Iran's leader lashes out at Trump, Saudis for anti-Tehran alliance

webfact

Iran's leader lashes out at Trump, Saudis for anti-Tehran alliance

REUTERS

r7.jpg

Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei waves during a ceremony marking the death anniversary of the founder of the Islamic Republic Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, in Tehran, Iran, June 4, 2017. Leader.ir/Handout via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS IMAGE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY. EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVE.

LONDON (Reuters) - Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei lashed out on Sunday against U.S. President Donald Trump and Saudi Arabia's leaders for their new regional alliance against Tehran, saying it would bear no fruit.

Trump singled out Iran as a key source of funding and support for militant groups during his visit to Saudi Arabia in late May, two days after the Iranian election in which pragmatist President Hassan Rouhani won a second term.

During Trump's visit to Riyadh, the U.S. sealed a $110 billion (85.34 billion pounds) arms deal with Saudi Arabia, Iran's regional arch-rival.

Khamenei called the visit a display of brazenness.

"The U.S. president stands alongside the leaders of a tribal and backward system and does the sword dance, but criticises an Iranian election with 40 million votes," the supreme leader said in a speech broadcast live on state TV.

"Even with a multi-billion dollar bribe to America, the Saudis cannot achieve their goals in the region," he said.

Khamenei accused Washington of double standards, saying it turned a blind eye to the "killing of Yemeni people in mosques, streets and their homes," while claiming to promote human rights around the world.

Saudi Arabia is leading a Sunni Arab coalition fighting the Iran-allied Houthis in Yemen, part of the same regional power struggle that is fuelling the war in Syria.

The Iranian president championed a nuclear deal with the United States and five other major powers in 2015 that led to the lifting of most sanctions against Iran, in return for curbs on its nuclear programme.

The landmark deal, however, has not led to normalisation of ties between the two countries that Tehran hoped for.

Trump has frequently called the agreement "one of the worst deals ever signed" and said Washington would review it.

European countries, Russia and China have expressed concern that the Trump administration might withdraw from the deal.

"European leaders are now saying the Americans are not trustworthy. Imam Khomeini said the same thing more than 30 years ago," Khamenei said at the mausoleum of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, marking the 1989 death of the founder of the Islamic Republic.

Relations with Washington were broken after Iran's 1979 Islamic revolution and enmity to the United States has long been a rallying point for hardline supporters of Khamenei in Iran.

Khamenei hailed the high turnout in the election, saying that it showed the majority of Iranians still supported the Islamic revolution and its uncompromising values.

(Reporting by Bozorgmehr Sharafedin; Editing by Tom Heneghan)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-05

I have to side with Iran on this one.  Though Iran has big problems, it just went through a democratic election (which was arguably more fair than the recent US election) and voters chose the less draconian of the two choices.   Compare that with the US which had a highly flawed election and voters chose the more draconian candidate.

How many 9-11 bombers came from Iran?  Zero.   How many from Saudi Arabia?  19.   Do the math. 

Trump is taking his Dividing ways around the world, widening rifts and exacerbating conflicts wherever he goes.   Saudis are bombing Yemenis.   Iranians aren't bombing anyone, though they are assisting Assad in Syria.    Instead of trying to be a peacemaker, Trump is pouring gas on the bonfire.

22 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

These troglodytes are the enemy of the modern free world, and should be treated as such. "Uncompromising values" ? my a**e !

I know what you mean. They actually execute people for being atheists. Oh wait..that's the Saudis. Trump's good friends.

Iran has been known to be the arch financier and enabler of many terrorist groups around the world many of them in sleeper cells waiting to be woken

up to do their dirty deeds, Iran is a state sponsored country of bigotry, LTGB hatred and chief executioner of thieves and petty crimes, homosexuals and adulteress are stoned to death... Iran meddles in country they have no business

being there, sending fighters and arms to many hotspots in the middle east,  what a lovely county to live, a real bastion of morality and justice for all....

