Beatles back on Billboard with 'Sgt. Pepper' 50th anniversary release

webfact

Beatles back on Billboard with 'Sgt. Pepper' 50th anniversary release

REUTERS

r10.jpg

The faces of the four Beatles appear on the fabric of a shirt for sale in a shop in Liverpool northern England, March 2, 2015. REUTERS/Phil Noble/Files

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Beatles returned to the Billboard 200 album charts with the 50th anniversary reissue of classic "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," according to data from Nielsen SoundScan on Monday.

The remastered version of the "Sgt. Pepper" 1967 album sold more than 75,000 units for the week to take the No. 3 spot on the Billboard 200. It was the highest Billboard 200 ranking for the British rock quartet in some 16 years, when its greatest hits album "1" spent several weeks at or near the top of the chart, Billboard said.

Still, The Beatles were not big enough to steal the thunder of Kentucky rapper Bryson Tiller, 24, whose "True to Self" sold 106,000 units in its first week and took the No. 1 spot.

Kendrick Lamar's "Damn." held onto second place with another 84,000 units sold in its seventh week of release.

The Billboard 200 album chart tallies units from album sales, song sales (10 songs equal one album) and streaming activity (1,500 streams equal one album).

On the digital songs chart, which measures online single sales, Puerto Rican singer Luis Fonsi's "Despacito" featuring Justin Bieber held onto the top spot for a fourth week with another 148,0000 copies sold.

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-06

55 minutes ago, Travel2003 said:

Ahhh, yet another recirculated product.

Music industry, as the film industry have run dry, long time ago.

Sgt Peppers and the Beatles will be long remembered after this rap crap and digitalised music and their performers are long forgotten

'She's leaving home, bye bye' (I don't know why I wrote those particular lyrics here, but......)

Too bad John and George aren't still around.  

Did you know Jimi Hendrix did a live version of the 'Sgt.Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band' song?

Another bit of useless trivia:  I used to be able to sing the entire album from first to last note. 

1 minute ago, boomerangutang said:

'She's leaving home, bye bye' (I don't know why I wrote those particular lyrics here, but......)

Too bad John and George aren't still around.  

Did you know Jimi Hendrix did a live version of the 'Sgt.Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band' song?

Another bit of useless trivia:  I used to be able to sing the entire album from first to last note. 

I never knew about the Jimi Hendrix version of the almost intro to the album. I will have to look it up (I loved his version of the US anthem)

"I read the news today, oh boy" always is a  line that I remember. And "I'm fixing a hole" always comes to mind as I try to repair the dodgy roof I have here in Thailand.

I could never claim to know all the words unless I heard the album, which is not in a long time. I tried to buy the limited edition reprint of all the original albums but missed out on the bids.

BTW, I am a Stones and Floyd super fan. lol 

Read recently that Sgt. Pepper was a real life cop in Canada with the Ontario Provincial Police. Just before they recorded the record he headed their security while they were in Toronto.

2 minutes ago, pegman said:

Read recently that Sgt. Pepper was a real life cop in Canada with the Ontario Provincial Police. Just before they recorded the record he headed their security while they were in Toronto.

You are probably correct. "Lovely Rita, meter maid" was a real life lady handing out parking infringements.

John Lennon wrote "A Day in the Life" from a newspaper article about Lancashire coal mines.

It is hard to define why or how the Beatles produced so many songs and tunes in such a short time.

Their creative output over less than 10 years is astounding. All members went on to create their own musical output after the Beatles disbanded

.I am still a Stones fan and yet I acknowledge that members of the Beatles showed the Stones how to write songs. (bless them)

The world was mostly innocent then, I still reflect on the innocence that I enjoyed back in the early 60's and how that was shattered forever so easily. 

3 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

You are probably correct. "Lovely Rita, meter maid" was a real life lady handing out parking infringements.

John Lennon wrote "A Day in the Life" from a newspaper article about Lancashire coal mines.

It is hard to define why or how the Beatles produced so many songs and tunes in such a short time.

Their creative output over less than 10 years is astounding. All members went on to create their own musical output after the Beatles disbanded

.I am still a Stones fan and yet I acknowledge that members of the Beatles showed the Stones how to write songs. (bless them)

The world was mostly innocent then, I still reflect on the innocence that I enjoyed back in the early 60's and how that was shattered forever so easily. 

The story.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/real-sgt-pepper-was-straitlaced-canadian-cop-no-fan-of-the-beatles-1.3439578#

1 minute ago, Beats56 said:

Pink Floyds dark side of the moon  was on the charts for 25 years.

I think it is still referred to as being the most important collection of songs in one release (no one knows what an album means anymore) for the 20th century.

But Sgt Peppers still rates and I love both albums, in fact all the albums of both groups. I am still a Stones fan though. Along with Clapton and so many others

15 hours ago, pegman said:

Thank you for that link. It confirms the original post.

The thing is, they interpreted what was happening around them into musical prose .

It also says the Beatles members charmed him and he left them feeling better about the new age pop that was about to be released.

Probably not so with the new age crap, sorry rap stars on display now.