Pink ID card & Yellow tabian baan - Who can get it?

7 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Jeeze... you have to take two thai friends with you to sign that they know you etc. and you have to take your yellow book and passport

Jeeze i didnt have to take 2 of anybody to get book or card which is why i asked tbe question.

Edited by jeab1980

9 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Jeeze i didnt have to take 2 of anybody to get book or card which is why i asked tbe question.

Most Amphers want 2 Thai witnesses when getting the yellow book, I got yellow book in Pattaya and had to take along 2 witnesses.

My experience was 99% of the procedure was getting the yellow book then another office issued the ID based on the yellow book.

• Like 2

I have had a pink I/D card for a few months now, has anyone found any positive actual use for it, other than proof of residence? slightly of topic i know, but it might save the opener going through the rigmarole of getting one of these cards, when it might amount to being pretty useless!

• Like 1

It seems most of you render the Tabien Baan and ID card as being useless, because you neither understand their purpose, potential, or why the Thai government allowed foreigners to register.

The purpose was to allow foreigners to use the Thai administration services the same way Thais do.

That is they only require their TB and ID card at any government office, for any procedure.

Their Civil Registration number can be used across all government databases to check details.

In hindsight, had you obtain a TB and ID card before registering your Passport ID number to obtain government services, then you would indeed only need your TB and ID card the same way Thais do.

Unfortunately we almost all used our Passports as ID and only later registered to obtain a House registration ID, shown on your TB and again on your ID card.

Unless you now change the form of ID required on their database, you will indeed still require your passport and numerous copies of other documents. My Civilian Registration number is now shown on my Driving licences, not my Passport number.

I obtained a new 5 year licence last year with only my TB and ID card as proof.

Same applies for purchasing a new vehicle, dealing with bank (unless it's an International issue), boarding internal flights etc.

The only time I dig my Passport out is for Immigration.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I have had a pink I/D card for a few months now, has anyone found any positive actual use for it, other than proof of residence? slightly of topic i know, but it might save the opener going through the rigmarole of getting one of these cards, when it might amount to being pretty useless!

Just another form of ID.... really...  I have it too

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Most Amphers want 2 Thai witnesses when getting the yellow book, I got yellow book in Pattaya and had to take along 2 witnesses.

My experience was 99% of the procedure was getting the yellow book then another office issued the ID based on the yellow book.

Again proves the diffrencrs between Amphurs i got yellow book with my mrs my passport  cert of residence from police station, and same from immigration and my freedom to marry affirmation translated into thai which i already had as part of marriage documents. Took two weeks to get yellow book and 30 mins to get ID card both on same day.

2 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

Won't the police still want to see your passport?

Of course they can request anything.

In reality though, a Police officer can more easily check your local details using their database, if you have a Civilian Registration number. They are usually delighted and it makes their job so much easier.

It depends on what matter the Police officer is questioning you about.

6 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I have used ID for lots of things, getting the Thai price at places, domestic travel, hired motorbikes, shown to police instead of passport, changed ownership of a vehicle at DLT. 

ID is used together with yellow book as they contain the same information.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

Won't the police still want to see your passport?

Do you mean police at road stops?

They wanted to see my passport multiple times. Never got it. Always a problem. But since I have Thai driving ID my passport is not required anymore. 

14 minutes ago, sinbin said:

Used my 'Pink ID card' yesterday at the bank for a withdrawal instead of my passport. 

Interesting but was this bank in the same jurisdiction as the issuing amphur?

The small (Thai) print on the back of the pink ID card pretty much says it can only be used locally. I offered my Udon-issued pink ID as a photo ID at my home branch of a bank in Pattaya and although the teller was quite interested and hadn't seen one before, she deferred acceptance for the transaction and asked if I had my Thai DL which she accepted. Got her phone number though.

21 hours ago, glegolo said:

Like said different rules everywhere. But in general  You need to be married to get a yellow book (tabien Baan) and you need to have a yellow book if any chance to get a  pink ID-card for foreigners...

So start with the yellow book, and when that is finished then you can apply for a ID card...

Glegolo

You do not need to be married to get a yellow book, I'm not. Just check with your amphur and if you qualify with extension to stay or equivalent, ownership of property or rental, with landlord's permission, you may be able to get the yellow book and ID card at the same time.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The bank wasn't located in the issuing Amphur area, but was within the same Province.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Chiang Mai need witnesses for yellow book and Pink ID

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sinbin said:

Used my 'Pink ID card' yesterday at the bank for a withdrawal instead of my passport. 

Interesting a couple posters have been able to use it I tried at a hotel and they rejected it as did the transport office. I like it as a form of extra ID but it's not been any use to me as most thais are baffled a farang can get one.  I use my Thai Driving Licence far more. I'm flying tomorrow so i'll try use it at the airport and see if they accept it.

