Phuket as a full-time home

1happykamper

57 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

There's no argument that Thailand has some of the most dangerous roads in the world. However, I'm convinced Phuket is not the most deadly province. Figures are based on deaths per 100,000 people, and the population figures used for Phuket are based on an old census.

It doesn't take into account several million tourism arrivals, expats, migrant workers from other countries nor Thais who seek work here, but don't change their place of registration. At any given time the number of people actually on the Island is way in excess of official figures, thus skewing the death statistics.

In summary, you have no more chance of becoming a road statistic on Phuket than in many other provinces in this dangerous country.

If you stay off motorbikes, or at least wear a helmet at all times, you should be able to greatly reduce  the risks. See some attached stats from a WHO report using figures from 2012.

deaths.JPG

bikes.JPG

http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/2015/country_profiles/Thailand.pdf

I take your point OC, we would need to see if "resident" status includes Alien registrations at the time, as well as Thai's from other Provinces.

Another thing to consider is a fatality is only counted if the road user is dead at the scene, not if they later die in hospital.  Not to mention catastrophic injuries, such as paraplegia, not being counted. 

"you have no more chance of becoming a road statistic on Phuket than in many other provinces in this dangerous country" - I disagree.  Due to alcohol being a factor in so many accidents here, in my opinion, the distinct lack of proper public transport here plays a far bigger role in road fatalities than in other Provinces, particularly among tourists. 

We will never know if any of the intoxicated deceased may have opted for a baht bus, or proper metered taxi home, instead of driving / riding home intoxicated, only to have an accident and die.  However, speaking for myself, when I am in Pattaya, I can go all over the city, in a timely fashion, and at a very affordable price, so I have no use for a vehicle, and my level of intoxication does not put any other road users at risk, let alone my own safety. 

The lack of proper public transport here IS killing people. 

Edited by NamKangMan

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

The lack of proper public transport here IS killing people. 

Totally agree as far as foreigners are concerned.

When in Bangkok I always take a cab when going out and never even think about the costs. In Phuket very different thus opting for my own vehicle. And this must be the same for plenty of other people.

However, most Thais would still rather ride their own bike than pay for a taxi. 

Edited by thaibutty
forgot the answer:)

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

Another thing to consider is a fatality is only counted if the road user is dead at the scene, not if they later die in hospital.  Not to mention catastrophic injuries, such as paraplegia, not being counted. 

Try reading under the word DATA in my post.

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

<snip>Another thing to consider is a fatality is only counted if the road user is dead at the scene, not if they later die in hospital.  <snip>

This is claimed often, and quite a few times already I have showed you here that this claim is not correct.

But you keep on sprouting this just to further your cause, whatever that may be. Stick to the truth please.

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

This is claimed often, and quite a few times already I have showed you here that this claim is not correct.

But you keep on sprouting this just to further your cause, whatever that may be. Stick to the truth please.

Yes.  I have read conflicting opinions on this.  But I have also seen it recited as a fact by the MSM.

Steven L if you have definitive evidence that this is a bar stool myth please post the link.

Nonetheless let's also assume that a good deal of deaths are also not properly recorded due to face, corruption, ineptitude, sloth and systems failure.

I have read that 80% of deaths in Phuket are motorbike related. (And 80% of them are young males).  I can't remember the exact figure now, but a very high % weren't wearing helmets. These stats are all higher than the national average.

There's no hiding the fact that a lack of a reasonable public transport system is forcing more Thais, and visitors, onto bikes than elsewhere, inflating the death toll here. However, I believe deaths in 4 wheeled vehicles are lower than in many other provinces, mainly because there are no long, high speed country highways on Phuket. 

Personal safety and convenience are the main reasons I, and many long term expats, buy cars.

Of course, many here do ride, and, with reasonable skill and common sense, stay out of the mayhem on the roads. The doom and gloom merchants who continually peddle the same dark message that to set foot in the province will result in certain death or maiming are best ignored.

If considering moving to Phuket long term these are factors any wise person will consider as part of their assessment.

You guys in your haste to crap on Phuket start leading with arguments that apply to the whole of Thailand.

If road deaths are going unreported it's a nation wide phenomenon.

Try to keep your warped little messages on topic.

On 6/6/2017 at 10:50 AM, thaibutty said:

Had lunch yesterday at the restaurant next to my office in Chalong. 50 Baht for a phat krapao with fried egg. The day before at a Vegetarian place paid 60 Baht for a plate of rice with 3 toppings. 
Sure is bloody expensive here in Phuket....

As for getting around: I have within 5 minute drive 1large Tesco Lotus, Villa Market, and 5 small convenient stores (7Eleven, Familiy Mart and SuperCheap) and another 3 mom and pop shops. I could even walk there in a few minutes if I wanted to.   

Add another 3 minutes and I am at Makro Rawai. 15 minutes to Central, Big C etc.

Really inconvenient for sure...

And that's the main point - living on Phuket means most things are available within a (relatively) short distance.

Thai (cooked)food is cheaply and easily available in the markets, if you enjoy that sort of food.  - i.e. it doesn't suit my palate, but others buy from them more than once.

Restaurants are mostly a lot more expensive on Phuket as its a relatively expensive place to live in Thailand.

5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I agree, but, in my opinion, another killer for motorbikes is incorrect tyre pressures.

Have never seen any mechanic ever use a tyre pressure gauge. That's why as soon as I get home, I check the pressures in the tyres.

Just had a set of new tyres put on the bike. Usually, these mechanics pump in around 60 psi when it should be around 30 to 40 psi.

This time was a record. The back tyre went off the scale and the scale ends at 120 psi.

