that moment and its hardly thorough is it?

if you protect their food source you will not see many termites around, they are probably enjoying your neighbours house instead.

• Like 2

One pest control service we used here put some traps into the ground - wood baited with something that apparently rotted away the termites 'teeth' after they'd chewed on it, so they won't be able to eat anymore and they all die off. Never discovered if this was true or not (we moved out of the house) but I liked the idea !

I've been treating my home via built-in foundation pipes with Bayer Premise SC 200 which is an identical product to the Beger product the OP posted.  Been doing it around every 3 years for about 9 years now here in Bangkok.   Buy it has Global or HomePro for approx Bt1600 for 250ml bottle.  Mix with with 100L of water.    I inject the 100L of treated water into the built-in foundation pipes specifically to treat for terminates under the foundation.   Have never had a termite....while my neighbors have terminates all the time and they pay folks to come out and treat for termites.

The SC 200 stuff is Imidacloprid based and based on my research a few years ago is better/longer lasting that Fipronil based products which the termite treatment that is used by the companies who come and treat my neighbors's homes.   

Edited by Pib

Was in a HomePro in Bangkok yesterday and saw they sold both the BegerDrite SC200 and the Bayer SC200, just a slightly  different price.  Both use the exact same termiticide  and same amount....see below.  The BegerDrite is a little higher in cost maybe due to the included gloves and/or paying a fee to Bayer to sell the SC200 formulation....don't know.   Physically, the bottles were exactly alike....just the company name and labels were different.

Capture.JPG.4c2a050e6b6320ee09500abe7627932f.JPG

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:59 PM, Pib said:

I've been treating my home via built-in foundation pipes with Bayer Premise SC 200 which is an identical product to the Beger product the OP posted.  Been doing it around every 3 years for about 9 years now here in Bangkok.   Buy it has Global or HomePro for approx Bt1600 for 250ml bottle.  Mix with with 100L of water.    I inject the 100L of treated water into the built-in foundation pipes specifically to treat for terminates under the foundation.   Have never had a termite....while my neighbors have terminates all the time and they pay folks to come out and treat for termites.

The SC 200 stuff is Imidacloprid based and based on my research a few years ago is better/longer lasting that Fipronil based products which the termite treatment that is used by the companies who come and treat my neighbors's homes.   

Pib I remember we had this discussion some years ago but how did you end up injecting the solution into the pipes - did you buy some sort of compressor in the end?

Gravity.  

The professionals that do such treatment will mix a 250ml bottle of termiticide into a 100L barrel and then use a small, portable water pump to pump the 100L into the pipes.  

For me I have an old 20L drinking water bottle and mix-in 50ml of termiticide.  A 250ml bottle allows me to do the mix 5 times.  I then just use a short  hose with one end that goes into the pipe, the other end has a funnel which I hang on a short stepladder, and I empty the 20L bottle into the funnel/hose setup....the treatment flows into the pipes. 

While pressure injection from a small water pump putting out around 3 bars/40psi would probably be better, this setup has worked for me.  There have been times I almost bought a small water pump for around Bt1500 to do the injection/suck from the 20L bottle, but I would only use the pump every 3 years or so.  Just didn't seem worth it to me.

A lot of people thing injection to built-in treatments pipes should happen under pressure and has to spray out the perforated pipes into the ground.  But even under pressure the spray probably wouldn't go out a quarter of inch.  The goal is for the treatment to "soak" into the soil and that soil right around the treatment pipes because a death feeding ground for termites.  

Premise SC200 is a non-repellant termiticide.  All they have to do is to enter that treated area every so briefly, they are poisoned, but not immediately,  and when they continue their moving around under the foundation and interacting with other termites, like at the termites nest(s), they are spreading the poison like a plague.  After a while all the termites are killed off as the termiticide remains active for years in the soil.

It has worked for me over 9 years here at my Bangkok home...I treat every 3 years or so.   The tremiticide is suppose to last around 5 to 7 years in the soil based on my research a couple of years ago, but I treatevery 3 years or so to play it safe since it stays so wet in Thailand due to he tropical environment.  I figure the tropical rains reduce the effectiveness faster than in non-tropical environment.   Anyway, the Bayer SC200 and my injection method (gravity) has worked for me.  

