Thai man vows to pay 3 million baht for giant gecko

Thai man vows to pay 3 million baht for giant gecko

By Coconuts Bangkok

8523.JPG

Photo: Sanook

A man has stirred up excitement on social media with the announcement that he would pay at least THB3 million to anyone who can provide him with a very large gecko.

Geckos, known as tukkae in Thai, come in various sizes and are commonly found roaming free in Thai houses, especially in the countryside. But, to earn the big reward, Sorasingha Nikoson has specifically asked for a gecko that is at least 17.5 inches long  — that’s a hell of a gecko.

And, the larger your lizard, the more you earn. Sorasingha is willing to pay up to THB5 million for an outrageously large reptile.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thai-man-vows-pay-3-million-baht-giant-gecko/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-5-26

18 minutes ago, peterpaintpot said:

Do Coconuts know anything about Thai fauna, the Tockay gecko ( Gekko Gecko) is just one of the more than 1,650 species in the world ). I do not believe that all Thais call every gecko a "tukkae).

We have many of these little guys resident in our home. They clear unwanted insects and in exchange, leave their shit behind.

My wife calls them jinjoks (sp)

jingjok.jpg.c1caaf1a50ec0810a879db11c9473d9c.jpg

Not to say this ain't real, but there was a thing about big bucks for big tukays a few years ago. Something about curing aids in China. Turned out to be a scam; urging people to buy geckos off a middleman with the hopes of selling it on for a fortune to big man... big man doesn't show because he was colluding with middleman; or summat like that. Wonderful creatures. Leave them tukays alone!!

Some years ago I came out of a roadside restaurant to my car after dark and found a tokay on the rear window. Not wanting to drive off and injure it I got a pair of reinforced work gloves from inside my car knowing what a powerful bite these reptiles have. Before I could pick the lizard off a security guard appeared and with a swagger pushed me aside and grabbed at the tokay which twisted its body back and clamped its jaws onto Somchai's finger. To the amusement of the small crowd which had gathered the guard ran off screaming and waving his hand in a futile attempt to get the tokay to release!

They do crap everywhere so I deter them from inside the house by hanging or wedging large napthalene tablets near their favourite haunts.

"...a gecko that is at least 17.5 inches long..."

This man definitely wants other Thai men to have gecko envy. In other countries, men overcompensate for their shortcomings by buying big and powerful Muscle Cars. It looks like here a very large dingle dangle lizard serves the same purpose. 

Edited by jaltsc

8 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

We have many of these little guys resident in our home. They clear unwanted insects and in exchange, leave their shit behind.

What they leave behind is "processed unwanted insects".

Jinjuks all over the house, Tokay in the roof, Jinling and these (Jinkaa) in the garden: 5928852856834_E5487F4F346963D6A8E82E93A3EB52EA1EDCE51D002AD844DBpimgpsh_fullsize_distr.thumb.jpg.06bee78ae39905f20bdfa63690f96235.jpg

And let's not forget Jetagorp:

DSCF0146.JPG.34316c6b8960f1d67dafcf3cb0cf9a2a.JPG

Edited by Enoon

15 minutes ago, patekatek said:

I have an adult pair of Tokays that I really enjoy watching.  This photo was taken two evenings ago and it's one of the parents guarding an offspring of theirs.   This adult tokay is close to a foot long.

DSCF3147.JPG

patekatek,   take him and get 5 million baht ...  !!    quickly ...    5 million ..$$  wow !!!!

My GF's house in a small city in the KK region has a large Tokay living in the rafters or floor joists. It has a loud call and it seem to communicate with others in nearby houses. This one I estimate to be at least a foot long.

5928f4789eaa0_Screenshot2017-05-27at10_33_45AM.jpeg.199aba1a6137e81f4a0218e2b3a39018.jpeg

5928f48d1c5f3_Screenshot2017-05-27at10_32_17AM.jpeg.0ceab1952e89459a6c29a0af68d77a20.jpeg

15 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Some years ago I came out of a roadside restaurant to my car after dark and found a tokay on the rear window. Not wanting to drive off and injure it I got a pair of reinforced work gloves from inside my car knowing what a powerful bite these reptiles have. Before I could pick the lizard off a security guard appeared and with a swagger pushed me aside and grabbed at the tokay which twisted its body back and clamped its jaws onto Somchai's finger. To the amusement of the small crowd which had gathered the guard ran off screaming and waving his hand in a futile attempt to get the tokay to release!

They do crap everywhere so I deter them from inside the house by hanging or wedging large napthalene tablets near their favourite haunts.

That is an interesting way of avoiding the mess they make. I can't find 'napthalene' or moth balls in my dictionary, so what do you ask for in the shops?

4 hours ago, patekatek said:

I have an adult pair of Tokays that I really enjoy watching.  This photo was taken two evenings ago and it's one of the parents guarding an offspring of theirs.   This adult tokay is close to a foot long.

DSCF3147.JPG

A few days ago there was an adult tookay and four or five young tookays on the walls of my carport area :smile:.  This morning there is a Golden Tree snake wrapped around and eating an adult tookay in the drainage channel running alongside the house path.  There are many tookays where I live, but I was suprised that a Golden Tree snake managed to catch and kill such a large lizard!

14 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

A few days ago there was an adult tookay and four or five young tookays on the walls of my carport area :smile:.  This morning there is a Golden Tree snake wrapped around and eating an adult tookay in the drainage channel running alongside the house path.  There are many tookays where I live, but I was suprised that a Golden Tree snake managed to catch and kill such a large lizard!

Tokay Gecko - Ecology Asia [link]

Golden Tree Snake - Ecology Asia [link]

16 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

From your photo this does look like a jingjok - small and green and love to crop everywhere. I always get rid of them.

The Tookae is much larger and quite beautiful with red spots on a green background. The young have a pronounced banded tail. I had a couple in my Thai kitchen but most of their crapping was done outside. They love Cockroaches  ( malengsaap) the bigger the better. 

18 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I have one that is about 15 + in......and yes it is that big.

20 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

If the wife one day calls you a jinkok you know you have left to much shit lying around. 

I have a dozen of these creatures living in and around the house. Most are around 8" long not counting the tail. Just last week I heard a loud squeaking sound and upon investigating found that a tokay killed a large mouse, and was in the process of eating it. Cool animals. 

7 hours ago, Rob13 said:

Gecko farming is  a burgeoning industry. 

Quite right, and it's entirely possible that the man is

looking for breeding stock. If that is the case then I

can certainly understand the 3 to 5 million offer.