Chalong Circle Underpass

alansiporin

11 minutes ago, Tapster said:

I know nothing about civil engineering!

Neither do I.  But observing how they've built all the Phuket tunnels to date shows this is how they do it here.  I suspect it's about having the ability to drive over the tunnel as soon as possible - they can easily excavate the ground while cars drive overhead. They do excavate the open air sections.

What I have noticed about setting the roof before excavation of tunnel is that it appears much easier to support the cast.  Wouldn't be nearly as easy if there was no ground under offering that support.  If you're driving down Wiset towards Chalong take a look at how they set the roof just before the circle. 

29 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

Neither do I.  But observing how they've built all the Phuket tunnels to date shows this is how they do it here.  I suspect it's about having the ability to drive over the tunnel as soon as possible - they can easily excavate the ground while cars drive overhead. They do excavate the open air sections.

What I have noticed about setting the roof before excavation of tunnel is that it appears much easier to support the cast.  Wouldn't be nearly as easy if there was no ground under offering that support.  If you're driving down Wiset towards Chalong take a look at how they set the roof just before the circle. 

Wasn't the Tesco Lotus tunnel done differently? Here they had a u-turn system in place with no right turns or traffic across the excavation. At Central they kept the East/West traffic flowing. Remember Chalong has the same contractors as the former.

Again, my engineering knowledge is precisely zero so if I am talking total b0ll0cks please say so.

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Wasn't the Tesco Lotus tunnel done differently? Here they had a u-turn system in place with no right turns or traffic across the excavation. At Central they kept the East/West traffic flowing. Remember Chalong has the same contractors as the former.

Again, my engineering knowledge is precisely zero so if I am talking total b0ll0cks please say so.

I think they only did the U-turn system at Tesco due to the amount of traffic, this way the flow was much better.

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

Wasn't the Tesco Lotus tunnel done differently? Here they had a u-turn system in place with no right turns or traffic across the excavation.

Yeah, sorry my explanation probably sucked.  I expect this to happen also at Chalong, with the added "benefit" that there isn't a lot of space for anything bigger than a small bus/truck to u-turn on Chaofa West, and not much better on Wiset. As for tourist coaches doing u-turns...

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

At Central they kept the East/West traffic flowing.

It's not so long ago now, but I honestly cant remember.  I imagine they had to close it for some short period while they cast the tunnel roof at the crossroads, but I cant recall?  I can remember vividly the Tesco Lotus set-up.

FWIW if you pass Supercheap heading south the road directly outside the shop is now diverted onto the tunnel roof.  Still has earth under, but the load should now be on the roof itself. 

A different company did the Central tunnel. I think they dug the hole first and put the roof on later (may be wrong).

Again from memory, they kept the east west flow open because they had so much area they did half at a time and directed traffic over the other half. Wont be possible at Chalong.

Edit- This is Central from Dec  2013:

444.JPG

Edited by Old Croc

9 hours ago, madmax2 said:

They should have made it a overpass, a lot of the work could have been precast  of site and installed between midnight and 6AM when there is very little traffic

True, but what traffic there is between midnight and 6am are are all drunk / drugged drivers / riders.  Difficult to go over, or under, or around these drivers / riders, between those hours.   :biggrin:

52 minutes ago, pagallim said:

No need to worry, at that time they're all in Patong, seeking audience and counselling from NKM on where they have gone wrong in life, and how Phuket needs to improve it's public transport system.

"and how Phuket needs to improve it's public transport system." - whilst you jest, pag's, Phuket has the most dangerous roads in the world. 

Who knows, you could be next to die on them.

Of course, there is NO direct correlation between the high fatality rate and the lack of proper public transport here, is there????  :crazy::crazy:

I am sure the friends and family of the many deceased and maimed here find your post amusing. 

Keep up the good work.  :post-4641-1156693976:

Edited by NamKangMan

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

"and how Phuket needs to improve it's public transport system." - whilst you jest, pag's, Phuket has the most dangerous roads in the world. 

Who knows, you could be next to die on them.

Of course, there is NO direct correlation between the high fatality rate and the lack of proper public transport here, is there????  :crazy::crazy:

I am sure the friends and family of the many deceased and maimed here find your post amusing. 

Keep up the good work.  :post-4641-1156693976:

Well, what can I say .   How many years have we regular contributors to the Phuket Forum have read and discarded NKM's posts.   He appears to sit in his Patong throne, extolling his wisdom and largesse to wide eyed tourists impressed by his seemingly never ending knowledge of Phuket.   Where are his experiences outside of Patong, ( or even Phuket)?   He claims  to visit Pattaya regularly with friends (???), where are his stories?   C'mon NKM, give us something to wow you for?   At the moment, nothing.  North, south, anywhere,   Give  us your stories?

11 hours ago, pagallim said:

You're a sad man NKM.   Where there has been a tragedy of a visiting traveller or their family, there has always been the utmost support and help offered from the local community.  On one occasion, I myself was involved.  What people find distasteful is someone, like yourself, using someones personal tragedy to 'told you so' story telling.

You can personally attack me all you like Pag's, but the fact is, Phuket's roads are among the most dangerous in the world, if not the most dangerous. Remembering, Phuket province has the highest road death of all provinces in Thailand.  Are you denying this????

In my opinion, the transport mafia here has a lot to do with the above fact, if you disagree, please state why.

As far as a "I told you so story" have you never told people NOT to rent a motor scooter here, particularly if they have never been on a motorbike?  What about hiring a jet ski?  What about buying a property in a bar girl's name.  The list is endless of "I told you so" stories here.  Geez, there are even books written about them on sale at the airports.

How many "Go Fund Me" stories have we read from motorbike accidents here?

Yet, you single out my stance against a criminal enterprise that is indirectly killing people here. 

You are in denial. 

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, RedCardinal said:

No real excuse for bad or drunken driving, but this comes close:

As the car was heading from towards Rawai, it is likely the driver did not realize that there is a construction here as there were no warning lights, signs or barriers to prevent the driver from entering the site. 

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/car-impaled-at-chalong-underpass-construction-site-66052.php#hU0jU6J43oGeyxcR.99

(If any forum member is wondering where they left their car, it can be collected at the Chalong Police station)

Edited by Old Croc
  • Haha 1