Chiang Mai Water Problems

fanciman

With the recent floral extravaganza in town, and the extra visitors, water pressure has been very low.

On the way to Doi Suthep, but still well within City bounds, 3 floors up, the head of the water was a trickle, or non-existant.

Has anybody else had this problem?

I heard from a local that around about this week, things ought to be getting abit better. Long term, new piping is meant to be required, and since that would be a government provided thing, it could take forever. Installing a pump into the building is sometimes possible in theory, sometimes not configurable, and sometimes prohibited. A water tank installation is another idea, though how water is meant to get to the roof (and how to get a tank up there!) is another thing.

Please share some ideas!

With the recent floral extravaganza in town, and the extra visitors, water pressure has been very low.

On the way to Doi Suthep, but still well within City bounds, 3 floors up, the head of the water was a trickle, or non-existant.

I heard from a local that around about this week, things ought to be getting abit better. Long term, new piping is meant to be required, and since that would be a government provided thing, it could take forever. Installing a pump into the building is sometimes possible in theory, sometimes not configurable, and sometimes prohibited. A water tank installation is another idea, though how water is meant to get to the roof (and how to get a tank up there!) is another thing.

Please share some ideas!

Are you a Master Fitness Trainer as well.........

Please share some ideas!

Are you a Master Fitness Trainer as well.........

I LOL'd :o

Please share some ideas!

I've found that the best way to maintain water pressure in all my taps and in the showers was to install simple mesh filters before the tap. Automotive gas filters work fine, especially the ones made for BMW Paris-Dakar bikes. Simple mesh filter. Easy to open and clean. A stopcock to shut off the water to the tap, then remove the filter and wash out all the crap that floats in city water, wash the mesh filter inside the tap as well, and then replace everything, and I get double the pressure I had before. I now do this ritual at least once a month on all my taps, and haven't had any waterpressure problems since. I was gobsmacked the first time I tried cleaning a new filter after just one month of water passage, seeing the amount of mud inside blocking the filter.

The Fly Fisherman

3 floors up sounds like you might be in a rental appartment or condo. If that is the case your choices are limited by what you can get others to agree to do. If you own or really control the property you have more choices. Which is it?

Do not go out and put filters in before all your taps as has been suggested. This would only effect the problem if if if it is caused by dirty water clogging the taps. You could check to see if this is the problem by cleaning one tap and seeing the change, if any. If it is a dirty water problem, one filter on the main line into the house usually fixes the problem and is much easier than a filter for each tap.

I posted in this regard some weeks back in a thread about the Flower Festival.

We have had severe water shortages now since that time and our well is frequently dry. We have to save water in every possible way, just to get by.

The water table, and depth of water in our pond is currently lower than we have seen it in ten years and we still have the entire hot season to get through.

If things do not get better, we are expecting to have to move into temporary housing before the end of the hot season.

The buidlng is rented, and it is new, so I don't think accumulated dirt is the most likely problem, though it may be the case. I never knew that it could be as bad as described. I will have to ask about getting some sort of filter for outside the house.

I think people are not aware of 1) water shortage problems 2) ways to reduce them 3) the impact on the environment of heedless water usage.

Drive around chiangmai .. and it would not be hard to spot some Shop selling Large BLue color water Tanks .

if it for person use .. use a 40-50 litre one .

I had two large 150-250 ( but if two put together is slight compare to the size of a benz 230 ) litre tanks in my house . and two pump working for it ....

a direct pump might not slove the problem .if the supply is slow or little . what you need is pump to give Psi to the water . and the storage to allow the flow .

when i shower i love fast flowing water like jet spray .

:o

if you need direction let me know i would love to point you the way .

After 5 odd years of unreliable water pressure, quality, and even just unreliable availability in our old house, we decided to install an 1100 Litre stainless potable water tank and a 280kPa (~40PSI?) Hitachi water pump in our new house. The pressure is absolutely fantastic (I can actually have a relaxing/painful shower!), and the 1100 Litres gives us at least a full day of water reserves with a family of 5 (without any rationing/saving excercises). We also installed a 150L storage hot water heater with 1/2" insulated copper plumbing throughout, so the hot water has just as good pressure as the cold, which makes a huge difference to shower quality/pressure over a more typical (for LOS) on-the-fly water heater.

The specs on the water pump we have state that it can support a head height of 15M, which should be plenty for your 3rd floor apartment. In our two storey house there is no discernable difference in pressure between floors.

The buidlng is rented, and it is new, so I don't think accumulated dirt is the most likely problem, though it may be the case.

I never knew that it could be as bad as described. I will have to ask about getting some sort of filter for outside the house.

Dirt in pipes can be a problem in a new house or after a pipe repair or alteration unless all piping is flushed. Take off one of the screens at the end of a bathroom tap or kitchen tap and see if it is dirty, if so clean all of them. If they clog again soon then go for a filter outside the house. Are you sure that there is not already a clogged filter outside the house?

I do not think water is often as dirty as described earlier. That sounds like something pumped out of a shallow irrigation canal.

The buidlng is rented, and it is new, so I don't think accumulated dirt is the most likely problem, though it may be the case.

I never knew that it could be as bad as described. I will have to ask about getting some sort of filter for outside the house.

Dirt in pipes can be a problem in a new house or after a pipe repair or alteration unless all piping is flushed. Take off one of the screens at the end of a bathroom tap or kitchen tap and see if it is dirty, if so clean all of them. If they clog again soon then go for a filter outside the house. Are you sure that there is not already a clogged filter outside the house?

I do not think water is often as dirty as described earlier. That sounds like something pumped out of a shallow irrigation canal.

There are prohibitions about pumping water in some places. We mayn't be allowed.

I think i will have to see a plumber and hope he is a good one that speaks english and knows the system...