Phuket as a full-time home

1happykamper

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wherever you decide to live in thailand you will find your way. You can live at a lot of different levels. I have a friend who keeps a room on the hill above Patong and pays 3000 baht a month, small but you don't need much. Plenty of Thai restaurants and food stands for very little money, Good luck, follow the path that brings you the most happiness. all you need to remember is to wear a smile and not to think that you are somewhere that things should make a lot of sense. Read culture shock Thailand. Also remember that your standard of living is miles above the average Thai and you may look like a meal ticket to some.

I am in Isaan and I have a farm, I am surrounded by a loving Thai family, we have reciprocal relationship. I help them and they help me. They work hard and will share in the profit of the farm. I don't feel taken advantage of, my wife family are not drinkers and they don't smoke. I thoroughly enjoy my life here and every once in a while I go to Chiang Mai, the beach, Bangkok or Bali. Love my life here.

I don't know why people always bitching about phuket i love it here. Been waiting for a job for a year just to come here. My condo is cheaper and better than in bkk. Food, as i live in a very thai place costs 50 baht (yes, with the fried egg on top). Maybe learn a word or two and don't go to awful restaurants where khaopad is 100+. Phuket for a short term (your 6-12 months) would be just perfect.

I lived in Phuket for 6 years, first year in Patong and 5 in Nai Harn which was far more peaceful. But that was nearly 30 years ago. I prefer somewhere a bit quieter now and chose Krabi. 

My opinions of Phuket now are not complimentary,  but everyone is different, so try it for the 6-12 months and make your own mind up.

On 2017-6-3 at 5:14 PM, madmax2 said:

Phuket is not expensive compared to Australia its cheap to live here

Plenty of Restaurants and bars in the Rawai area that cater to expats,and a lot live in the area

Beer in a bar from 60 baht and restaurant meals from 100 to 300 baht in lots of Restaurants

You can always eat at a roadside stall for 60 baht if that's to expensive for you

Phuket has everything including 4 private hospitals, movie theatres, bowling alleys, live shows, a international airport you name it

North East Thailand has none of these things but its a lot cheaper to live there, last time i took my father in law to the hospital in Buriram for a re booked appointment we waited for 5 hours, for something exciting to do you watch a buffalo eat grass, after a couple of days i cannot wait to get out of the place and back to Phuket

If you have no money Phuket is expensive not otherwise:smile: 

Sorry but you are wrong about certain ammenities in Isaan. It seems some people have never been in Phuket and other have never been in Isaan. 

OP why do you only want to live in one city or town. Why not stay in Phuket for 2 or 3 months and then move on to somewhere new. 

Don't understand?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Don't let them get to you te2000. I whoosh all you whooshers would quit your whooshing. I whoosh you would show me on the map were Isaan is NOT surrounded by land including the borders to two other countries. Whooshful thinking, no beachfront property here guys. Just some small Mekong sandy areas they use for whooshing off and jumping in to make their own waves. I think my whooshing makes more common sense than yours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I live on an eastern beach near Cape Panwa with a lovely beach to kayak, walk, and swim. After going to areas like Issan where the heat is intolerable for me, I love returning to my rental house on the beach. The first sound I hear is the waves breaking on the beach, and I know I am home. And the home costs 12,000 baht a month with lovely Muslim folks for my landlord. They are known as the best people on the beach, and very friendly and very helpful to me. While you are here you can rent a car for 10,000 baht for the month, which is around 333 baht a day. So everything isn't expensive here in Phuket. Oh, in Issan I couldn't find any decent bread....here at Big C there are about ten different choices of really good farang bread. And that one Phuket hater who had never been here.....now there is an open mind. 555

I have a 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom, house in Phuket town, a rooftop apartment in Patong, and a rural plot in Thalang.  My strategy is simple, I always eat in Phuket town, because that is where the best restaurants are (Glab Gluay or whatever its name is) is ok sometimes if I get trapped in Patong...but parking is a scene.  I only date girls from venues in Phuket town (but currently in a longer term relationship with a great lass) because that is were the accountants, shop assistants, nurses etc go out if they are not freelancers.  I like to take my dates to stay in my apartment in Patong.  And If I just want to escape all together I hang out in Thalang surround by the bush.

I live on an eastern beach near Cape Panwa with a lovely beach to kayak, walk, and swim. After going to areas like Issan where the heat is intolerable for me, I love returning to my rental house on the beach. The first sound I hear is the waves breaking on the beach, and I know I am home. And the home costs 12,000 baht a month with lovely Muslim folks for my landlord. They are known as the best people on the beach, and very friendly and very helpful to me. While you are here you can rent a car for 10,000 baht for the month, which is around 333 baht a day. So everything isn't expensive here in Phuket. Oh, in Issan I couldn't find any decent bread....here at Big C there are about ten different choices of really good farang bread. And that one Phuket hater who had never been here.....now there is an open mind. 555

It's good to find someone that's happy where they live in Thailand as you and I. Personally, I have never enjoyed going to the beach. My wife and relatives want me to tour down there. From what I've seen from photos it''s very beautiful. I can't wait to do some sightseeing but I don't plan on beaching. A good life is what it's all about wherever you are.