What's worse are the motorbikes where they don't bother to add air until it becomes an obvious problem. I estimate that there are a lot of scooters with between 10 and 20 psi in their tyres.

Know what you mean....

Not possessing a tyre gauge or being capable of checking tyre pressures, I rely on how my scooter 'feels'....  Once it feels a bit 'slippery' at the back, I know its time to get the tyre filled, and the 'repair centre' never uses a tyre pressure gauge.....

We're all dependent on our various 'repair centres' carrying out proper checks on our 'bikes when they're taken in for service - but, let's be honest, they don't.....

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I have read that 80% of deaths in Phuket are motorbike related.

No.  You have read that 80% of road deaths in Phuket are motorbike related.

Lots of other ways to lose one's life on Death Island.

Drowning, shooting, balcony dive (assisted suicide), electrocution...

Edited by fatdrunkandstupid

19 hours ago, fatdrunkandstupid said:

No.  You have read that 80% of road deaths in Phuket are motorbike related.

Lots of other ways to lose one's life on Death Island.

Drowning, shooting, balcony dive (assisted suicide), electrocution...

Aren't you a happy person:) 

Edited by thaibutty

21 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Know what you mean....

Not possessing a tyre gauge or being capable of checking tyre pressures, I rely on how my scooter 'feels'....  Once it feels a bit 'slippery' at the back, I know its time to get the tyre filled, and the 'repair centre' never uses a tyre pressure gauge.....

We're all dependent on our various 'repair centres' carrying out proper checks on our 'bikes when they're taken in for service - but, let's be honest, they don't.....

Tyre pressure gauges are available at the big tesco store for under 200 baht and they have hand pumps also

I have lived in Phuket for 20 years, and a few in Chiang Mai. Phuket has everything, mountains, blue seas, is always green, and you can choose the area you stay in. Very expensive ? Nope, if you choose to got West coast beach restaurants yes, for the rest you can eat for THB 30-120 Bht. You can drive off the island, go to Phang Nga, take boats to outlying islands, and not too many beer guzzling kow-it-alls, , good and cheap flight connections. I would never live anywhere else, especially not in Isarn, which is truly the sticks, dry, dusty, hot, and Chiang Mai with its droughts, pollution from forest and rice field burning. 

I first went to Phuket 30 years ago and loved it - there were no high rises, condos, and karon beach was a paradise with only a few thatched bungalows. Then I would have happily lived there. Now , forget it, the beaches are thoroughly f.....d and the sea is full of shit.The prices are so outrageous that you can eat, drink and be merry anywhere else in Thailand for half the price. It's obviously not for Isaan addicts and Pattaya is what it is - sleazy, Hua Hin could be OK for newbies but it's expensive. Go south of Rayong down to Koh Chang or down past Hua hin and head southwards if you like reasonable prices, real Thai lifestyle and not being ripped off and on top of that in those places you don't have to rub shoulders with the motliest crowd of tourists and expats you're likely to find outside pattaya!! Not that I care I've moved to Vietnam -whole differnt story, half the price of Thailand, easy visas, plenty of beaches and good food ,good beer, croissants and wine ! What more could a man want and the ladies..............................!!!

Keep going...

Agreed, if you keep going, then you'll end up on the Thai mainland, opposite north Phuket (opposite the Yacht Haven).  It's a beautiful and peaceful area, but still only a short drive from Phuket Airport.

4 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Agreed, if you keep going, then you'll end up on the Thai mainland, opposite north Phuket (opposite the Yacht Haven).  It's a beautiful and peaceful area, but still only a short drive from Phuket Airport.

I prefer to head over to Lam Suk and hang out with my Muslim fishermen friends.  I have caught some big black cobia around the abandoned fish farm.

On 6/3/2017 at 9:13 PM, timkeen08 said:

Isaan is nowhere near the ocean. Northeast Thailand from the Mekong river inward. Up across from Laos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Typical isaan kwai response. Not too quick on the uptake ey?

On 6/6/2017 at 10:58 PM, fatdrunkandstupid said:

Oh.  You must of been to Libya.  It is the only other place with a higher fatality rate.

Yep been there and experienced the driving, but Patong comes close!!!!!

On 6/3/2017 at 4:33 PM, tomwct said:

Why would you want to live in Phuket? You love tourists? You love foreign expats? You love Thai ladies for sex? You love paying too much at tourist restaurants? I've lived in Thailand for 13 years and love Isan. Very few tourists! Very few expats Love low costs Thai Food! I love my Thai wife! No, I would never live in Phuket, in fact, I've never been to Phuket and never plan to. Move to Isan and enjoy Thailand and it's

people.

Gee, that certainly answered his questions, why don't you tell him how you really feel about Phuket  -  ever spent any time there???

Regarding a few posts as to the cost of food here in Patong, well I can't really understand where any farangs are coming from with this, however I could if they were poor Thais (and I don't mean this disrespectfully).

If you want to eat Thai food you can find it in even the most built-up area of Patong for between 60 and 90 baht – – surely not too expensive for the everyday farang. What's more if you like to experiment you can even try to cook it in your own apartment, which I do, and it's as good as anything I've tasted in the average Thai restaurant here.

Furthermore if like me you prefer farang food, then I can visit my favourite Italian restaurant and get a main course for 260 to 280 baht or thereabouts, so IMO food is not expensive and it really amazes me that some farangs think it is. Whenever I go back to NZ, and I dine out (which is most of the time) I can pay well over 900 baht for an average main course, so living in Patong as regards the cost of food, well it's just great as far as I'm concerned.