1994 Lexus LS400 - 45,000 KM

If you like that car, go for it! Those Lexus are excellent cars. The mileage on the Odo Meter isn't important. Usually they clocked anyway. But those 1UZ engines run for 400'000 km without any problem (Just check the T-belts each year and replace them if they get cracky.

Parts are available in Bang Phi near Bang Na (outskirts BKK east). Parts are quite cheap. Used engine cost about 30'k tranny about 10'k. Cheaper than any other cars. Suspension parts you get usually from Woratchack part suppliers in Chinatown. Body parts sometime in Bang Phi or maybe have to get on ebay (USA). All possible. Price of 279'k is fair for Thailand. Can't get a better and smoother car with a V8 for that price.

To mileage sceptics: couple days ago I watched a video on 1996 Mercedes W140 S600 being sold on an auction in Japan with genuine mileage of 27.000 km. All I could say was "WOW!" :)

Besides, there are many ways to see if mileage matches with condition of the car, you can order a pre-purchase inspection and check if there are any flaws.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem is: We are in Th, not in Japan. There is not many choice if you like to buy a car like this. Mileage doesn't count here. There is anyway only a 5 or 6 cars like this for sale in TH.

In my opinion: Condition goes over mileage. Condition is what counts here. BTW repairs and service cost a fraction owerhere, in compare with EU, Japan or US.

I had a couple of those Lexus's with over 200'000 km. Even with that amount of mileage, they drove much better and smoother than any new local made cars.

On 02/06/2017 at 9:16 PM, stingray said:

Parts are available in Bang Phi near Bang Na (outskirts BKK east).

do you mean the Chiang Kong area here:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Soi+Chiang+Kong+Bang+Na+5,+Tambon+Bang+Phli+Yai,+Amphoe+Bang+Phli,+Chang+Wat+Samut+Prakan+10540/@13.6302953,100.7033365,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x311d5e815e0e11e1:0x9153b23abee24581!8m2!3d13.6302901!4d100.7055252

or is there another car spares place around Bangna I don't yet know about?

cheers

Thanks for the replies guys, I've already took delivery of my 2005 LS430. It has been a great car, I am going to take it to get a service at Lexus tomorrow as it hasn't had a service with Lexus from 61,000 KM (It's 86,000 now).

I've covered insurance, but what about porobo? I don't really understand what this is, is it the road tax? How much does it cost and is there a calculator or table available online for me to check?

Many thanks guys

Thanks for the replies guys, I've already took delivery of my 2005 LS430. It has been a great car, I am going to take it to get a service at Lexus tomorrow as it hasn't had a service with Lexus from 61,000 KM (It's 86,000 now).

I've covered insurance, but what about porobo? I don't really understand what this is, is it the road tax? How much does it cost and is there a calculator or table available online for me to check?

Many thanks guys

Porobo is the mandatotory insurance you need to show/have when you want to renew the annual road tax sticker. I usually get it from the insurance broker directly when purchasing 1st class insurance. But you can get it separately as well. Don't know the cost of porobo anymore but relatively small ( I think less than a 1000 baht)

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 15/06/2017 at 11:39 AM, Robert24 said:

Porobo is the mandatotory insurance you need to show/have when you want to renew the annual road tax sticker. I usually get it from the insurance broker directly when purchasing 1st class insurance. But you can get it separately as well. Don't know the cost of porobo anymore but relatively small ( I think less than a 1000 baht)

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your response. The main worry I had was that the yearly road tax will be based on the engine capacity, which is the case in quite a few other countries. But so far it seems like that it isn't the case.

On 6/15/2017 at 11:22 AM, doctorproc156 said:

Many thanks guys

Porobo is what would normally be referred to as 3rd party insurance. 

Your blue book will list the yearly road tax payments and the charge, it goes down every year after 5 years. To tax the car you must have the compulsory insurance, if you ain't got it you can't tax it. Your insurance broker will do it for you, or you can do it at the transport office where you tax the ride, but you must have an MOT done to tax your ride..

• 1 month later...
On 29.5.2017 at 5:36 PM, pgrahmm said:

Solid car through & through....Should have the same drivetrain as the SC400 if it is original.....

Toyota spent something like $400,000,000. during the development of that new engine platform....

It could run on forever & be fine, but, my question would be part availability here.....Even in the US where they were well accepted age would suggest that parts could be a problem as there's  NO commonality with Toyota....

Everybody I knew that owned one loved their cars....Seem to remember one that had a power window concern.....