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The small (Thai) print on the back of the pink ID card pretty much says it can only be used locally. I offered my Udon-issued pink ID as a photo ID at my home branch of a bank in Pattaya and although the teller was quite interested and hadn't seen one before, she deferred acceptance for the transaction and asked if I had my Thai DL which she accepted. Got her phone number though.

The issue of the "cannot be used in or travel to another location" has come up in other ID threads. As the lady who issued my card said, the statement on the card about cannot travel etc, is only relevant to burmese workers etc and not to westerners.

Lady who issued my card said that they are waiting for a new template for pink card ID for westerners and that they are supposed to black out the "cannot travel" statement if the card is issued via a yellow book.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, glegolo said:

The only reasonable nice explanation is what I mentioned in an earlier post, namely that your amphue-office lack the software to issue this ID-card.

For me when I applied in Chaiyaphum it took me some 2 weeks, and they told me that they didn´t have the software for the falang ID-card, but have ordered it..

And it was true, they called me the following week already, and it was an easy operation to get that ID-card.

Glegolo

In the past the printing of the pink card was complex and often included 3 months wait to get the card,  but in the last 12 to 18 months many more amphur offices across Thailand now have and use the machine and have easy access etc., to print pink cards.

At my amphur office they accept requests without hesitation and if your personal documents are in order they tell you to come back late afternoon, same day, to get your card.

Why? Because they don't want to unload the real Thai id blank cards and reload with pink cards, then unload and reload with the real Thai Id card. In fact there is very close serious control to ensure cards are not issued without full approvals etc., and a register of cards issued etc., is scrutinized every day. So at maybe 3.55 pm they unload the real ID cards and reload with pink cards. 

Do they do this at every amphur office which has the equipment? I don't know. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Interesting a couple posters have been able to use it I tried at a hotel and they rejected it as did the transport office. I like it as a form of extra ID but it's not been any use to me as most thais are baffled a farang can get one.  I use my Thai Driving Licence far more. I'm flying tomorrow so i'll try use it at the airport and see if they accept it.

Have always used it to book into hotels and used it in conjunction with TB at LTO for DL interstingly he  refused to put TB/ID number on DL and put passport number back on without seeing passport pointed out to them that its now a diffrent passport number, supervisor ordered them to put TB number on and appolgised. Also used ID for internal flights however i do book it in thai as the card is in Thai script. Ive used it in bank transactions after taking it into my branch and getting it associated with my account. It is a useful card 

Just now, jeab1980 said:

Have always used it to book into hotels and used it in conjunction with TB at LTO for DL interstingly he  refused to put TB/ID number on DL and put passport number back on without seeing passport pointed out to them that its now a diffrent passport number, supervisor ordered them to put TB number on and appolgised. Also used ID for internal flights however i do book it in thai as the card is in Thai script. Ive used it in bank transactions after taking it into my branch and getting it associated with my account. It is a useful card 

Yes but i was talking about using it 'alone' not with TB (which is very useful I agree). I booked into Duangtawan only yesterday and could not use it as a replacement for my passport and will see at the airport tomorrow as I'm intrigued as some have said, like you, they use it.

4 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Yes but i was talking about using it 'alone' not with TB (which is very useful I agree). I booked into Duangtawan only yesterday and could not use it as a replacement for my passport and will see at the airport tomorrow as I'm intrigued as some have said, like you, they use it.

Only use TB in conjunction at LTO. Hotels never had a problem in the years ive had the card i have never not been able to use it in hotels anywhere in Thailand.

4 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Exactly what does the yellow book do for you besides getting a pink ID card?

For me has enabled me to obtain Australian visas for my wife with  no trouble at all 24 hour service. What does a pink I'D card do exactly. I do not know anyone having one, to my knowledge and have never heard this discussed around my village.

It depends how you have made a booking, if you book a flight online using your name "in Thai script" then the Pink ID with your name "in Thai script" will make sense. 
The same if you use pink ID to open a bank account, the bank account will be in your name in Thai script and the Thai script ID will be accepted.
A big part of getting the yellow book and ID is providing a Thai translation of your name as on your yellow book and Thai ID, you are not Fred Smith written in English, you are Fred Smith written in Thai.

Thanks Peterw2 for your detailed clarification as to the reason for getting the pink ID. Foriegn name translated to Thai in both yellow book and pink ID. You kept on telling us all that they were the same. Now we now how they are the same. Hopefully end of thread. So much negativity in TV. Info like this is the only reason I stay on. Good job. There is hope yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

Thanks Peterw2 for your detailed clarification as to the reason for getting the pink ID. Foriegn name translated to Thai in both yellow book and pink ID. You kept on telling us all that they were the same. Now we now how they are the same. Hopefully end of thread. So much negativity in TV. Info like this is the only reason I stay on. Good job. There is hope yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

By the way, is there any official point, when your name will be translated and you will have to stick to it?

I have at least 3 different versions of translation of my name on documents (marriage certificate, traslation of passport etc.) Sometimes when I come to office they will ask me how to read my name, when I read it, they will write it down how they personally hear it.

Edited by howard ashoul