Education authority excuses teacher who beat nine year old girl with a stick as just "old school"

webfact

Education authority excuses teacher who beat nine year old girl with a stick as just "old school"

5pmm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

RATCHABURI: -- An education authority in Ratchaburi has excused a teacher who assaulted a little girl who couldn't keep up with her reading.

They said the teacher had retired and just helps out at the school and his methods were from a bygone era.

But though he has been warned about his behavior he has not lost his job and continues to teach.

He has just said sorry to the enraged parent of the girl in the P3 class.

The mother of the child named only as "Toey" said her daughter had only started at the school on May 16th after transferring from one in Prajuab.

She said she came home on Tuesday and later that evening complained of pain in her bottom. It was soon revealed that she had been mercilessly beaten with a stick.

The little girl confirmed that she had been unable to keep up with a reading exercise and that the old teacher had called her out in front of the class and hit her repeatedly.

Mum Thanyalak Kuanthong, 31, was shocked and told Sanook that her daughter was terrified of going back to school to face her tormentor.

She posted horrible images of the wounds inflicted on her daughter on Facebook.

But Songsit Sinpatharakun of the Ratcaburi Region 1 education authority said that the teacher concerned was still in a job.

He said that the teacher had retired but was used as a helper at the school. He was familiar with the era when teachers were allowed to hit children.

He said that he had ordered the school director to call in the teacher and remind him that hitting children was no longer acceptable.

He should give warnings, not hit them with sticks, he said.

He added that the teacher concerned had apologized to the parent of the child.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-25

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just do not understand this mentality; old old old school could refer to primitive times where no real laws existed; what kind of an excuse is 'old school' ? fire him immediately and parents might think of charging him

If my kid came home from school with marks like that, getting sacked would be the least of the teachers worries. Paying his hospital bills and finding somewhere new to live would be far higher up the list.

the teacher should be jailed for assault, why didnt the father beat the living crap out of him. This is beyond a joke, to excuse his actions shows how mentally deficient some thais really are, this isnt old school its outright assault on a young girl, have to wonder if he had his other hand on his d*ck. Her parents need to go to the police and have him charged, he needs to spend time in a cell for this and a huge fine to boot.

Edited by seajae

29 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

If my kid came home from school with marks like that, getting sacked would be the least of the teachers worries. Paying his hospital bills and finding somewhere new to live would be far higher up the list.

I looked at the title of the OP, saw it had 5 replies, and as I was opening it I thought to myself that guaranteed there would already be a reply starting along the lines of 'If my kid' and the rambling on in to talk of 'hospitals and violence'.

You didn't let me down ?

6 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

I looked at the title of the OP, saw it had 5 replies, and as I was opening it I thought to myself that guaranteed there would already be a reply starting along the lines of 'If my kid' and the rambling on in to talk of 'hospitals and violence'.

You didn't let me down ?

So its ok then??

He should be locked up and certainly not be anywhere near kids

Edited by poohy

7 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

You didn't let me down ?

Do you do lottery numbers as well? 

Edited by Slaps

26 minutes ago, seajae said:

the teacher should be jailed for assault, why didnt the father beat the living crap out of him.

Because the old Thai teacher is an old Thai teacher.

Sheeesh. 

The family should thank him for instilling Thai values. 

What authority can the parent request to effectively deal with this situation so that :-

i) the family are compensated and / or the "teacher" is punished

ii) the school or education authority take action so that this particular "teacher" is stopped from doing this

iii) systems are put in place to prevent this happening again throughout Thailand's schools

Head teacher? No.

Education Authority? No.

Police? Won't get involved.

Social services (child protection)? Doesn't exist for cases like this in Thailand

All the parents are left with are Paveena and social media.

I would add that the fierce beating with a stick in a very humiliating way in front of the class with sexual overtones that a young child would not understand for something that was not even wrong has long-lasting negative effects.

I admire, to a degree, the parent's courage for posting this up on Facebook.