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Iran has been known to be the arch financier and enabler of many terrorist groups around the world many of them in sleeper cells waiting to be woken up to do their dirty deeds, Iran is a state sponsored country of bigotry, LTGB hatred and chief executioner of thieves and petty crimes, homosexuals and adulteress are stoned to death... Iran meddles in country they have no business being there, sending fighters and arms to many hotspots in the middle east,  what a lovely county to live, a real bastion of morality and justice for all....

Compared to Saudi Arabia it's paradise. And when someone writes "It has been known..." be prepared for a huge unproveable if not downright false assertion to follow. That fact is that virtually all the terrorist attacks in the 21st century committed in the name of Islam were done by Sunni Muslims.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Iran has been known to be the arch financier and enabler of many terrorist groups around the world many of them in sleeper cells waiting to be woken up to do their dirty deeds, Iran is a state sponsored country of bigotry, LTGB hatred and chief executioner of thieves and petty crimes, homosexuals and adulteress are stoned to death... Iran meddles in country they have no business being there, sending fighters and arms to many hotspots in the middle east,  what a lovely county to live, a real bastion of morality and justice for all....

Iran meddles ? What business does the USA or UK have in the Middle East ?

Name some Iranian terrorist attacks in western countries please. Europe, UK, American....seems to me that 99% of all attacks directed at the west on our own soil are perpetrated by Sunni Muslim fanatics,

Just now, tonray said:

Iran meddles ? What business does the USA or UK have in the Middle East ?

Name some Iranian terrorist attacks in western countries please. Europe, UK, American....seems to me that 99% of all attacks directed at the west on our own soil are perpetrated by Sunni Muslim fanatics,

In the 21st century, I don't think there were any.

2 hours ago, sujoop said:

In Trump's own words:

Maybe Trump is right about that, or maybe not.  The bigger issue is:  Trump has zero credibility.  For as long as he's been in the limelight (with the 'birther' thing and lots more), he's been known by all reasonable people, to be a liar.      

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Iran has been known to be the arch financier and enabler of many terrorist groups around the world many of them in sleeper cells waiting to be woken up to do their dirty deeds, Iran is a state sponsored country of bigotry, LTGB hatred and chief executioner of thieves and petty crimes, homosexuals and adulteress are stoned to death... Iran meddles in country they have no business being there, sending fighters and arms to many hotspots in the middle east,  what a lovely county to live, a real bastion of morality and justice for all....

You're probably right, that Iran still has gaping problems to fix.  However, it can be shown that S.Arabia is probably worse.   Saudis don't have democracy, and they have a royal family which demands adulation, punishable by harsh law.

I was once stuck at SFO airport with little money.  The date on my return ticket was mistakenly put a month later than it should.  There was one nightly flight which went to my desired destination and they were over-booked for upcoming days.   I was looking at hanging at the airport for an indefinite period, maybe weeks.   An Iranian-American was in the same dilemma as me.  He befriended me and suggested we rent a van and drive to LAX (many hours south).  He also let me sleep in an extra room at his house in the suburbs.  He did all the driving and didn't mind that I didn't have enough to pay my share of the rented van.   We caught a plane in L.A.   Later, I sent him a check for my share of expenses.  

It's proof that, regardless of how we all bellyache about different countries, IT'S THEIR FLAWED LEADERS WE'VE GOT ISSUES WITH.  The actual day-to-day people are probably lovely - or at least fair-minded, decent folks.  Let's get rid of leaders, or at least allowing so much power to be wielded by them.   Leaders should be caretakers, at most.  

People should take more personal responsibility for their own lives and livelihood.  Countries should be more like Greenland, which takes care of its own affairs, but if it needs military back-up, it can look to Denmark and/or NATO.  

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

So you side with Saudi Arabia on this one? Amazing...

4 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

I know what you mean. They actually execute people for being atheists. Oh wait..that's the Saudis. Trump's good friends.

Yes Saudi  are same as Israeli  both can dp what they like . But lran and Pakistan r both a problem. Now Russia and china its w w 3 just undeclared  since the infamous 911. 

4 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

I have to side with Iran on this one.  Though Iran has big problems, it just went through a democratic election (which was arguably more fair than the recent US election) and voters chose the less draconian of the two choices.   Compare that with the US which had a highly flawed election and voters chose the more draconian candidate.

