Thai maids throwing your stuff away

Hal65

I had a broom with a moderate amount of bent bristles and my Thai maid threw it away on a recent cleaning.

Another maid threw away my cutting board a while back. I'd give it about a 7/10 in condition: scarred from chopping and discolored, but still fully functional. She also threw away an old scrubber (which was fine) and a tupperware container that it was in (not ok)

Have you guys noticed an unusual willingness for the maids to throw away things that probably shouldn't be? It's times like this where I wish I put more time into the language.

Edited by Hal65

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She threw away the broom because the bent bristles made it impossible for her to sweep your filthy floor.

While she was making your daily meals she cut her finger on the cutting board with blood spurting all over it so thank buddha she threw that away.

And no she didn't throw away your tupperware container, she took it home to use as her son's school lunchbox since the lid was a nice bright colour.

The broom I'm not sure about but I suspect it was thrown in the trash. Here are some compounding details: The maid cut open the plastic on a weight bench and also some dumbells. So I get the sense she carries her "woman of the household" mindset into her work.

The other maid who tossed the cuttingboard and container, I actually found those in the trash right after. 

I had cleaning woman who 'threw' away various household items. Eventually I had to change term to stealing after she 'threw' away my mobile. It had fallen into waste bin beside my bed and she deduced I no longer wanted it and took it home. She first told me she threw it away.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

cutting boards, broom ......  these are so cheap in Thailand ....  a broom is like 100bht and a cutting board is 150bht ....     just buy a new clean one ....

Why? Just clean the old one.

One reason the landfills are full and that natural resources are running out is that people throw away far too much when they could make do very easily with what they have. Price is not the only criteria.

27 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Why? Just clean the old one.

One reason the landfills are full and that natural resources are running out is that people throw away far too much when they could make do very easily with what they have. Price is not the only criteria.

yes Kitty, but cutting boards are disgusting ... a bit like dish cloths, they harbor all sorts of nasties so better to just throw away .... 

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes Kitty, but cutting boards are disgusting ... a bit like dish cloths, they harbor all sorts of nasties so better to just throw away .... 

I think the maid read this article in advanced, that's why she threw the cutting board out: 

Men have a higher threshold for scruffy appearance than women. I have come across this on many occasions. This applies to hair, clothes, room cleanliness, curtains, bedding, cleaning implements such as brooms, kitchen equipment such as cutting boards, plugs, mirrors, just about everything really.

Men are more focused on functionality. If it looks old and worn but still works, it tends to be ok.

If you feel the issue is about dominance, i.e. who has the right to decide what gets thrown out, I suggest you demand loyalty from the maid and give her a dominance handshake whilst pulling her off balance, grinning and gripping her shoulder. Failing that, fire her. It seems to be the trend these days.

Here is my list of bad things maids have done in our house hold:

1. Stolen 2 barbeques. (got them back after confronting her. she thought I didn't need to bbq). Fired her.

2. Came home at lunch and found maid with 3 of her friends eating lunch in my living room. Fired her.

3. Maid washed a Armani silk neck tie ruining it. (explained to her how to wash cloths)

4. Maid was stealing little items like hair brushes, cleaning utensils (mops, brooms brushes etc) (Oh that was same maid from #1),

5. Maid was either stealing or throwing away cutlery. She left on her own after a while.

6. Not a maid but caught a aircon cleaner looking through our wardrobes. When she noticed my wife standing there she just went back to cleaning the aircon. Never had them come back and now always follow any repair person everywhere.

7. Don't have maid anymore. Using an iRobot Roomba and a dish washer.

Edited by RBOP

Forget the past; tell the maid that anything she wants to have thrown out is to be approved by you. Most likely those "to be thrown out and finally thrown out" articles are enjoying a second life cycle on this country's beautiful country side ;-) 

I had a "friend" once who was obsessed with throwing away my dirty socks.

She used to religiously ( and unnecessarily as it was a hotel room) clean the bathroom every day.

I half noticed that I seemed to be getting short of socks, but didn't concern myself with it much.

I finally twigged when I washed one pair and hung them on the shower rail to dry out. I was getting down to my last pair note.The next day I went to the bathroom to get them to wear and they too had gone.

The issue of the socks finally came to a head and I realised that my decent, but dirty, socks had been gradually disposed of.

I confronted her (with not much degree of anger as we are talking about socks here) and she said she assumed that once they were worn I no longer wanted them.

Eh? I mentioned that I had washed the latest pair in order to wear again.

Cruelly, I made her go out and at her expense buy me half a dozen new pairs. I got cheap street socks in return. I was peeved again as mine were M & S no less.

This trifle did cause me some anger, not so much for the lost socks but because of the rank stupidity behind her actions.

Can anybody explain? Was it some religious thing practised by some obscure Buddhist cult from the rice fields of the North-East or was it some over-zealous act perpetrated for purposes of hygiene?

We have lost a lot of different items over the years to maids and workers helping themselves. Claimed to have thrown out but mostly taken home for themselves with the attitude that we have a lot of money and we can buy a new one.

About a year ago we moved into another house down the road, lost heaps, clothes, toys, tools and a couple of small appliances etc.The maid and workers know nothing.

2 day's ago I asked my wife i haven't seen my Birkenstock sandals I bought on a trip to Germany. Searched everywhere ...gone.

Repair and maintenance workers are another story. You have to follow them around.  Then they need to borrow tools, ladder etc and then load them into their ute and drive off if you don't ask for them back.

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

"She also threw away an old scrubber ".......................

Man, I have done that lots of times in my life........:tongue:

I just had to scan down to see how many posts it would take  14 was the answer!!!!!  Thank you.  No Brits in the  first 13 posts!!!!

And, in the same vein,  50 is not really the same as 2x 25's.

Edited by The Deerhunter