Capture.JPG.c8cb79bc20eb3879287e2f0e7c2c0e01.JPG

3 hours ago, Pib said:

For me I have an old 20L drinking water bottle and mix-in 50ml of termiticide.  A 250ml bottle allows me to do the mix 5 times.  I then just use a short  hose with one end that goes into the pipe, the other end has a funnel which I hang on a short stepladder, and I empty the 20L bottle into the funnel/hose setup....the treatment flows into the pipes. 

Our house is in Rayong Province, with termite activity in the adjoining vacant blocks.  

Up until now, I've been spraying Chaindrite monthly around the boundaries and house perimeters ie. I don't have the 'pipes' to use this method.  On two separate occasions over the past 8 years, the little b*ggers made initial forays into the garden area before being drowned in Chaindrite.

Would it be feasible for me to similarly apply a single dose of SC200 by spray - or does the treatment really need to be applied some distance below ground to be effective??? (if likely effective, I was thinking about maybe treatment with SC200 every 2-3 years, and continuing with Chaindrite (say) every 3/6 months).    

13 minutes ago, dinga said:

Would it be feasible for me to similarly apply a single dose of SC200 by spray - or does the treatment really need to be applied some distance below ground to be effective??? (if likely effective, I was thinking about maybe treatment with SC200 every 2-3 years, and continuing with Chaindrite (say) every 3/6 months).    

You will need to dig a trench 6-12 inches deep around your property.  Lots of stuff on YouTube.

• 6 months later...

I know this thread has kind of died out, but I'm trying to find something for those stinging red ants that leave trails on the soil. Do you think this stuff would work on them as well? I used to use fipronil on ants back in the states and it worked better than anything I have ever used. I'd use it again if I could find it here in Chiang Rai. But with that said, maybe the Beger/Bayer stuff would do just as good of a job. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/4/2018 at 7:06 PM, Snoozy said:

I know this thread has kind of died out, but I'm trying to find something for those stinging red ants that leave trails on the soil. Do you think this stuff would work on them as well? I used to use fipronil on ants back in the states and it worked better than anything I have ever used. I'd use it again if I could find it here in Chiang Rai. But with that said, maybe the Beger/Bayer stuff would do just as good of a job. 

Fipronil by Bayer can be bought off lazada online. Using it for Bait stations,  perimeter dosing. Worked perfectly for me.

It's a dangerous chemical.  Read up first on how to use it everyone. 

Cheers 

• 7 months later...
On 6/4/2017 at 4:36 AM, Pib said:

Gravity.  

The professionals that do such treatment will mix a 250ml bottle of termiticide into a 100L barrel and then use a small, portable water pump to pump the 100L into the pipes.  

While pressure injection from a small water pump putting out around 3 bars/40psi would probably be better, this setup has worked for me.  There have been times I almost bought a small water pump for around Bt1500 to do the injection/suck from the 20L bottle, but I would only use the pump every 3 years or so.  Just didn't seem worth it to me.

A lot of people thing injection to built-in treatments pipes should happen under pressure and has to spray out the perforated pipes into the ground.  But even under pressure the spray probably wouldn't go out a quarter of inch.  The goal is for the treatment to "soak" into the soil and that soil right around the treatment pipes because a death feeding ground for termites.  

Premise SC200 is a non-repellant termiticide.  All they have to do is to enter that treated area every so briefly, they are poisoned, but not immediately,  and when they continue their moving around under the foundation and interacting with other termites, like at the termites nest(s), they are spreading the poison like a plague.  After a while all the termites are killed off as the termiticide remains active for years in the soil.

It has worked for me over 9 years here at my Bangkok home...I treat every 3 years or so.   The tremiticide is suppose to last around 5 to 7 years in the soil based on my research a couple of years ago, but I treatevery 3 years or so to play it safe since it stays so wet in Thailand due to he tropical environment.  I figure the tropical rains reduce the effectiveness faster than in non-tropical environment.   Anyway, the Bayer SC200 and my injection method (gravity) has worked for me.  

