Air Asia Website - Now Everyone Can Pay More

Kinnock

It is a pain to navigate the Air Asia website for making reservations, but it is certainly possible.  There are no such things as charges "that you cannot remove"...though you do need to constantly be alert, read everything carefully, and make sure you realize what clicking "yes" or "no" on a given question will get you--it's not always what you would think.  Still, I've bought buying tickets from them for years and I've never had a problem getting exactly what I want.  Their service, too, I find nothing to complain about...you get what you pay for.  

I've since given up on Air Asia for my regional SEasian travel for other, more comfortable (and more expensive airlines), but if you want a relatively cheap ticket and don't care about long lines, Air Asia does the trick.  As I get older, though, I've started to value comfort more than saving money...so I'll pay a bit extra for premium seats (which includes a meal and use of a lounge) and flying in/out of Suvarnnabhumi and fly Thai Smile for flying within Thailand, and I'll pay a LOT more now for flying from BKK to get to Phnom Penh and Vientiane on Thai Airways Business class for the seats, lounge, and priority immigration line.

14 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

What about insurance, that used to come on even if you don't want it and was impossible to get round.

Last time I cancelled the booking and went Nok which was about the same price as  with the "options".

Insurance used to be one of the automatic add-ons, but now it's an option (with about four reminders and "are you sure you don't want it?" messages.

• 2 weeks later...

all budget airlines do those things, and AirAsia was certainly not the first one. They rather learned from the likes of Ryanair, Spirit.

And even BA, Lufthansa, KLM do the same thing nowadays - virtually NOTHING is included in their basic fares nowadays.

4 hours ago, THAILIBAN said:

all budget airlines do those things, and AirAsia was certainly not the first one. They rather learned from the likes of Ryanair, Spirit.

And even BA, Lufthansa, KLM do the same thing nowadays - virtually NOTHING is included in their basic fares nowadays.

There is a crucial difference. You ADD charges with those airlines, not have to take them off.

3 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

People here are too old to understand that THEY are the problem, not the websites. So hopeless they are.

Some, many, people are not computer-literate or clever or careful with what they are agreeing to - young as well as those you sarcastically describe as too old. And some airlines exploit that by including charges that you have not asked for nor want and hope you don't notice. It is the digital equivalent of going to a supermarket and the staff adding things to your basket and you having to remove them. It is an underhand practise and why some countries have outlawed it. Thailand might catch up eventually and do the same.

23 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

whats the difference?  u just uncheck a box>>>>>  not a big deal if u can read

The difference is that in western societies opt in is the norm, not opt out.

Personally I also think that opt in is the decent thing to do, and opt out is trying to catch people of guard, which is not nice.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

The difference is that in western societies opt in is the norm, not opt out.

Personally I also think that opt in is the decent thing to do, and opt out is trying to catch people of guard, which is not nice.

Life is unfair. If I could I would make it even more difficult for everybody, so only the bets/strong/smart survive.

22 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Life is unfair. If I could I would make it even more difficult for everybody, so only the bets/strong/smart survive.

So trying to con people out of money is ok to you.

I have other values.

On 6/4/2017 at 3:38 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

There is a crucial difference. You ADD charges with those airlines, not have to take them off.

You are correct... Air Asia is certainly one of the worst for trying to add on hidden charges!!! 

AVOID AIR ASIA 

On 9.6.2017 at 10:06 AM, yooyoo said:

You are correct... Air Asia is certainly one of the worst for trying to add on hidden charges!!! 

AVOID AIR ASIA 

Others can compete like NokAir.

I would not go so far and avoid them just for that.

It's an annoyance that you have to be aware of.

Simply don't be blinded by their 599/699 ads.

Add 30% or so and you won't be disappointed too much.

You will see long haul flight prices from Bangkok to Europe without any checked baggage and without even a basic meal (Norwegian, Eurowings).

Unfair competition but nowadays everywhere.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Others can compete like NokAir.

I would not go so far and avoid them just for that.

It's an annoyance that you have to be aware of.

Simply don't be blinded by their 599/699 ads.

Add 30% or so and you won't be disappointed too much.

You will see long haul flight prices from Bangkok to Europe without any checked baggage and without even a basic meal (Norwegian, Eurowings).

Unfair competition but nowadays everywhere.

Yes, it's a shame, but the budget airlines started a race to the bottom for some airlines.  I noticed that with Business Class on British Airways (they call it 'Club World Weary' or something), you now need to pay to reserve a seat. 

I tried Nok for the first time last week - better than Air Asia in my view, no hidden additions when booking, able to book a seat and even a small snack on board. Cost was same as Air Asia.

5 years ago Air Asia was my first choice, now it is my last.
Just booked Thai Smile Udon Thani to Swampy for 1025B one way, no need to run from DMK to BKK. otherwise often fly Lion Air or Nok. Less hassle to book.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect