Report: All foreign tourists will soon need insurance in order to enter Thailand

webfact

All EU nations require this of Thai applicants. Other nations I have visited as well. Seems like smart policy to me and this insurance is not expensive - less than 30THB per day in most cases

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

And remember this is really about insurance for tourists, not for those of us living here.  We are all (myself included) jumping to a lot of assumptions.

It would be fairly easy to normalize it by adding an airport fee, (about equal to the cost of a travel policy at $25-50) making it the same for all international arrivals.  Or maybe a percentage of the ticket price, perhaps 3-6%.  

(Edit: and keep in mind, they're not covering lost luggage or trip cancellation costs, just critical health care)

That way, old farts like myself wouldn't be locked out.

Multiply $25-50 by the number of international arrivals and I think they'd fill the budget gap with enough left over for "customary spillage", and it would barely be felt as you click the "Buy" button on Orbitz or Expedia.  Hell, I've had differentials bigger than that when I waited a day to buy my ticket...

26 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Yay ... more American bashing!  <deleted>.

Noticed how I said OR American? When the majority of a country is against universal health care, then yes, they probably also don't believe in travel insurance.

6 minutes ago, wump said:

Noticed how I said OR American? When the majority of a country is against universal health care, then yes, they probably also don't believe in travel insurance.

On the contrary.  Americans are so accustomed to fighting and dealing with health insurance companies that it's almost part of our daily lives- especially if we've ever been self employed.

I worry more about the Commies Euro's who never had to deal with the financial issues of health care aside from having that big chunk disappear from their paycheck every month.

3 hours ago, maewang99 said:

this type of care is not that expensive. a vehicle accident at worse, yes? a heart attack is some standard drugs. the serious stuff you can be sent back home for.. or just denied.

Stupidest thing I've read today.

You seriously think that a heart attack can be cured by "standard Drugs"?

You best ring all cardiac surgeons and let them know that they can retire now, as standard drugs will now replace the need for stents, bypasses and pacemakers (Just to name a few things) when someone is unfortunate enough to have a heart attack.

My local Thai gov hospital is not burdened by lots of foreigners queuing up for healthcare. Instead its old poor Thais who can't afford private and get cheap healthcare because of their age. The health service is overloaded because of demand because it's cheap. 

Even with the gov free/cheap healthcare there is only so much you will get free before you have to pay. Replacing knees for example. In this case you would get cheap/free drugs to relieve the pain but not the expensive op.

Same case with foreigners. Got a graze on your leg from falling off your bike? No problem; its a quick easy treatment. But if you break anything then you need to pay.

So its all a storm in a tea  cup, and another way to generate revenue? But you could argue that mass tourism generates alot of revenue anyway?  

I am always insured but it has lots of exclusions; eg motorbikes if you dont have a bike license in your home country.

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

I understand that it puts a burden on the Thai health system but I also read many stories on Thaivisa where foreigners are held in hospitals until family or friends pay up before they are released from custody.  This also puts a burden on the health system.  Yes I agree all tourists should have travel insurance and all expats insurance.

Expats insurance? Then what happens when they reach seventy, increased premiums that they cannot afford to pay? "that's fine we have got your money, now beat it".

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Idiotic, it's bad enough now with the Chinese at DM, imagine the 'queues' for insurance machines, folks with no baht, arguing, kids crying, machines breaking down, laughable.

'The requirement is seen as helping to reduce the burden on Thai hospitals who are being forced to treat an increasing number of insured foreigners.'

No problem then according to the article if foreigners are insured why is it costing Hospitals?

Why not just put the machines in the hospital, where the "problem' is.

(Sarcasm)

Just now, dcnx said:

'Cause by the time you get to the hospital, it's a little late to be thinking about buying insurance?

3 minutes ago, dcnx said:

If you are for real then you'd be a serious contender for the most stupid post of the year.

Whilst it is understandable - given that tourist generate about 20% of Thailand GDP and the actual numbers involved here are pretty low - I remember a Phuket hospital - Think it was the Vachira - stating that they treated 330 foreigners (uninsured) which cost them 1.2 million baht in 2008 (including funeral rites as well). I know its a bit old - but the numbers here seem pretty small when the overall contribution is factored in. 