2 hours ago, fatdrunkandstupid said:

I have a 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom, house in Phuket town, a rooftop apartment in Patong, and a rural plot in Thalang.  My strategy is simple, I always eat in Phuket town, because that is where the best restaurants are (Glab Gluay or whatever its name is) is ok sometimes if I get trapped in Patong...but parking is a scene.  I only date girls from venues in Phuket town (but currently in a longer term relationship with a great lass) because that is were the accountants, shop assistants, nurses etc go out if they are not freelancers.  I like to take my dates to stay in my apartment in Patong.  And If I just want to escape all together I hang out in Thalang surround by the bush.

I can see by your posts you're more savvy than the rest of us that have lived here for longer and are far less arrogant... Good luck with your life and I'm glad you are happy, but I'm not sure what your post is contributing to the OP.

That said, the OP needs to come and check it out for himself as many others have said. There are many communities in this province. I've lived in Rawai for 11 years. I spent about a year in Patong back when it was still kind of fun. I'm glad I made the move when Rawai was still relatively still rural. There's no turning back the clock on the over building and the lack of infrastructure improvements to keep up with it. The Chalong Circle underpass is a prime example of  a waste of time and money without having any kind of plan. They still haven't moved the power poles or acquired the land to start, not alone finish the project. Welcome to Phuket and the clueless who seem to think they have a clue!

8 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

Don't let them get to you te2000. I whoosh all you whooshers would quit your whooshing. I whoosh you would show me on the map were Isaan is NOT surrounded by land including the borders to two other countries. Whooshful thinking, no beachfront property here guys. Just some small Mekong sandy areas they use for whooshing off and jumping in to make their own waves. I think my whooshing makes more common sense than yours.

There it goes again, right over your head.......whoosh...........

9 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

I can see by your posts you're more savvy than the rest of us that have lived here for longer and are far less arrogant... Good luck with your life and I'm glad you are happy, but I'm not sure what your post is contributing to the OP.

That said, the OP needs to come and check it out for himself as many others have said. There are many communities in this province. I've lived in Rawai for 11 years. I spent about a year in Patong back when it was still kind of fun. I'm glad I made the move when Rawai was still relatively still rural. There's no turning back the clock on the over building and the lack of infrastructure improvements to keep up with it. The Chalong Circle underpass is a prime example of  a waste of time and money without having any kind of plan. They still haven't moved the power poles or acquired the land to start, not alone finish the project. Welcome to Phuket and the clueless who seem to think they have a clue!

Don't worry.  The light rail system to Chalong will be fully completed just 22 months from now.

On 6/8/2017 at 5:21 PM, fatdrunkandstupid said:

Sounds good, I am happy in patong, my place is 12,000B a month and I too like to be surrounded by plenty of Bush, my brother lives up north and tells me how this and that is cheap and why don't I come up (I don't want to knock him, he's on a budget so to speak, but W TF do I want to go the back of beyond for?) I like a bit of action when I wanted it, I like the numerous beaches and places around Phuket and I like to shoot the breeze  at my lil place up in the hills where its nice and quiet (surrounded by bush!) 

Edited by Lokie

I lived in Patong for a year and got sick of it.  You are just a walking target with a big sign on your back, "Take my money!"  Moved to a beach bungalow on Chalong Bay (lovely but with its own problems and finally redeveloped) and finally to a gated community near Wat Chalong where I am very happy.  I would suggest South of the Chalong circle, because of the construction going on there.  Not much of a problem in the low season but can take up to 30 minutes to navigate in the high season.  Naiharn is the loveliest beach in the south.  Maybe the loveliest beach on Phuket.  Bars and restaurants are cheap to expensive.  Find your own niche.  Yes, Phuket is expensive compared to Isarn, but not to where I came from in the US.  As for the guy who loves to live in Isarn, "Good on ya' brother."  But some people have other interests besides watching the buffaloes defecate and the grass grow.

On 09/06/2017 at 2:39 AM, timkeen08 said:

It's good to find someone that's happy where they live in Thailand as you and I. Personally, I have never enjoyed going to the beach. My wife and relatives want me to tour down there. From what I've seen from photos it''s very beautiful. I can't wait to do some sightseeing but I don't plan on beaching. A good life is what it's all about wherever you are.

"A good life is what it's all about wherever you are." - I agree. 

However, certain places in Thailand are changing, rapidly, and none more so than Phuket.  Over development, the tourist demographic, and the terrible traffic being prime examples.