I believe 1994 would have been year 3 of that platform....

old thread, but old car aswell

The Lexus LS400 is for all

practical purposes identical to Toyota Celsior.

The power train saw light well before 1990.

The engine is called 1UZ-FE, a whole range of Toyota cars used that engine,

(Lexus) Celsior, Crown, Soarer, some HiAces some Pickups and a few more

spare parts are available, there are 3 sources, Toyota originals, aftermarket parts, scrapyards

(can also be ordered from Japan, the shops around Worachak do that))

in and around Bangkok there are several scrapyards/2nd hand shops that deal with 1UZ-FE

(Patumwan, BangNa/BangPlii, Rangsit, several in Nonthaburi, some big ones very close to the airport)

5 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

old thread, but old car aswell

The Lexus LS400 is for all

practical purposes identical to Toyota Celsior.

The power train saw light well before 1990.

The engine is called 1UZ-FE, a whole range of Toyota cars used that engine,

(Lexus) Celsior, Crown, Soarer, some HiAces some Pickups and a few more

spare parts are available, there are 3 sources, Toyota originals, aftermarket parts, scrapyards

(can also be ordered from Japan, the shops around Worachak do that))

in and around Bangkok there are several scrapyards/2nd hand shops that deal with 1UZ-FE

(Patumwan, BangNa/BangPlii, Rangsit, several in Nonthaburi, some big ones very close to the airport)

But do the Toyota V8's have exactly the same level of internals to a Lexus...I was surprised to learn that the RR Merlin V12 was a different animal to the Merlin V12 produced by Packard under license..?

13 minutes ago, transam said:

But do the Toyota V8's have exactly the same level of internals to a Lexus...I was surprised to learn that the RR Merlin V12 was a different animal to the Merlin V12 produced by Packard under license..?

The Lexus LS 400 engine is a Toyota engine, with a Lexus plastic crest on the top.

I don't think a Lexus 1UZ exists.

2 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

The Lexus LS 400 engine is a Toyota engine, with a Lexus plastic crest on the top.

I don't think a Lexus 1UZ exists.

Bit confused now...(normal for me)...You say the LS 400 is a Toyota lump fitted to the Lexus, I am asking if the Lexus internals are the same or upgraded, the same as RR Merlin was of higher build quality, parts etc to the Packard..?

It saw light in 1989, but in the UK n Europe it wasn't available till later and only in the LS Saloon, had a gunjy gray one for 6 months, changed it for the {TA Blue} Supra Turbo,that wasnt all it should have been.The US had the1uz-fe in a 4wd Tundra,now thats a Fun Ride Should be in the Fortuna imo.!!.:stoner:

1 minute ago, transam said:

Bit confused now...(normal for me)...You say the LS 400 is a Toyota lump fitted to the Lexus, I am asking if the Lexus internals are the same or upgraded, the same as RR Merlin was of higher build quality, parts etc to the Packard..?

What I tried to say was that there is no such thing as a Lexus LS400 specific 1UZ engine.

It follows that there is no such thing as Lexus internals.

The engine is a Toyota engine (1UZ) with a Lexus plastic crest on top.

me thinks, (I am pretty sure about this, bet you a fiver)

However, gear boxes may differ between different 1UZ power trains, (note used in a lot of different cars).

There are also slight performance differences depending on which country the engine is assembled for.

Here we talk in the range of plus/minus 5 hp and plus/minus 5-10 Nm, probably done in the ECU.

The engine also come with 3 different oil sumps, front sump, mid sump and back sump.

This in order to fit the engine into bays with a variety of steering/suspension stuff below.

OP mentioned 1994. Af far as the engine goes that represents a (wee) challenge.

Around October 1994 some changes were made to a few parts, starter, placing of distributors - which

have bearings on the length of the sparkplug leads. (And number of teeth/length of the timing belt

if I remember correctly - not sure about this one.) And a few other bits and pieces.

So, with a -94, don't sleep when purchasing spare parts.

15 minutes ago, transam said:

Yep.

Couple of ads;

The engine is not an aluminium engine as stated in the article, the mill is made of light weight alloy.

It is not developed to replace some old Toyota engine in older cars.

Toyota designed and developed this engine for racing purposes.

However, the engine found/lived a "glorious" life in a lot of different Toyota models, as well as the Lexus LS400.

Some of the later UZ engines are aluminium engines, not 2UZ - which is cast iron,

but 3UZ and 4UZ i think is aluminium.

(as well as Toyota's diesel V8, also aluminium)