It seems the insurance company will make a killing as 99% of insurance will remain unused. 

9 minutes ago, jonclark said:

It seems the insurance company will make a killing as 99% of insurance will remain unused. 

I'm forecasting the other way, where thousands of tourists who paid their $25-50 travel policy line up to get their chest pains evaluated, as they will no doubt feel entitled- what with the insurance and all.

Edit:  On a serious note, I wonder how many guys who would have just rubbed dirt on it and gone on with their holiday would now show up for treatment just because they have the coverage?

(BTW, just to be clear, "rub dirt on it" was the go-to solution to every little league injury that didn't involve unconsciousness)

4 hours ago, smedly said:

100% correct, absolutely impossible, if this ever gets approved it will be nothing but a scam.

what they should be doing is charging all foreign people arriving in Thailand 500 or possibly 1000baht to cover any eventualities, most people have insurance anyway (oh and they already charge 500baht and charge some for visa)

I wonder as a percentage how many people arriving here need medical attention and factor in those already with medical insurance and also consider that some will be victims of the poor safety and lack of standards in Thailand 

when all is considered Thailand should be paying foreigners to come here lol

Was going to put forward my support of the compulsory insurance to clear immigration idea, but then I read your "Don't argue with a fool,,, etc,,"

4 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Better read the fine print for exemptions on your policy as Asia has plenty regarding what you do for fun or ride to get around !

You're right - and the fine print when it comes to these policies are massive. The queues at "vending machines" would be massive

1 minute ago, ncc1701d said:

You're right - and the fine print when it comes to these policies are massive. The queues at "vending machines" would be massive

I wont be queuing up to throw Baht down a vending machines throat.

Travel insurance is a part of my holiday preparations. 

It's just polite if nothing else.

46 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

And remember this is really about insurance for tourists, not for those of us living here.  We are all (myself included) jumping to a lot of assumptions.

True enough; however, one should never underestimate the capacity of governments and bureaucracies to shoot themselves in the foot.

3 hours ago, kurtmartens said:

Thanks!  I was about to post the same.  At the risk of being called out on here, I am curious as to why some folks see this as idiotic?  Why should the Thai government be burdened with the health care costs for "tourists" who come here and then need medical care?  I am guessing this isn't aimed at the average tourist, but at the folks who come here on a 30 day visa and stay for months or years with no means of supporting themselves/thinking they can live on 500 Baht a day, etc.

i'm not a tourist; what i AM is a SENSIBLE expat who doesn't need to show off my money

or prove anything to anybody- i live QUITE nicely on  500 baht a day, even including

my  rent & utility expenses, 2 meals and a few beers

52 minutes ago, impulse said:

On the contrary.  Americans are so accustomed to fighting and dealing with health insurance companies that it's almost part of our daily lives- especially if we've ever been self employed.

I worry more about the Commies Euro's who never had to deal with the financial issues of health care aside from having that big chunk disappear from their paycheck every month.

your Commies/Euros remark, coupled with your frankly  stunning  ignorance makes me ashamed to even acknowledge

that i was born in America

One can see by the number of responses that Healthcare is a major issue all over the World. The American system is the worst example of uncaring governments and greedy insurance companies and for profit hospitals not caring about what their purposes is which is making people well. (yes, I am American)

The only solution to universal healthcare is the Japanese, Canadian, EU model of a single payer system in which everyone has coverage even visitors.  Healthcare should never be a profit making endeavor- it is a universal human right.

All visitors to any country should be covered automatically by that country- the cost then sent to the person's passport country which then repays the country being visited. All the talk of machines at airports and other schemes to extract added money from travelers is nonsense. Let's get profit out of healthcare and pharmaceutics once and for all and start taking care of people.

I get a kick out of the way they bring this nugget up every once in a while.  

Bottom line is they have a hospital budget gap to fill from foreigners who can't or won't pay.  Rather than calling it "health insurance", they could just add a couple of points to the airport taxes and stop all the debate.  A couple of percent can make up the budget shortfall (with customary leakage) and be a barely perceptible adder on a typical R/T international ticket.

And nobody's panties get in a wad.

4 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

your Commies/Euros remark, coupled with your frankly  stunning  ignorance makes me ashamed to even acknowledge

that i was born in America

If they're going to dish it out, I'm gonna shovel it back.  Sorry if it offends you.  But not sorry I said it.

Just now, impulse said:

If they're going to dish it out, I'm gonna shovel it back.  Sorry if it offends you.  But not sorry I said it.

oh you're shoveling something, that's for sure;

the same thing you're full of!!! :post-4641-1156694005:

3 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

oh you're shoveling something, that's for sure;

the same thing you're full of!!! 

You must really enjoy it here.  This is a forum after all.  Complete with smack talk and some good natured back and forth.  Just like back home.

And some folks with a sense of humor.  But apparently not all.

I think there's an Ignore button for that.

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

You must really enjoy it here.  This is a forum after all.  Complete with smack talk and some good natured back and forth.  Just like back home.

And some folks with a sense of humor.  But apparently not all.

I think there's an Ignore button for that.

one small point re humor: i am a writer, among many other skills, i get paid for comedy (and even did stand-up for 6 years in the 80's!)

and as for "just like back home"-

that's where you & i differ- i will never consider America to be home;

to me, the USA is a foreign country fast becoming a two-bit banana republic

with an insane military-industrial oligarchy having control of everything,

including nuclear weapons and endless wars

i could go on but the thought of the USA nauseates me

THAILAND is my home, and i could not imagine living elsewhere;

but if ever i had to leave here, it would be to elsewhere in SE Asia, or Europe,

or UK, ANYWHERE but America...

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

When are you going back, out of Thailand?

Visiting Europe now and heading back to BKK tomorrow and looking forward to it.  Don't know what day I leave BKK to never return but if the day comes that I feel despised by the locals or think the country is not enjoyable then I will head for Swampy with my two suitcases and never return. Good and bad people in BKK and Issan and anywhere you go. No man or woman is perfect and I fail regularly to be the best person I can be, but keep trying to enjoy life with others.  I believe Thailand has a lot to offer expats and I am thankful for the yearly extension of stay. 

Basically there would be no way to check that the insurance is valid and in effect.  Sure somebody may be able to produce an insurance card, or even a policy statement, but that could easily have expired or been canceled.  One would have to check the source, and that is pretty much impossible since people arrive in Thailand at hours when the insurance company or agent is closed in their native land, evenings, weekends, etc.  Now any visa holder possibly could be required to show some sort of insurance as part of getting their visa approved.  But what kind of insurance? Travel insurance for accidents?  Medical insurance for overall health issues?  As others have said the issue would be generally unworkable.  Of course, it is possible that Thailand will set up some sort of national insurance database, and prior to traveling you must somehow interface with that, register your insurance coverage and type and details, etc.  Again, for casual tourists that often fly with out a lot of advance planning, that won't work.  When I used to buy travel insurance I bought it just a few days before I traveled.  My current insurance coverages are fine so I don't need to buy anything extra

10 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

One can see by the number of responses that Healthcare is a major issue all over the World. The American system is the worst example of uncaring governments and greedy insurance companies and for profit hospitals not caring about what their purposes is which is making people well. (yes, I am American)

The only solution to universal healthcare is the Japanese, Canadian, EU model of a single payer system in which everyone has coverage even visitors.  Healthcare should never be a profit making endeavor- it is a universal human right.

All visitors to any country should be covered automatically by that country- the cost then sent to the person's passport country which then repays the country being visited. All the talk of machines at airports and other schemes to extract added money from travelers is nonsense. Let's get profit out of healthcare and pharmaceutics once and for all and start taking care of people.

Your username would suggest that you believe what you wrote about healthcare not being a profit making endeavour. It's exactly that. A dream. Being American I can understand why you want it but it's not going to happen, is it?

I think the idea of travel insurance should be compulsory to any country in the world unless there is an agreement between the two countries you are traveling from and to. It's not an expensive part of traveling and it's plain common sense. When my wife came to the UK 15 months ago and an annual policy with BUPA for 12 months was £80.

Archived