My point being, one must regularly self assess their happiness within their current environment. 

In relation to Phuket, the lifestyle on offer here today, from island wide, to the individual's residence, may not be the lifestyle on offer 6 months from now, and this also extends to business operations. 

Phuket is a great place to live and not only for its beaches.

You don't have to eat in the expensive restaurants. My favourite restaurants are Happy Days in Chalong and The Red Onion in Karon. Very good quality food with generous servings and at very reasonable prices.

Kathu is a very pleasant suburban type of area with fewer tourists than the beach resort areas. I didn't really explore north of Phuket Town and only once visited Surin and Kamala. These areas seem less busy than further south on the island.

Of course, if you want to party, there is plenty of entertainment to choose from. Phuket Town, Rawai, Nai Harn, Kata, Karon and Chalong have plenty of nightlife. Patong is too much for me but appeals to millions of people.

My problem over the 8 months I spent there was that I am weak-willed and spent more time in the bars than was healthy for my body and mind or my wallet.

Be sensible on the motorbike and the risk level is acceptable in my book.

I cycled the southern part of the island quite a bit. Some steep hills around there but fantastic scenery.

Edited by paulsingle
grammer correction

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2017 at 1:49 AM, Jimi007 said:

I spent about a year in Patong back when it was still kind of fun. I'm glad I made the move when Rawai was still relatively still rural. There's no turning back the clock on the over building and the lack of infrastructure improvements to keep up with it. The Chalong Circle underpass is a prime example of  a waste of time and money without having any kind of plan. They still haven't moved the power poles or acquired the land to start, not alone finish the project. Welcome to Phuket and the clueless who seem to think they have a clue!

Sadly, that's the truth about Patong and although I live here and still like it a lot, there are so many things that could be so much better and planning and infrastructure are just a couple of them.

It's my belief that many of these projects are undertaken primarily to enable skimming of the highly inflated prices, thereby keeping the corruption pipeline flowing. For example it would be much cheaper and quicker to build an overpass in some places, this especially where water and floodplains prevail, but this has not happened.

There is no plan because planning does not come first and foremost, ways in which to allow the powers that be to get wealthier does.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14.6.2017 at 0:24 AM, paulsingle said:

You don't have to eat in the expensive restaurants. My favourite restaurants are Happy Days in Chalong and The Red Onion in Karon. Very good quality food with generous servings and at very reasonable prices.

Red Onion has moved to Kata Beach, find it in Taina Road, from Makro down to the beach on the left hand side.

20170224_200944~01.jpg

46 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

Red Onion has moved to Kata Beach, find it in Taina Road, from Makro down to the beach on the left hand side.

20170224_200944~01.jpg

Very poor location compared with their long location on a very busy area in Karon main street

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Very poor location compared with their long location on a very busy area in Karon main street

Yes, I heard a raise in their lease of a few thousand Baht came up. I think they're going to regret this.

That's what happens when you rent premises instead of owning, The landlord may end up regretting asking for a rent increase in the current rental market, best to hang on to a good tenant as long as you can

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, I heard a raise in their lease of a few thousand Baht came up. I think they're going to regret this.

"I think they're going to regret this." - who, the restaurant owner, the landlord, or both????

Edited by NamKangMan

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

That's what happens when you rent premises instead of owning, The landlord may end up regretting asking for a rent increase in the current rental market, best to hang on to a good tenant as long as you can

"The landlord may end up regretting asking for a rent increase in the current rental market" - I agree, but the restaurant owner may also regret not paying the higher rent?  That said, the restaurant owner is the only one that knows their margins, and what expenses their business can sustain. 

Could be greed from both the restaurant owner and the landlord that will see both of them lose.  The restaurant with a lack of customers, and the landlord with a vacant premises for some time. 

Edited by NamKangMan

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

"The landlord may end up regretting asking for a rent increase in the current rental market" - I agree, but the restaurant owner may also regret not paying the higher rent?  That said, the restaurant owner is the only one that knows their margins, and what expenses their business can sustain. 

Could be greed from both the restaurant owner and the landlord that will see both of them lose.  The restaurant with a lack of customers, and the landlord with a vacant premises for some time. 

Depends on how much of a rent increase was asked ?  This was an incredible successful restaurant for as long as I can remember, packed high and low season, people actually queued waiting for a table to come free, yet there were plenty other good eateries a stones throw away. Personally I did not rate the food style the one time I ate there about 15 years ago, not so cheap,  Never went back. Looked like a simple  single level Thai house set back from the road and  a canopy had been erected with open sides to accommodate the tables.

I suspected they had a very long lease and the owner wanted them to knock down the house and erect a multi floor large business complex, So when the lease was renegotiated there would be a huge increase.That's just my own speculation.