Capture.JPG.c8cb79bc20eb3879287e2f0e7c2c0e01.JPG

On 5/18/2017 at 10:03 AM, Formaleins said:

Thank you for that, very interesting and very informative.....let the war begin!

Appreciated thanks!

On 5/29/2017 at 8:59 AM, Pib said:

Does this Bayer Premise SC200 have a strong smell when you apply it? 

Lived in a house before where the landowner had a company come drills holes in the floor and spray and the house had a strong smell for a day or two after that, so does this Bayer SC200 have a strong smell?

I really am having difficulty in believing that a gravity fed sub floor pipe treatment process is going to be effective.

Holding a water bottle up on a ladder???

Just because its going in doesnt mean the solution is coming out of the holes...

A proper sub floor system will consist of a 15mm polypipe, and along that pipe small spray sprinkler heads are screwed in at say every metre..

A small foundation may just have one pipe looping around and it may come back out to the outside wall, so you will see two pipe ends.

A larger foundation may just have a stp end inside the foundation and perhaps 3or 4 exit points.

Each spray head should be able to saturate a 1m diameter area.....provided the water comes in under pressure.

Imagine your hosepipe and you turn the tap down to half....what sort of spray can you achieve at t'other end?

Chances are, your saturation will be concentrated where the holes are nearer the source, at the far end i bet there isnt even water in the pipe.

I would not even entertain a gravity feed unless its coming from a 20m high water tower.

On 5/19/2017 at 10:29 AM, VocalNeal said:

For 3150 or 1600 Baht wouldn't it be easier to get a bloke in?  There are many termite/pest companies around.

True, but many of these companies use very very diluted sprays / liquids and are very unreliable to come regularly.

My Thai son had termites in a new house in Chonburi city, builder and cabinetmaker 'guaranteed' white ants not possible. Quickly it was obvious the built-in furniture was being destroyed. Son got 2 different termite companies to come, achieved nothing, son eventually had all built-in furniture removed to slow them down and he sold the house.

He built a new house in CM quickly termites found in a very big colony just inside our fence. Spray company came, achieved nothing, never ever returned for 30 day spraying.

Neighbors friend recommended BegerDrite, son applied it himself to be sure it was applied and applied correctly. Within a short time colony dead and no sign of termites anywhere but son reapplies the BegerDrite every 6 months. And i'm sure he bought it for way less than 1,7xxBaht a bottle (same size as in photo).  

37 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Neighbors friend recommended BegerDrite, son applied it himself to be sure it was applied and applied correctly. Within a short time colony dead and no sign of termites anywhere but son reapplies the BegerDrite every 6 months. And i'm sure he bought it for way less than 1,7xxBaht a bottle (same size as in photo).  

I remember seeing the Bayer SC200 and BergerDrite SC200 in a Global House hardware store....both around Bt1,700 since they are really identical chemical formulas...just from two different companies.  And the bottles they come in look very similar...of course the labeling is different since they are from two different companies.  Both give identical results since they are identical formulas. 

32 minutes ago, Pib said:

I remember seeing the Bayer SC200 and BergerDrite SC200 in a Global House hardware store....both around Bt1,700 since they are really identical chemical formulas...just from two different companies.  And the bottles they come in look very similar...of course the labeling is different since they are from two different companies.  Both give identical results since they are identical formulas. 

Read back thru this thread and saw where I posted pricing/picture of BergerDrite SC200 and Bayer SC200 in a HomePro store....the BergerDrite was a little more expensive....see below Jun 17 post.

• 6 months later...
On 5/29/2017 at 7:59 PM, Pib said:

On 1/15/2019 at 10:18 PM, stud858 said:

I've used it and 2nd that. No noticeable smell.

But do a whole lot of dead termites smell?

Pib + stud858 do you follow what homepro says with applying the SC 200 with 100 liters of water mixture at a rate of 100 liters per 20 sq.m or do you use less a different application rate?

According to this homepro link the SC 200 should be applied at a rate of 100 liters per 20 sq.m. area or equal to 5 liters per 1 sq.m  https://www.homepro.co.th/homePro/en/Home-Improvement-Paint-Chemical-Solutions-Termite-Removal-%26-Prevention/PREMISE-250CC-200SC-TERMITE-REM-%26-PREV-/p/251924