How many 9-11 bombers came from Iran?  Zero.   How many from Saudi Arabia?  19.   Do the math. 

Trump is taking his Dividing ways around the world, widening rifts and exacerbating conflicts wherever he goes.   Saudis are bombing Yemenis.   Iranians aren't bombing anyone, though they are assisting Assad in Syria.    Instead of trying to be a peacemaker, Trump is pouring gas on the bonfire.

Please explain your comment that the Iranian election was more fair than the US one?

4 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Whereas Iran executes people for being homosexual, committing adultery, etc, Very progressive.

13 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Please explain your comment that the Iranian election was more fair than the US one?

I don't think the Iranian election was heavily influenced by outside country's agents (adversarial or otherwise).   If you have better data than that, let us know.

Just now, boomerangutang said:

I don't think the Iranian election was heavily influenced by outside country's agents (adversarial or otherwise).   If you have better data than that, let us know.

I have no idea how fair the Iranian election was; or how free and democratic. You claim to so perhaps you could share that information with us?

Similarly, despite all the hype, rhetoric, media bias, committees, assertions and pontification, not one shred of actual evidence has been found that proves any other nation interfered to an extent in the US election that it influenced the result. Again, if you have evidence, rather than the nodding dog comments, please do share with us?

5 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

The only problem with the election is the Ayotollah tells the President what he can do and what he cannot. The Iranian people have no voice, but I agree the people do not approve of  Iran being the Number One Terrorist State in the World. The people go along with

the Ayotollah or lose their head, so no choice there.

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I have no idea how fair the Iranian election was; or how free and democratic. You claim to so perhaps you could share that information with us?

Similarly, despite all the hype, rhetoric, media bias, committees, assertions and pontification, not one shred of actual evidence has been found that proves any other nation interfered to an extent in the US election that it influenced the result. Again, if you have evidence, rather than the nodding dog comments, please do share with us?

If you don't want to believe the sun is hot or water is wet, that's your choice.  I've been paying attention to the cavalcade of info coming down the tubes about Trump and his honchos' dealings with the Russians as it relates to last year's election.   There is a lot of evidence for those who care to see it.   Plus, there's a whole lot more evidence which will come to light in upcoming weeks/months.

Maybe it's a small point for Trump fans, but all 17 US security agencies concur that Russia influenced the election in Trump's favor, and did so with certain Trump peoples' collusion.  ....and that finding came about before added reams of data which we've been privy to, during interim months.  And, as I say, a WHOLE LOT MORE damning info will be forthcoming - much of it verified, and much of it based on transcripts of US, Polish, UK, French, Russian and German intel intercepts.  

The Covfefe Man is going to go down hard, and drag down a lot of men and women with him.   It's a mixed bag whether it's good or bad that this is getting so stretched out.   I would rather the investigations concluded soon, but then the panels might miss data which trickles forth later,  similar to how Rep Congresspeople who voted for Flynn and Sessions didn't know how corrupt those two were until just after they voted.   .....Or perhaps they did know, but voted for fatally flawed nominees in order to give the finger to American people, Trump-style.

On the other hand, the advantage of the investigations moving at glacial pace is it will afford more time for intelligence-challenged Trump fans to realize how fatally flawed their hero is.   ....hopefully that will translate to many Rep loses in 2018 and 2020.

1 minute ago, boomerangutang said:

If you don't want to believe the sun is hot or water is wet, that's your choice.  I've been paying attention to the cavalcade of info coming down the tubes about Trump and his honchos' dealings with the Russians as it relates to last year's election.   There is a lot of evidence for those who care to see it.   Plus, there's a whole lot more evidence which will come to light in upcoming weeks/months.

Maybe it's a small point for Trump fans, but all 17 US security agencies concur that Russia influenced the election in Trump's favor, and did so with certain Trump peoples' collusion.  ....and that finding came about before added reams of data which we've been privy to, during interim months.  And, as I say, a WHOLE LOT MORE damning info will be forthcoming - much of it verified, and much of it based on transcripts of US, Polish, UK, French, Russian and German intel intercepts.  

