PM Prayut warns that election may be postponed if there is no peace in the country

webfact

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

If he is actually following the supposed road map, one would have to suggest he can't read it very well and is going round in circles, hopelessly lost.

Well we all know how totally hopeless the locals are when it come to even the simplest of maps.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Coup, New Constitution,  Yellowshirt, Redshirt.....repeat.

No. I think the red versus yellow thing won't be back for a while. But I do suspect that there's probably a rival faction of career military that is getting restless. When there's a 'career path' bottleneck at the top of the tree, sh!t tends to happen.

"How can election be held if there are still bombings and the use of war weapons, conflicts among the people and the same old problems?”

How can the junta justify its continuation if there are still bombings and the use of war weapons, conflicts among the people and the same old problems?

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Good .....  Thank you Khun Prayuth ....  :wai:

This will be the best outcome for Thailand.

Did you not say there was peace because of the junta and that you felt safe ?  And now you are stating there is not sufficient peace.  Things seem to change often with the apologists and the junta. 

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The rest of the world seems to manage to hold elections, regardless of what is going on in their country, so I fail to see why Thailand is incapable of doing the same.

Yes. UK has a General Election in 2 weeks and a deadly bomb attack yesterday. Terror Threat level has been raised to 'Critical', meaning another incident is expected imminently. Election campaigning was postponed but it will resume soon. The election will go ahead as planned.

But, of course, 'Thailand is different'. 

Prayuth should read the news occasionally and he'll see that many, many other countries manage to continue the democratic process despite the same problems as - or worse than - Thailand.

But what he means is "I like being PM and don't want to subject myself to an election that might boot me out of office".

elections is wrong. it makes populist buy votes, spend money on election campaign (and taking it back by corruption after) and promise to rob the successful minority and share their wealth among incompetent majority.

all elected governments of Thailand were ineffective.

and now a group of people who wants to get power back using ignorant everymen is blowing hospitals...

please, dear Khun Prayut, don't let it happen! don't listen to whining liberals from abroad and their Thai marionettes

9 out of 13 CCTV was out of order in the blast room of the hospital for military personnel and warning letters were sent 3 days ago to the hospitals nearby which did not trigger extra security. Prayut was quick to warn of delay even without knowing all the facts and certainly no evidence. Smell of collusion and false flag. Where is the peace and security promised by the coup leaders. 

15 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Yes. UK has a General Election in 2 weeks and a deadly bomb attack yesterday. Terror Threat level has been raised to 'Critical', meaning another incident is expected imminently. Election campaigning was postponed but it will resume soon. The election will go ahead as planned.

But, of course, 'Thailand is different'. 

Prayuth should read the news occasionally and he'll see that many, many other countries manage to continue the democratic process despite the same problems as - or worse than - Thailand.

But what he means is "I like being PM and don't want to subject myself to an election that might boot me out of office".

Well that does seem to be the underlying and poorly camouflaged excuse doesn't it.

For all its faults, and there are many, the UK is very good at returning to a normal state of affairs as swiftly as possible after tragic events such as manchester. Whereas in Thailand gets in a complete tailspin and politicians and leaders use it to advance their own agendas. 

If you look further back in the UKs history, elections were never once postponed due to the mainland bombing campaign of the IRA in the 70'S and 80's, which were far greater in damage, frequency and sophistication than those slightly inadequate fireworks that have been passed off as bombs in Bangkok in the last couple of weeks. 

Other places such as Iraq, Indian Kashmir, Afghanistan and Southern Sudan have all managed to hold elections under security conditions far, far worse than anything in Thailand has experienced in the past 100 years. Countries which Thailand would consider itself superior to I have no doubt. 

Clearly no excuse or reason to use this as an opportunity to not hold an election.

how convenient; 'peace' as only he can define it; conversations with intelligent thais are now generating laughter when the talk of elections comes up; some even say that the military will stage events to justify staying on

38 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

9 out of 13 CCTV was out of order in the blast room of the hospital for military personnel and warning letters were sent 3 days ago to the hospitals nearby which did not trigger extra security. Prayut was quick to warn of delay even without knowing all the facts and certainly no evidence. Smell of collusion and false flag. Where is the peace and security promised by the coup leaders. 

It is really hard to tell what is going on, as there are not many nimble minds at work.   

Sadly, they just look dumb and not guilty in my opinion. 

Read between the Lines here Guys He says no elections to be held while there are bombings etc So when it is to quiet and there is no excuse not to hold elections The Phone call would go like this PM To bomber command " Detonate some bombs please or i wont have an excuse not to hold elections "

6 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

It is really hard to tell what is going on, as there are not many nimble minds at work.   

Sadly, they just look dumb and not guilty in my opinion. 

Maybe but does expose the fact that he is not total in control. Still smell of an internal conflict and may not be just the military.  

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The rest of the world seems to manage to hold elections, regardless of what is going on in their country, so I fail to see why Thailand is incapable of doing the same.

Yes, but it's just been explained - when everything's perfect, there will be elections but free and fair elections without the military holding the executive power will never happen because that would mean tension between political parties and the possible need for another coup! 

What is implied is that until Thailand becomes like other, more politically advanced countries like say, New Zealand or Switzerland or Canada, it will remain under military rule.

When will this political advancement happen? Look out for pigs flying over a blue moon or birds of different species flying in v shape formation - these will be signs that the change is imminent.

Edited by piersbeckett
punctuation error

There will most definitely not be peace if elections aren't held. What has the cremation of the King got to do with the delay. In the UK they can organise national elections in about 6 weeks!!!

What is he talking about, 'if peace and order are not restored.' There is as much peace and order as he is ever going to get and it is significantly greater than most third world countries. It certainly won't be if elections are further delayed and a date not be set immediately.

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Quick question; do we actually know who did the bomb? I thought we still weren't sure and were merely speculating.

If it was southern insurgents, might it be an idea that the PM steps down, as this is pretty much unprecedented for Bangkok. 

I know there aren't going to be any elections for as long as they can get away with it, but might it be an idea to not dismiss the elections until we know who's behind this?

Prayuth quoted in BKK Post: ""No government conducts a crazy act like that, except those who want to be the government,"

Does that answer your question?

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Not surprising when his 'government' are reported to have spent 85% of Thailand's reserves.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, is reported to be the world's richest monarch with a net worth of around $40 billion.

That's some salary........or not!

Think you're confusing the PM with somebody else.