But what condemnation of the Thai society as a whole this is that they didn't feel confident enough to march down to the school and confront both teacher and school principle.

It's a prime example of how cowed this society is and how they have a fear of authority.

Edited by Moonlover

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

i just do not understand this mentality; old old old school could refer to primitive times where no real laws existed; what kind of an excuse is 'old school' ? fire him immediately and parents might think of charging him

And how does this help the innocent P3 youngster to develop better reading skills?

A real teacher would have realized this kid needed help and provide the help whilst ensuring the kid is not embarrassed in front of the other kids. 

Criminal.

36 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

You didn't let me down ?

To be fair, I have only had to visit my sons school once, which was when his teacher took some hair clippers and cut chunks out of my sons hair.

After I visited him and returned the compliment, along with a relatively small amount of violence, the practice mysteriously stopped.

The teacher was a quicker learner than many of his pupils it seemed.

34 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

But what condemnation of the Thai society as a whole this is that they didn't feel confident enough to march down to the school and confront both teacher and school principle.

It's a prime example of how cowed this society is and how they have a fear of authority.

Yes, but now the teacher can sue them for defamation.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

What authority can the parent request to effectively deal with this situation so that :-

i) the family are compensated and / or the "teacher" is punished

ii) the school or education authority take action so that this particular "teacher" is stopped from doing this

iii) systems are put in place to prevent this happening again throughout Thailand's schools

Head teacher? No.

Education Authority? No.

Police? Won't get involved.

Social services (child protection)? Doesn't exist for cases like this in Thailand

All the parents are left with are Paveena and social media.

I would add that the fierce beating with a stick in a very humiliating way in front of the class with sexual overtones that a young child would not understand for something that was not even wrong has long-lasting negative effects.

Why do you mention "sexual overtones"?

Edited by jvs
afraid to get beaten by spelling police.

36 minutes ago, petedk said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

36 minutes ago, petedk said:

Yes, but now the teacher can sue them for defamation.

You are, in effect reinforcing what I've just said are you not?

Who needs education reforms?

They said the teacher had retired and just helps out at the school and his methods were from a bygone era.

"helps out"? beating a nine year old girl is just so wrong, on so many levels.

bygone era = last year

17 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Who needs education reforms?

They said the teacher had retired and just helps out at the school and his methods were from a bygone era.

"helps out"? beating a nine year old girl is just so wrong, on so many levels.

bygone era = last year

He also trains the military how to deal with new recruits as a hobby in his spare time.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

To be fair, I have only had to visit my sons school once, which was when his teacher took some hair clippers and cut chunks out of my sons hair.

After I visited him and returned the compliment, along with a relatively small amount of violence, the practice mysteriously stopped.

I like this reply...   it's how I'd like to think I would react in similar circumstances when an adult assaults my child. We can't rely on the law here, an equal response isn't too extreme in my opinion. 

That said: this teacher should be removed from the school, he's dangerous for children. 

A dinosaur system. Run by dinosaurs. The Thai education system is so utterly broken that it is hard to know where to start to try and fix it. And yes, I had both of my kids in that system for a while. A decision I will regret for the rest of my life.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

You cut chunks out of the teacher's hair?

2 minutes ago, katana said:

You cut chunks out of the teacher's hair?

Yes! Damn right I did. He thought it was fine to do it to my son, so I let him know how it felt. It was quite funny actually. He kept saying "you can't do this." But it turned out that actually, I could. I explained exactly what I would do if I ever had to come back again, and he swore he would never touch my son again, and he didn't.

Old school or not, they should sack the director for allowing this "old school teacher" to keep his job.

A few years ago, some of my students weren' t very good at reading, so I started going to the classroom early, before assembly, and had the weaker students read.  Before long, most of the class were queing up to read, so it became a permanent occurence for the rest of the year.  The whole class was excused from assembly, and their reading skills improved dramatically.

No old schhol about it, just some common sense and a little extra time with the students.