The Covfefe Man is going to go down hard, and drag down a lot of men and women with him.   It's a mixed bag whether it's good or bad that this is getting so stretched out.   I would rather the investigations concluded soon, but then the panels might miss data which trickles forth later,  similar to how Rep Congresspeople who voted for Flynn and Sessions didn't know how corrupt those two were until just after they voted.   .....Or perhaps they did know, but voted for fatally flawed nominees in order to give the finger to American people, Trump-style.

On the other hand, the advantage of the investigations moving at glacial pace is it will afford more time for intelligence-challenged Trump fans to realize how fatally flawed their hero is.   ....hopefully that will translate to many Rep loses in 2018 and 2020.

How silly trying to equate believing something undeniable and easily tested is the same as lots of innuendo, be that in newspapers, TV or internet based.

So with all this "evidence" everywhere, which you totally believe" you should have no trouble providing it for us. The French Cyber-Security chief has publicly declared there is no evidence of Russian hacking or interference with the French elections. 

What sources do you have in the US, Polish, British, French, Russian (you wrote it) and German intelligence services? Can you share with us? Can we see this overwhelming evidence that is being kept secret but that you have seen?

We are still waiting !!!

And Iran - again, please provide the information and evidence you have to show the Iranian election was free, democratic and without state or outside influence.

Believing what you want to believe and justifying it with speculative unsubstantiated media quotes and references is  a modern phenomenon of the information age. Some aren't smart enough and believe all they're told; whilst others look only for snippets that justify what they want to believe as reality.

So we all look forward to your providing real evidence that proves the US election was unfair and that proves the Iranian one was fair.

Or should we assume it's all your imagination?

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

How silly trying to equate believing something undeniable and easily tested is the same as lots of innuendo, be that in newspapers, TV or internet based.

So with all this "evidence" everywhere, which you totally believe" you should have no trouble providing it for us. The French Cyber-Security chief has publicly declared there is no evidence of Russian hacking or interference with the French elections. 

What sources do you have in the US, Polish, British, French, Russian (you wrote it) and German intelligence services? Can you share with us? Can we see this overwhelming evidence that is being kept secret but that you have seen?

We are still waiting !!!

And Iran - again, please provide the information and evidence you have to show the Iranian election was free, democratic and without state or outside influence.

Believing what you want to believe and justifying it with speculative unsubstantiated media quotes and references is  a modern phenomenon of the information age. Some aren't smart enough and believe all they're told; whilst others look only for snippets that justify what they want to believe as reality.

So we all look forward to your providing real evidence that proves the US election was unfair and that proves the Iranian one was fair.

Well, we know that the victor of the Iranian election was not the person favored by the ruling mullahs. That's a pretty good indication right there.

2 hours ago, tomwct said:

The only problem with the election is the Ayotollah tells the President what he can do and what he cannot. The Iranian people have no voice, but I agree the people do not approve of  Iran being the Number One Terrorist State in the World. The people go along with

the Ayotollah or lose their head, so no choice there.

Kind of like Wall Street here...ha ha ha

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

How silly trying to equate believing something undeniable and easily tested is the same as lots of innuendo, be that in newspapers, TV or internet based. So with all this "evidence" everywhere, which you totally believe" you should have no trouble providing it for us. The French Cyber-Security chief has publicly declared there is no evidence of Russian hacking or interference with the French elections. 

What sources do you have in the US, Polish, British, French, Russian (you wrote it) and German intelligence services? Can you share with us? Can we see this overwhelming evidence that is being kept secret but that you have seen? We are still waiting !!! And Iran - again, please provide the information and evidence you have to show the Iranian election was free, democratic and without state or outside influence.

So we all look forward to your providing real evidence that proves the US election was unfair and that proves the Iranian one was fair. Or should we assume it's all your imagination?

I wrote a long detailed answer to your goading q's, but chose not to put it here, because we're getting off topic. Check on one of the Trump topics.  I'll paste it there.

7 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

We are still waiting !!!

God knows where you get your misinformation from.

http://www.snopes.com/2017/05/10/french-election-russian-hack/

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Well for a start everyone that wanted to vote got to vote. There were no closing of polls early as there were in red areas in the US